PDA

View Full Version : waste management on rural

jasons673
17th November 2010, 01:01 PM
What do you do with your general house hold rubbish on rural? We have bin collection on our road, we need to finalise our occupation cert, before council will issue both wheelie bin's.
Then we pay an annual fee of almost $400.00, to have the weekly collection. Surely 4 or 5 trips to the tip would cost less than that each year?. If we separate the bottles, tins etc from the normal
Waste, compost, burn a little off. We could manage the waste our self's? Any one who dose this, that can offer suggestions?good or bad. Will the tip accept our tins and bottles for free? how do you store the waste?

Big Shed
17th November 2010, 01:07 PM
Don't know about your local council, but here in Bendigo they charge you the waste collection fees, one for normal household waste and one for recycled waste, regardless of whether you want it.

So you may not have an option.

Democracy in action:rolleyes:

jasons673
19th November 2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks big shed, I'm Hoping the council don't obligate us to the annual fee. At this stage we only pay land rates, not for additional services.
I'll get some bulk handling bags, and make up some steel cages, if I cant find them. Find an good spot to keep them, make it dog proof, vermin proof
And down wind from the house!

alecl
2nd January 2011, 11:14 PM
Have a hole dug by a dozer on a ridge in amongst some trees. make sure all four sides are fairly steep.
Burn it in the cooler months. Its probly illegal but when you live hrs from town like i do you have to improvise.
I know a fella from the catcment management authority and he does exectly the same thing.

Barry_White
3rd January 2011, 03:57 PM
Where I live is 16 Kilometres from my local tip. I had a blue with the Tip Attendant because they used to take any household waste as long as you had some recycle waste but they changed the rules and want at least 50% recycle waste with the house hold waste otherwise they want to charge to dump and that is not always possible.

I used to take everything to the tip but what I do now is all vegetable matter is composted, all meat scraps goes to the dog and all the recyclable goes into a wheely bin with a bin liner e.g that's bottles, plastics, cardboard (car batteries separated) and any thing with a recycle logo on it.

I built an incinerator out of a 44 gallon drum with two 5/8 steel rods through it about 300mm up from the bottom and a piece of expanded metal grid mesh sitting on the two rods and burn all the rest of the rubbish about once a week in the incinerator. It sits in a hollow raised on bricks surrounded by water.

I don't have a roadside pick up anyway but I have changed from going to the tip every three weeks to every three months a round trip of 32 kilms with just the recyclables and an occasional bit of household rubbish such as dog bones and stuff that wont burn. The only thing I miss out on is having a Magnum Ice Cream on the trip back.

I live on 5 acres which is part of my brother-in-laws 1400 acres and 16 kilometres from the closest village.

burraboy
3rd January 2011, 04:25 PM
I'd be looking for a friend or relo in town and use their bin on the occasions you need to. It's a pity the old chip heaters are a thing of the past, they used to get rid of a lot of paper waste.

jasons673
6th January 2011, 01:01 PM
B W I lived in Tamworth for a while, and visited the tip many times, but mainly to see the recycle shop!:U I used to manage our rubbish as a few have suggested, but then everything used to go in the hole that didn’t burn. Ive gone one step better now with separating the recyclables, I still cringe when I'm burning plastic ( packaging, plates, knifes and forks, Styrofoam, shopping bags ), being Christmas season, there's plenty to depose of from parties and present giving. I'm definitely thinking of what I'm bring home now, cause I'll have to dispose of it some how. After all our new social awareness to go green and our foot print on our planet campaigns Its funny that our solution it still " dig a hole and bury it"!
I went looking for a site to dig my hole yesterday. Still I could pay my $400 to council and they can bury it in their hole! :q

Barry_White
6th January 2011, 08:54 PM
B W I lived in Tamworth for a while, and visited the tip many times, but mainly to see the recycle shop!:U I used to manage our rubbish as a few have suggested, but then everything used to go in the hole that didn’t burn. Ive gone one step better now with separating the recyclables, I still cringe when I'm burning plastic ( packaging, plates, knifes and forks, Styrofoam, shopping bags ), being Christmas season, there's plenty to depose of from parties and present giving. I'm definitely thinking of what I'm bring home now, cause I'll have to dispose of it some how. After all our new social awareness to go green and our foot print on our planet campaigns Its funny that our solution it still " dig a hole and bury it"!
I went looking for a site to dig my hole yesterday. Still I could pay my $400 to council and they can bury it in their hole! :q

Hi Jason

Where I go to the tip it is really a transfer station and all the recyclables are put in to one trailer bin e.g. Cardboard, paper, tins, bottles and plastic with recycle logo on it.

I never burn styrofoam and only the minimum of plastics. What I mostly burn is food packaging and small cardboard boxes and personal documents. All paper things like paper towels and tissues all go in the compost bins. Silver foil and foil type packaging I keep separate and a few other odd thing I dump into the household rubbish bins at the transfer station because what I dump there is only about 5% of the recycle stuff so I have no tip fees to pay.

The waste manager from the council reckons they still make reasonable income from all the recyclable stuff.