PDA

View Full Version : Record Coronet No 3 Lathe

Ham
19th November 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi Guys, thsi is my first attempt at forums so I hope I get it right.
I have a 20 yr old No. 3 Coronet which I've had since new but through me moving around a lot, has not had a lot of use, however, I'm having trouble with the bearing. It has slop in it, up and down not in out. I no longer have the manual and have e.mailed Record for help but have not heard so far.

If I tighten up the bearing as per my understanding until it won't turn and then back it off the slack goes out of it but then it makes an awful row. If I back it off further it runs sweetly but the slop comes back. I'm nervous at the thought of trying to strip it down and would appreciate any words of wisdom and if anyone knows of someone here in Perth WA who can help either look at it or service it, that'd be great. Thanks, Ham.

Ray153
19th November 2010, 08:53 PM
Ham, might be able to dig out my manual if you don't mind waiting until tomorrow. Will have a look round for it tomorrow.

Ray

texx
19th November 2010, 08:57 PM
i think they are a phos bronze bearing that have to be oiled .???

rowie
19th November 2010, 09:52 PM
Welcome Ham, as Texx stated, they have a phosphorus bronze bearing, which needs to be oiled and adjusted periodically to keep it running smoothly. I too have had a CL3/36 since new(1990), and yes I too have "misplaced" my manual. I would also like to be reminded of the correct sequence of adjusting the bearings as I have tried to adjust them many times over the years, yet now not only still end up with slack resulting in vibration, etc, but I am needing to fill up the oil reservoir every five min or less if I run it over 1850rpm. It just seems to leak straight out. Please help us Ray!

jimbur
19th November 2010, 10:04 PM
Is this the model?
Cheers,
Jim

Ham
19th November 2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks Guys, that was quick. Ray any help you can offer, or anyone else for that matter, is greatfully received. It's definintely a bronze bearing but I worry that I've let it dry out in the years it hasn't been used and damaged the bearing, even though I use oil frequently when turning.
Ham.

Ham
19th November 2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Jim, it appears to be alater model. Mine has the on/off switch on a seperate cable and no dust cap at the back of the spindle but I think the bearing and adjustment are the same, so thank you, that's great.
Ham.

rowie
20th November 2010, 01:54 AM
Thanks, Jim, it appears to be a later model. Mine has the on/off switch on a seperate cable and no dust cap at the back of the spindle but I think the bearing and adjustment are the same, so thank you, that's great.
Ham.
:whs:Thanx:2tsup:

hughie
20th November 2010, 05:26 PM
What you may well find that Record ran with the same bearing system for many years. So I would look at the manual and compare the pics etc and then have a go at adjustment.

If your bearings are using heaps of oil then maybe its [a] poor adjustment, or [b] they are stuffed.

With this sort of bearing minor adjustments are required, so what ever you do, do so slowly or with small increments, test as you go. Adjust then spin the shaft to test for ease of movement.

The type of oil is important, as too thin is as bad as too thick. But not as bad as no oil, I must admit :U

All else fails pull the bearing apart taking careful note on how it comes apart. [ drawings, take pics etc ] They are at the end of the day a very simple bearing, far from rocket science.

If you can change a tyre, then this bearing should not pose a major problem for you.

Ray153
21st November 2010, 10:15 PM
Unfortunately the manual was not in the folder with all the other manuals. I will keep looking though

Ham
22nd November 2010, 02:08 AM
Thanks Hughie and Ray. Thanks to Jim's manual I feel confidant that I now have adjusted the bearing as well as I can. There is still movement side to side, ie, if I have a chuck on the spindle I am able to get some movement, probably a mm, by pulling the chuck toward me. I'm not sure whether this is what causes the slightly out of round and the subsequent tearing requiring bucket loads of sanding or whether it's just my poor skills. I'll need to do a another turning course when I can I think.

Thanks everybody for your words of wisdom. H. :2tsup:

Ironwood
22nd November 2010, 08:16 AM
When I read this thread yesterday, it reminded me mine was due for adjustment. So down to the shed I went and adjusted as per the link that Jim put up there, thanks Jim.

Ham, yours sounds like there is something wrong, 1mm play is very excessive. With mine adjusted up, there is no movement at all (maybe minute if I put a dial gauge on it )
I would be pulling the shaft out and inspecting the bearings, are you sure the one on the outboard end isnt shot ?

jimbur
22nd November 2010, 11:12 AM
When I read this thread yesterday, it reminded me mine was due for adjustment. So down to the shed I went and adjusted as per the link that Jim put up there, thanks Jim.
Ham, yours sounds like there is something wrong, 1mm play is very excessive. With mine adjusted up, there is no movement at all (maybe minute if I put a dial gauge on it )
I would be pulling the shaft out and inspecting the bearings, are you sure the one on the outboard end isnt shot ?
You're welcome. I've had plenty of help myself on these forums.
I agree that the bearing on Ham's lathe sounds shot.
Cheers,
Jim

Ham
22nd November 2010, 02:09 PM
Mmm, ok, thanks Guys, now that's a daunting thought. If I pull it out and find it is stuffed, any idea how easy it is to replace it, do I order from Record in England? I have to wonder as I'm not sure of the cost, whether it would be cheaper to buy a newer lathe?? I'm probably jumping the gun, but now that I finally have the lathe up and running, the thought of it being down for a long period, well!.

H.

jimbur
22nd November 2010, 03:02 PM
Mmm, ok, thanks Guys, now that's a daunting thought. If I pull it out and find it is stuffed, any idea how easy it is to replace it, do I order from Record in England? I have to wonder as I'm not sure of the cost, whether it would be cheaper to buy a newer lathe?? I'm probably jumping the gun, but now that I finally have the lathe up and running, the thought of it being down for a long period, well!.

H.

Get on to the Record Power website and ask them the cost and time needed for delivery. They aren't bad at responding and the dollar is pretty strong at the moment..
Cheers,
Jim

Ironwood
22nd November 2010, 06:10 PM
The link that Jim put up has instructions how to remove the shaft.
I think you really need to pull it out to see what the problem is.

If its the outboard bearing causing the problem ( the one on the left when your standing at the lathe), you might be able to get a replacement from any bearing supply shop , as I think its just a sealed roller bearing, its possibly a common size.

The nature of the tapered bronze bearing should eliminate any slop on its end when adjusted properly. I cant think why you would have 1mm movement if that adjustment is correct.
Did you follow the intructions and adjust all the way up until you couldnt turn the shaft with your fingers, then back it off until its firm to turn ?

I think if you use the lathe too long with the adjustment too loose, you may wear the bearing cup into an oval shape, if this has happened, you will need to replace the complete bearing.
Hopefully you can get to the bottom of the problem.

Ham
25th November 2010, 11:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I thought you'd like to know what happened. I got onto Record in England. They reckon the bearing is definitely out of round and needs to be replaced. The cost of a new bearing kit is 56.16 pounds and delivery is 62 pounds, about $200.00AU all up. So it could be worse.

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom.

H.

jimbur
26th November 2010, 12:29 PM
If you going that route replace the other bearing too. Saves in the long run.
Cheers,
Jim

hughie
26th November 2010, 01:37 PM
One good bearing on the same shaft as a bad one, they both end up the same..bad

Ham
26th November 2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks Jim, I hadn't thought of that, I think the bearing "kit" contains both but I've sent an e.mail to check.

When you said "I you want to go that route" was that just a figure of speech or did you have an alternative in mind?

Thanks,
H.

Ham
26th November 2010, 10:03 PM
I recieived a reply from Record, you're right, they are good, the "Bearing kit" includes the bronze spindle bearing, the rear bearing and a new drive belt. So it all looks good. Just gotta talk my good lady wife into finding the $200.00.:wink:

H.

jimbur
27th November 2010, 07:07 AM
Thanks Jim, I hadn't thought of that, I think the bearing "kit" contains both but I've sent an e.mail to check.

When you said "I you want to go that route" was that just a figure of speech or did you have an alternative in mind?

Thanks,
H.
Sorry just a figure of speech. Yes they are good people to deal with. Good luck with the persuasion.
Cheers,
Jim

david D
29th November 2010, 01:33 PM
I recieived a reply from Record, you're right, they are good, the "Bearing kit" includes the bronze spindle bearing, the rear bearing and a new drive belt. So it all looks good. Just gotta talk my good lady wife into finding the $200.00.:wink:

Hi Ham - I went through same experience to get the bearing kit. I purchased the kit from UK - in the end I think I bought it from a hardware shop in London. I suggest that you check the postage from UK - from memory the quote from Record was as or near the price of the item - I ended up getting it from a store in London and my brother picked it up for me therefore no postage (maybe D&M Tools in Twickenham, Middlesex but can't recall) - regards david D