PDA

View Full Version : Lathe teacher wanted - Perth area

ds2006
19th November 2010, 07:17 PM
I have been looking for some hands on teaching on a metal lathe but the TAFE web site (when it works) only lists apprentiship teaching courses and I have not found anything else listed.

So I was wondering if there is anyone out there who might be interested in providing me with some tutoring? Nothing too full on, just an hour or so on an evening or weekend whenever suits to pick up the basics.

There are a lot of good forums and videos around but nothing beats actual 'real life' learning. I am hoping there is a retired turner who is interested in passing on their knowledge and skills.

Sterob
19th November 2010, 07:34 PM
Good idea DS. I hope someone can help you out.
I'm a bit far away, but I'm sure you will find someone to help you.

Sterob

Dingo Dog
21st November 2010, 10:34 AM
Hello DS

Did you check with Midland TAFE for a course in Basic Machining. I did 12 months there back in 2003 four hours every Wednesday night. Check the papers around February 2011, TAFE advertise what courses they will be running on what campus around Perth. Midland TAFE had great teachers, I learnt a lot and am still learning today.

DD

ds2006
22nd November 2010, 12:32 AM
Thanks DD,

I did check out the TAFE web site but the search courses, browse courses and contact links all throw errors! Makes me wonder if their IT students are in control. I will give them a call, as all I could see on the Midland site was apprentiship courses.

Cheers,
DS

bollie7
23rd November 2010, 08:20 AM
DS
Instead of calling, try and make a visit and speak to one of the F&M teachers face to face. Would be better sooner than later as here in NSW there are only 2 teaching weeks left and I'm assuming it would be similar in WA.
By speaking to the teachers (instead of a clerk in course information) you will get far better information as to what you can do. Sometimes it might mean being enrolled in a course that you might not have even considered if you hadn't spoken to the teacher.

regards
bollie7