PDA

View Full Version : Magnifier Lamps - Anyone Using Them?

Mike_R
3rd November 2004, 11:55 PM
I am after feedback from any scrollers who are using magnifier lamps with their scroll saws. An earlier thread (July 2004) on the topic was too general.

I have a Delta variable speed scroll saw which is great. I have seen pictures of the lamps in catalogues from Carbatec ($139), MIK ($139) and Jaycar ($109). Apart from the stands, the lamps all look pretty similar.

It would be a great help to me to read comments from anyone who is using one of these types of lamps with their saw and what they think of them. This will be useful in deciding whether or not to buy one.

Thanks

scooter
4th November 2004, 10:34 AM
Gday Mike, I bought one of these mag. lamps from Bunnings for (from memory) about $40. This one had a normal light globe (dearer ones have fluoros), I put a Philips globe in it, a blue tinted one which puts out a fairly white light.

I tried it but took it back (kept the globe), I couldn't get my hands coordinated with the magnified image my eyes were seeing :o . This is possibly just a matter of persevering but I lost patience with it. The light was great though, as was having it on the articulated arm, easy to swing away or back into place.

Pete (fxst) I think uses one.

Which Delta saw do you have and how long have you had it?

Cheers.....Sean the unmagnified

fxst
4th November 2004, 06:46 PM
Sean the unmagnified :D is correct I do use one and find it a great choice beats trying to sit just right for the glasses......I have the round fluro version dear yes but not only is it good for light (very little shadow) its good to use once u get used to it now I wouldnt do without it
Pete

Jim Carroll
4th November 2004, 07:55 PM
We had a guy demonstrating scrollsaw work at our local wood show last weekend and he uses the magnifier lamp. He used to have a normal light but found the heat from the light was very intense as you have it close to you when you are working. He now has the magnifier with the round fluro and you can even touch the lamp after it has been on for some time. He reckons it is the bees knees as far as this work goes. He claims the light is a whiter light and there is less reflection of the pattern. He only uses the magnifier part when he is doing very intricate work as the light of the lamp is sufficient to work normally.

Iain
4th November 2004, 09:15 PM
Academy TV in Geelong (Charles St Newcombe I think) have a fluoro unit for about $80.
You may get a better deal Mr Carroll as they are a wholesaler.

brucelit
5th November 2004, 10:34 AM
I have two of the magnifiers and have used them quite sucessfully. They can be annoying at times. I recently bought a flip up magnifier and much prefer it. It follows every movement of your head and you don't have to worry about being in the right place with the magnifier lamps. YMMV

scooter
5th November 2004, 02:53 PM
Interesting idea Bruce, I wear +1 reading glasses (over the counter jobbies) for scrolling and other fine work but hadn't thought of the flip up type.

Anyone know where such would be bought in Melbourne, Vic?

Sean the interested :)

echnidna
5th November 2004, 06:00 PM
Dick Smith or Jaycar sell them.

Mike_R
5th November 2004, 11:16 PM
Thank you all for your comments. I have taken them on board although the jury is still out on whether I will purchase a magnifier lamp.

In reply to Scooter's question I have the Delta variable speed saw with the Quickset II Blade Chuck (Carbatec's catalogue DE-40-540. I bought it in January 2003.

brucelit
6th November 2004, 12:05 AM
Scooter
I wear reading glasses to read! I was concerned that the flip-ups might be a problem but found that with them I don't need to wear the glasses at all. They provide enough magnification to see very well all on their own.

scooter
6th November 2004, 05:48 PM
Sounds like it's worth a ping then Bruce, thanks mate.

MikeR, how is your saw going. I've just bought this model at the WW show, have rigged up vacuum dust collection and a halogen light, have you modified yours at all or had any probs?

Cheers..........Sean

Mike_R
6th November 2004, 10:25 PM
Scooter, I have had no problems whatever with my saw. I did replace the lock handle on the hold down rod with a wing nut headed bolt. I found this much easier to use than the "push in and turn" set up supplied.

I also removed the bellows blower and hose and connected an aquarium pump to one of the flexible air blowers I bought from Mike's Workshop in the USA.