PDA

View Full Version : Anyone after a DM45?

Jekyll and Hyde
16th November 2010, 10:14 PM
Drill Mill Gear Head Single Phase CMG Motor (eBay item 320618203320 end time 23-Nov-10 14:43:53 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Drill-Mill-Gear-Head-Single-Phase-CMG-Motor-/320618203320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4aa65588b8)

This just popped up on Ebay, pretty cheap for a brand new DM45 if anyone was after one - normally they're double that! The seller is obviously a staff member at Standaco in Nunawading, has listed various things from them before. No affiliation etc, just thought if someone here is in the market for a 45 it was a bargain...

malb
18th November 2010, 06:55 PM
Bransby P/L is the parent company of Standaco. Standaco is a trading name. Looked at these a fair while ago, along with a lathe and drill press. At that time the Mill was about $2K with stand and customer choice of R8 or 3MT spindle. More recently they had a decent used King Rich starting at about $2K with tooling.

matthew_g
18th November 2010, 09:05 PM
I was in at Standaco last week and was informed that they are moving away from home/hobby machines. But on a good note I managed to buy a drill press off them for $35 brand new:D They are selling out of home/hobby stuff really cheap

neksmerj
19th November 2010, 09:43 PM
The going price for a DM45 is approx $1803 incl GST from machines4u.

Ken

Big Shed
23rd November 2010, 03:42 PM
Thank you Jekyll and Hyde, once I pay for it I will be the proud owner of a DM45 mill:2tsup:

Dave J
23rd November 2010, 05:13 PM
Great score Big Shed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: You got it at a unbelievable price.
That mill will remove material fast, do you have the lifting gear to lift it?

Dave

Big Shed
23rd November 2010, 05:21 PM
Great score Big Shed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: You got it at a unbelievable price.
That mill will remove material fast, do you have the lifting gear to lift it?

Dave

Nope!:o

However a mate has one of those hydraulic engine cranes on wheels so hopefully that will handle it, if not I'll have to hire something that will.

Must admit I am a bit overawed by the size of the thing, it was only at the last minute that I finally decided to go for it.

My main reason for upgrading from my little X2 was not so much that this can remove metal much faster, but almost every addition I wanted to buy for the X2 wouldn't fit, eg rotary tables etc. I was about to make a DRO for it, I guess I need bigger scales now!

Not sure whether this one has an MT4 or an R8 spindle, guess I'll find out. If I have a choice, should I go for the R8?

Dave J
23rd November 2010, 06:57 PM
This one should do you a life time as far as size goes, and like you said tooling will fit.
It will also give you more room for set up's like angle plates etc. If your mate has an engine crane it should handle it no problems at all as they only weigh around 400-450kg's.

If I had a choice between those 2 spindle tapers I would go for the R8, after all they were good enough for a full size Bridgeport. I know you buy a lot of tools overseas so you will have a wider range to pick from and the R8 is a lot more common.

From what I have read their is a little pin up in the R8 taper to locate the tool and it is advisable to remove it strait away, because if the collet spins it will jam up and can damage things.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Dave

Jekyll and Hyde
23rd November 2010, 07:03 PM
Not sure whether this one has an MT4 or an R8 spindle, guess I'll find out. If I have a choice, should I go for the R8?

Personally, I'd say R8, (Standaco did used to offer R8). The Americans love their R8, as for them there is so much stuff floating around off old Bridgeports. However, R8 is not plentiful here like the US, it seems to be on the whole about as common as MT3. MT4 seems to be slightly uncommon, as most hobby machines seem to be MT3.

That said, R8 is readily available from the usual international sellers, particularly American ones, and I've never had any trouble getting the arbour out of the spindle, which is not what I've heard about MT. I just loosen my drawbar about 2 turns, and give the top a sharp tap with a hammer, and the arbour drops straight down.

Thank you Jekyll and Hyde, once I pay for it I will be the proud owner of a DM45 mill:2tsup:

Glad someone here found it useful. I've got to say, if that had come up about 6 months ago, I would have been the proud owner of a DM45 at that price! Hope you enjoy it. :D

neksmerj
23rd November 2010, 09:27 PM
BS,

Congratulations, that's one hell of a bargain. I too considered bidding, but don't have a workshop, as yet.

Have sent you a PM.

Ken

Sterob
23rd November 2010, 10:01 PM
However a mate has one of those hydraulic engine cranes on wheels so hopefully that will handle it, if not I'll have to hire something that will.

That's what I use.... Mine handles the Mill no worries. I use a soft sling around the Head, lower the head as far as possible and you shouldn't have any problems.
Can be moved by one person, but is better with two.

Big Shed
24th November 2010, 08:12 PM
It's been confirmed that the spindle is R8, so I guess I'll be buying a few bits and bobs from the US. I'd better be quick before Mr Shorten puts the GST on it:o

Dave J
24th November 2010, 09:32 PM
Don't forget CTC, he has ER 32-R8 collet chucks for $15.50. Thats where I wish mine was a R8.

Dave

Stustoys
24th November 2010, 09:42 PM
Dave, couldn't a fella such as yourself make a NT30 to R8 adaptor?
Stuart

Big Shed
24th November 2010, 10:13 PM
Don't forget CTC, he has ER 32-R8 collet chucks for $15.50. Thats where I wish mine was a R8.

Dave

Yep, found that one, was going to upsize from ER25 to ER32 anyway, so that'll go on the list:2tsup:

CDCO has quite a bit of R8 stuff as well, even an R8-MT3 converter, but I'll get all replacement stuff for my MT3 stuff, not that much of it anyway.

Dave J
24th November 2010, 10:15 PM
Don't worry I have thought about it.lol
They are available to buy but I don't think there is a draw bar holding it in.
I have thought about making one with no top thread and a large flange with 2 holes drilled into it for holding it in with the bolts of the drive dogs on the NT spindle. That way the draw bar could go strait through to the NT adapter into R8 collet chuck.

Dave

Jekyll and Hyde
24th November 2010, 10:28 PM
Yep, found that one, was going to upsize from ER25 to ER32 anyway, so that'll go on the list:2tsup:

CDCO has quite a bit of R8 stuff as well, even an R8-MT3 converter, but I'll get all replacement stuff for my MT3 stuff, not that much of it anyway.

On the topic of ER collet chucks, I had trouble deciding whether to go with a full set of ER32 or a full set of ER40. I wanted to have the bigger collets of the ER40 just in case (21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 you can't have with ER32), but I was worried about the size of the ER40 chuck itself, particularly with smaller endmills etc around tight features.

I did some maths on the CTC site and worked out that for less than $20 more than the price of a full ER40 chuck and collet set, I could buy a full ER32 set, plus an ER40 chuck and the 6 collets that are bigger than the biggest ER32 collet. Problem solved!

Probably not so much of an issue on a DM45, as you are probably pretty unlikely to want to use something that needs an ER40 chuck, but this post just reminded me about it, so I thought I'd point it out for anyone else who's trying to make a decision.

Big Shed
24th November 2010, 10:39 PM
My reservation on the ER40 chuck is the physical size, also my lathe won't be able to make full use of the larger collets as the internal spindle is only 21mm IIRC.

Therefore I will go for the ER32 full set, an R8 ER32 chuck and an ER32 chuck from Chronos to replace my ER25 chuck (the one that is open at the back, not the MT3 type)

If at some stage I need something bigger for the mill, unlikely, I will cross that bridge if and when.

Dave J
24th November 2010, 10:40 PM
You can now go up to 30mm with ER40, at a cost though.
Increase the capacity of your ER40 collet chuck to 30mm (eBay item 220689430186 end time 28-Nov-10 21:27:49 AEDST) : Business, Office Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220689430186&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Dave

jatt
25th November 2010, 06:48 AM
I was wondering who beat me on getting that mill!!But no hard feelings. Unfortunately work commitments meant I couldnt watch the last few hours on ebay.Talk about a steal, damn good price, especially after what I paid for mine. The head is identical to the unit I have, except mine has a MT3 spindle.Should do the job nicely. Recon the ER32 is the go, that's what I'm using.

Big Shed
25th November 2010, 07:36 AM
Now what would you have done with TWO mills??:o:;

Dave J
25th November 2010, 03:34 PM
Trying to out bid a bloke that doesn't even have one when you already do, just because it's cheap, you are a true tool alcoholic.lol

Dave

Jekyll and Hyde
25th November 2010, 07:33 PM
My reservation on the ER40 chuck is the physical size, also my lathe won't be able to make full use of the larger collets as the internal spindle is only 21mm IIRC.

Therefore I will go for the ER32 full set, an R8 ER32 chuck and an ER32 chuck from Chronos to replace my ER25 chuck (the one that is open at the back, not the MT3 type)

If at some stage I need something bigger for the mill, unlikely, I will cross that bridge if and when.

Just for giggles, have a look at this photo! It was about the time I put these two together I decided I'd definitely made the right choice. ER40 and ER32 in R8 from CTC tools.

Dave J
25th November 2010, 08:15 PM
Thats a big difference, you made the right choice.
I think the NT/ER chucks compared side by side are the same as yours with the amount of projection from the spindle.

Dave

jatt
27th November 2010, 06:22 AM
Now what would you have done with TWO mills??Would have retired my round column to drill press duties. It suffers all the usual probs wrt adjusting the height of the Z axis, not to mention the odd occasion where it decides to move by itself when milling. Recon I have got a fix for that, just havent gotten around to making it up. Its advantage is it has more Z axis adjustment than a benchtop as its a pedestal unit. Obviously the dovetail unit doesnt suffer that movement issue.Then given my elcheapo wobbly H&F drill press to my brother.I put a bid in for it the moment I saw this thread. Actually I was surprised it didnt receive more bids.Good to see it went to a forum member. Jatt

Big Shed
27th November 2010, 07:13 AM
Quite interesting to see that there were only 2 bids for this, and they came from 2 people living only about 6km apart (I live just off the Maldon Rd)!

I was really surprised that the $990 bid that was placed a long time before I bid, was your maximum bid.

I placed a higher bid just before the auction closing but I got it for only $10 more than your bid, amazing, I really expected this to go higher. I'm not complaining though.

Went to collect it yesterday, another 400km round trip to Melbourne, and it was interesting to visit Standaco in Nunawading. Boy do they have some nice machines there, some really big knee mils on display there.

They almost gave me the wrong DM45, they have one there with a 3phase motor driven through an inverter on 240V. It was only a 1.1KW motor though.

The one I collected has a 1.5KW 240V motor made by CMG. I was surprised how quiet and smooth this machine runs. I decided to buy the stand for it as well, was going to make my own but the coolant tray decided me. That is one solid stand!

Also picked up a 14mm clamp kit for it as the clamp kit for my X2 would certainly be too small for this monster.

This company also sells a lot of Vertex stuff, so if you are in the market for tooling, or indeed mills and lathes, it would pay to give them a call.

http://www.standaco.com.au/

I was certainly impressed with their service, very helpful people there.

Will put up some pics later.

Jekyll and Hyde
27th November 2010, 09:00 AM
This company also sells a lot of Vertex stuff, so if you are in the market for tooling, or indeed mills and lathes, it would pay to give them a call.

That's a timely comment, I currently have an order in at the North pole for a 10" Vertex rotary table. I forgot that Standaco did Vertex gear, might have to check it out and see if they're cheaper than H&F.

jatt
28th November 2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah when I first saw it I neally fell over. To make sure it wasnt a typo I actually rang them. The guy said whoever wins this is getting a steal. So yeah it only asked for $990, so that's what I bid.

He also mentioned the 3 ph unit but I wasnt too keen to spend 2k on it, even tho with an inverter it (on the fone at least) sounded reasonable.

Wouldnt mind betting that most folk that saw it would have dismissed it as something sus, hey at that price new from a legit dealer......

Will have to check out their Vertex stuff. The sales guy only mentioned R8 items and a lathe, so I didnt go out of my way when I went down to Melb on Thurs.

If u dont try and go too gung ho with your milling cuts then this unit will be fine. Ran a Chiwanse 25 mm drill thru 32 mm thick mild plate with coolant (after predrilling first of course) without protest the other day, so I'm happy enuf with mine.