PDA

View Full Version : M2 HSS Turning Chisel Batch Order

Pages : 1 [2]

Robomanic
27th June 2011, 07:26 PM
their are 57 members participating across all five orders. Totaling over 406 items.

That's a top effort :2tsup:

thumb trimmer
29th June 2011, 11:28 AM
helmut,

Either there is a typo or stuff up. I'm down for 3 of the munro type scrapers, when it should be 2 of each scraper type.
Can you please advise.

thumbsucker
29th June 2011, 11:56 AM
thumb trimmer there has been a typo. At this point all I can do is get you two munro type scrapers and drop one.

helmut,

Either there is a typo or stuff up. I'm down for 3 of the munro type scrapers, when it should be 2 of each scraper type.
Can you please advise.

Claw Hama - No space left on either sheet. So if we ever do this it will have to be next time.

Hi TS, not sure if you have any leftovers on your spread sheets but if a 30mm skew is in the mix I will take it off your hands. If not then next time round.

stuffy
29th June 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi T.S.,

If thumb trimmer wants my sorby scraper tips he can have them, and Claw Hama can have one of my 30mm skews too.

Thanks

Steve

thumb trimmer
29th June 2011, 06:30 PM
much appreciated steve.

if your ok with it Helmut, 2 of esch scraper tips please

thumbsucker
29th June 2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks to stuffy, thumb trimmer has two sorby scrapers and claw hammer has a 30 mm skew.

Hi T.S.,

If thumb trimmer wants my sorby scraper tips he can have them, and Claw Hama can have one of my 30mm skews too.

Thanks

Steve

much appreciated steve.

if your ok with it Helmut, 2 of esch scraper tips please

Claw Hama
29th June 2011, 10:00 PM
Yes thank you stuffy (pm sent) and TS also much appreciated:2tsup:.

rsser
30th June 2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks TS.

As PMd, I've transferred $72 for 3 scrapers + postage to the old account cos I'm going upcountry for a while and my banking arrangements are in flux.

thumbsucker
8th July 2011, 01:36 AM
Hello All

I have attached a pdf to the all of the threads related to the paring, firmer, turning chisel & plane blades for wooden plane blade batch orders.

The pdf contains corrections to what people have ordered. More importantly I have added a page at the bottom of pdf. Listing everyones member name, and what they owe for each of the batch orders. I have then totaled what is owing including postage in the green column. I have also included who has paid and what date.

This should make it easier to figure out what you need to deposit.

At this point only 14 people out of 60 have paid. If those remaining could do as soon as they can, we can get the order of the ground asap. If you cannot do so, please send me an email at:

thewoodworkingbatchorders at gmail dot com

Future Batch Orders

For those who have not read Ubeaut Neil has posted an announcement regarding future batch orders here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/group-buys-information-137571/).

This means that this current batch order is the last batch order we will undertake on this forum. I am considering some options. However it depends on how much people are interested in continuing these batch orders. I have a really nice idea that will expand the batch order while making the whole process simpler and quicker.

So in the mean time, I would like to shift communications away from PM to email. So can you forward me your email address to thewoodworkingbatchorders at gmail dot com it will be appreciated.

Cheers

Thumbsucker

Claw Hama
8th July 2011, 06:44 AM
My payment should be through TS, paid a couple of days back, if not yet very soon.

thumbsucker
19th September 2011, 12:36 PM
Hello All

This is a quick post to say that Ultimate Laser, who are doing the water jet cutting for the Paring, Firmer, Turning, and plane blades for wooden planes batch order. Has received the two sheets of M2 from Bohler.

Russel inform me that the waterjet cutting should be done sometime this week. Then RayG will pick up the items possible next week sometime, depending on his schedule. I will transfer $2310.40 to RayG and he will pay in cash on pick up.

As more information comes to hand I will PM you.

Cheers

Thumbsucker

thumbsucker
21st October 2011, 01:51 PM
Hello All

The last few weeks have been trying for myself on varying fronts. Having to deal with the debacle with the postage of the Stanley batch order. Which has resulted in frayed nerves for everyone involved. Thankfully at this point we look like we have a resolution. Then I have been busy with my real work, that is preparing for my Grad. Dip. graduation and exhibition, which is now only 54 days away. In short I have been rather stressed.

Now regarding the Paring, Firmer, Turning, & Plane Blade Batch order. About two weeks ago. We took possession of all the items from the waterjet cutter. Here is a list of problems RayG and I are facing.

Many of the items were cut undersize in width. Now the reason for this is complex but has to do with the way the kerf of the waterjet, narrows and slopes as it travels through the material, now I had made sure to draw all items 0.5 mm oversize yet this seems to have been not enough. Now the width is not critical for the plane blades and the turning chisels. However for the firmer and paring chisels we are aiming for exact widths.

Now RayG is crossing his fingers, and trying his best to work with what we have. It all depends on how much distortion we get from the heat treatment. Best case scenario we will just make it. Worst case scenario is that we machine every size down. So a 12 mm chisel becomes a 9 mm and 9 becomes a 6 mm etc. This means that we will need to re-cut all the large size chisels again. Luckily we have enough steel left over to do so. However this would be unwelcome. We would also end up with a bunch of 2 or 1.5 mm wide chisels, from the 3 mm chisels.

PEOPLE WHO MISSED OUT

A few people have PM me, seeking paring and firmer chisels. I spoke to RayG, now we have a good amount of 7 mm and 4.5 mm M2 sheet left. We can make more sets of anything to fill out those sheets. However Ray wants to finish the current batch order before we do so. So if you are interest in something, Pm me and I will put your name and want on a list.

FUNDS

The other problem we are facing is a cost overrun due to increased cost of the steel, and the problems with the waterjet cutters. I will not know by how much, I can only figure out how much we are short once the final bills come in.

At this point I have paid RayG $2000 for his work. Which is almost half of what we will end up owing him. We still need to pay for the Heat Treating which could be up to $2000. Then postage cost which will be about a $1000. Its going to be very tight.

I have not had time to check who has paid. Last time I checked everyone has paid something so as to secure their share. However we are still about $4000 plus short from members. I will check the bank figure out who is short and were and I will PM you.

We also have some plane blades still up for grabs from people who dropped out and we have a few 35 mm paring chisels and a few extra skews paring chisels, as the waterjet cutter for some reason cut extra.

This weekend I will go over the funds situation and count up the pennies. So expect an update shortly.

Photos

Now Ray has been surface grinding all the items. He is really working above and beyond the call of duty. I honestly feel that we should compensate him for this extra effort. So when the dust settles I will be asking for a donation for those willing to do so. Here are some photos of what has been going on.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185084&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185085&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185086&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185087&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185088&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185089&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185090&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=185091&stc=1&d=1319164796

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN0859.JPG

ETA

Ray should have the pre-grinding done in the next two weeks. The next step is for the items to go the heat treaters. Now the heat treating could take up to two months. It should take only a few weeks, however by the time the steel gets shipped to the Salt furnace then back to Melbourne for cryo. Then admin, and billing and shipping back to Ray it all adds up. If we are lucky we will get the steel back before the xmas holidays. However if we do not then it could be mid January before the steel comes back from the heat treaters. In short I would not expecting these items before March 2012.

Because I am very busy with work and studies, I do not haver much time, I will however try to get any news to you as soon as possible.

NeilS
21st October 2011, 04:06 PM
I assume that will also mean that a 6mm wide (4.5 mm thick) Skew will become 3mm wide?

RayG
21st October 2011, 09:25 PM
I assume that will also mean that a 6mm wide (4.5 mm thick) Skew will become 3mm wide?

Hi Neil,

No, the skews will be fine, the only ones that might be a bit close are the paring chisels. I'm still hopeful (somewhat confident) we will get there (with a bit of careful planning) but with only 0.2mm to play with... :rolleyes:

Regards
Ray

Christos
22nd October 2011, 02:59 AM
Thank you for the update.

Enfield Guy
22nd October 2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the update. And thanks for the hard yards that you guys have obviously travelled so far.

Cheers

pommyphil
14th November 2011, 04:13 PM
Hi Any news ? I've been away. I suppose because the skews aren't being surface ground they should be posted soon ?

Phil

mkypenturner
27th November 2011, 10:28 PM
hi guys
just wondering how this is going ??
i seen some of the pics of chisels getting ground so must be nearly ready
just with what i had ordered was only scraper tips just cut not ground just wondering when the orders might be ready ??

Horaldic
27th November 2011, 11:19 PM
Thumbsucker will probably chime in when he gets a spare moment, however, it's the frantic time of year for his course.

I do know that the treatment of the steel is done in batches with everything together, otherwise the costs would be astronomical and TS let folks know that things would probably not be completed prior to March 2012.

The next step is for the items to go the heat treaters. Now the heat treating could take up to two months. It should take only a few weeks, however by the time the steel gets shipped to the Salt furnace then back to Melbourne for cryo. Then admin, and billing and shipping back to Ray it all adds up. If we are lucky we will get the steel back before the xmas holidays. However if we do not then it could be mid January before the steel comes back from the heat treaters. In short I would not expecting these items before March 2012.

mkypenturner
27th November 2011, 11:51 PM
Thumbsucker will probably chime in when he gets a spare moment, however, it's the frantic time of year for his course.

I do know that the treatment of the steel is done in batches with everything together, otherwise the costs would be astronomical and TS let folks know that things would probably not be completed prior to March 2012.
thanks for that i must have missed that post about march 2012:doh:

rsser
30th November 2011, 06:55 PM
As someone who's paid for 3 turning scraper bits in June, and been out of town and often out of touch during the winter, I'm finding it a bit difficult to track the changes since then.

It seems the price has gone from $20 each to $25 each, acc. to TS's spreadsheets.

So I'm happy to make up the difference, and await TS's advice as to where to transfer the money. Apologies for missing the email that announced the change.

rsser
6th December 2011, 04:04 PM
Helmut,

After no reply to a recent email and the post above about payment having been made on June 28, I now need to hear confirmation from you that $72 was transferred to your account from mine for the 3 scrapers you've contracted with me to provide.

That payment went to the CUS account named Woodworking Batch Orders.

I accept that costs have risen and that scrapers are now $25 each, and still await your reply about making up the difference.

If I don't get a reply within 7 days I will submit a complaint to the consumer affairs authorities.

thumbsucker
6th December 2011, 07:02 PM
I did not get an email from you as far as I know, I have been busy with assessment and am still very busy. Ern I do not understand your hostility towards me. That requires you to threaten me. It is just for this reason that I will never run another batch order.

Now that Stanley order has almost been wrapped up, I will wrap up this order, and then I will wipe my hand clean of the batch orders and the forum.

EDIT - I found the email, you sent it an account a never check. Which I have now close, for that very reason.

rsser
7th December 2011, 07:23 AM
Helmut,

In post #109 you asked folk to use this address: [email protected]

and I sent an email to it on Nov. 28 after having observed the snail's pace progress reported here. The initial offer was over a year ago and my payment was made five months ago.

On June 10 you posted 'we are ready to go', 'in two weeks I will have time'. On Sept 21 you announced a Mar 2012 ETA.

On Nov 14 pommyphil and on Nov 27 mkypenturner asked for a progress update and got no replies.

At some point I got the impression that the scraper price had gone up to $25, emailed about this on Nov. 28 and asked again about it in a post on Nov. 30 In neither case did you reply.

It need not have come to this if there'd been replies from you or if when buyers signed up you had given them an ETA. (I for one would not have signed up with the expectation of having to wait 12 months).

I'm not hostile to you; I'm angry at how you've handled the process.

thumbsucker
7th December 2011, 11:24 AM
Hello Ern

You sent the email to an address I no longer use.
When there is news I post information. The last news is that RayG is still grinding the last items, and the heat treatment is close to starting. So nothing has changed.
Most of these batch orders take between a 12 to sometimes 24 months.
If you are not happy to wait then I am happy to give you your money back. Please forward me your bank details and I will repay you.

Cheers

Helmut

rsser
7th December 2011, 11:50 AM
Your post #109 about the best way to reach you wasn't corrected here, so how was I to know?

Your last post about progress was many months ago and since then two buyers asked for but did not get updates.

My concern about sending you any extra payment needed was expressed in a post, one PM and one email to the address you asked us to use. You didn't respond to any or correct my understanding (misunderstanding?) about the changed price until I escalated the issue yesterday.

My concern in those communications was not about the rate of progress but that my failure to meet any extra costs involved was holding things up.

Thanks for your refund offer. So I can make a decision, can you now say what the likely final cost of the scrapers will be if over the $20 previously posted?

And I reiterate my offer that given that 3 scraper bits will only cost $6 or $6.60 to post, the balance of the postage paid of $12 you are welcome to keep or pass on to Ray.

Sturdee
7th December 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your refund offer. So I can make a decision, can you now say what the likely final cost of the scrapers will be if over the $20 previously posted?

Just to help you Ern the Sorby scrapers are $ 19.95 at the Woodsmith.

Peter.

thumbsucker
8th December 2011, 04:09 AM
The scrapers are $20 each.

rsser
8th December 2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks.

Since the last posted ETA was March I'll stay in.

mkypenturner
17th March 2012, 09:45 PM
just wondering if anybody has heard any info about this order or ever a update would be handy

thumbsucker
17th March 2012, 10:52 PM
RayG has finished the preliminary grinding. Last week the items were delivered to Surface Technology for heat treatment. Only to be told that they no longer offer the salt furnace heat treating service. I am now making calls for another company to take over the heat treatment. I will have something early next week. Heat treatment is fast about three week turn around. Then its back to RayG for clean up and postage. I will push to get the turning tools first of the production run.

thumbsucker
21st March 2012, 10:04 AM
I spoke to Gary from Hills Heat Treatment this morning. They are happy to take over the job. They charge $16 instead of $12 that Surface Technology charges. Gary says it will take them about a week to heat treat all the items.

At this point we have a cost overrun on the steel and heat treatment. I will chase up a dozen blokes who have not paid yet. As we will be needing the money for the heat treatment asap.

This means that RayG will deliver the pieces to Hills Heat Treatment sometimes soon, and we can get the ball rolling.

Heat Treating Bayswater Hills Heat Treatment VIC - YouTube

Drillit
21st March 2012, 10:57 AM
Hello - I am not well known in the turning forums, so let me introduce myself. I have been on the forum for the last 4 years, and have been most active in Hand Tool Forum.

I am currently a student a the ANU Furniture / Wood Workshop for the last two years.

I have a strong interest in hand tools, in particularly hand planes. While I have been two turn feasts in Melbourne, I am not a turner. I know the basics, and enjoy the causal turn.

In my time I have organized batch orders for Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes, Replacement Plane Blades for Stanley Bench planes, Brass Batch order, Pairing Chisel Order.

If you want to join in the turning chisel batch orders PM me Thumbsucker and I can add you to the list. We have about half of both sheets left over. The sheets will be cutting divided between plane blades, turning chisels, and firmer chisels.

I look forward to bringing turners into the batch orders. If enough turners express enough interest in turning chisels to fill a whole sheet, it would be possible to purchase a higher grade of steel, like Powder Metallurgy High Speed Steel. We can also consider thicker turning chisels like 8 mm or 10 mm thick scrapers.
Hello Thumbsucker,
I am in for a 30mm parting tool, in addition to current (paid) order. How do you want me to proceed. Thanks again, Drillit - John M.

Christos
21st March 2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the updates Thumbsucker.

Pagie
21st March 2012, 02:40 PM
Paid what was owing this morning.

Thanks Pagie

thumbsucker
21st March 2012, 04:21 PM
Drillit - I have sent you a PM.

Enfield Guy
24th March 2012, 04:41 PM
Cool. Thanks for the update and all of your efforts.

rsser
24th March 2012, 04:52 PM
What will the price change be for the tear-drop scrapers? Same?

thumbsucker
24th March 2012, 04:54 PM
No Change.

What will the price change be for the tear-drop scrapers? Same?

thumbsucker
2nd April 2012, 08:40 PM
I spoke to Hills Heat Treatment, they are fished with the heat treatment, they have sent me the invoice. I am waiting for a few people to pay up and I can pay Hills Heat Treatment, and RayG can pick up the items.

The owner of the firmer chisels has stepped up and will pay for them. I am not willing to break up sets it makes life to complex and its not worth my time.

The blades are gone, I need to send pm's to those who picked them up.

I will send out a PM to the turners this week. RayG will start the clean up of the turning tools first, before the firmer, paring, or plane blades. So we can get you guys out of the way and dusted. I will start to collect postal addresses this week for the turners.

mkypenturner
2nd April 2012, 08:50 PM
I spoke to Hills Heat Treatment, they are fished with the heat treatment, they have sent me the invoice. I am waiting for a few people to pay up and I can pay Hills Heat Treatment, and RayG can pick up the items.

The owner of the firmer chisels has stepped up and will pay for them. I am not willing to break up sets it makes life to complex and its not worth my time.

The blades are gone, I need to send pm's to those who picked them up.

I will send out a PM to the turners this week. RayG will start the clean up of the turning tools first, before the firmer, paring, or plane blades. So we can get you guys out of the way and dusted. I will start to collect postal addresses this week for the turners.
cant wait to give them a go on some western qld hardwoods

Cliff Rogers
2nd April 2012, 10:37 PM
... I am waiting for a few people to pay up ....
Do those people know who they are?

thumbsucker
16th April 2012, 10:29 PM
The items are back from the heat treater. RayG has posted some photos here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/m2-hss-firmer-bench-chisel-batch-order-127233/index3.html#post1473891). Ray says that they is virtually no distortion after the heat treatment and the RC is right on the money.

I will send out all PM to all the turners to collect your postal address. RayG says he will have the turning tools done in two weeks.

Hi Paul,

I've had a quick preliminary check on the parts after heat treatment, and I'm very impressed with Hills Heat Treatment.

Here's a few pictures..

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN1948.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN1949.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN1950.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN1951.JPG

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/M2/DSCN1953.JPG

The surfaces are clean, and they have given all the parts a light oil coating.

I checked one of the thinnest paring chisels for warping/twisting and it looks good, I can't say for sure that all the paring chisels will have survived without warping, but so far it looks good.

A did a quick check on hardness, I measure it as 62 Rc, but my hardness tester generally reads a little on the low side, so I'd say 63-64 Rc is about right.

Hills Heat Treatment have done well.. :2tsup: ( I'll admit to being a bit nervous)

Regards
Ray

Ray153
17th April 2012, 08:07 PM

Hi TS,

While I appreciate that these respective projects have all taken time to wrestle to this point in the process, I and perhaps others am curious why you have settled on this particular order of finalizing the orders?

Not having a dig, just wanting an Idea of the reasoning, is it a case of there are more turning orders and fewer of the others or is this being done in the order the projects kicked off?

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thumbsucker
17th April 2012, 08:15 PM
We finish the simple stuff first. Turning tools are simple, are quick to finish and have no extras attached to them, like handles & sockets. Turning items are also the smallest number of items.

rsser
18th April 2012, 04:21 PM
Looking forward to the teardrop scraper bits.

Ray says they'll come in at about 4mm thick. The Munro screw will accommodate that; can't say for the Sorby as I hacked mine to take a metric thread screw. Talking about 1 mm increase here.

Ray advises that the surface finish will be as good as if not better than the last Stanley replacement blade job.

Given the flatness and hardness we can expect, these should be sh*t hot bits.

Thanks TS and Ray.

thumbsucker
24th April 2012, 01:57 PM
I have forwarded all your postal addresses to RayG.

Attached is a copy of what I have in my spreadsheet, can you check that you are down for the right items. If there is a mistake PM me and I will correct.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206198&stc=1&d=1335236246

mkypenturner
24th April 2012, 06:42 PM
pm sent

Pagie
24th April 2012, 08:11 PM
Mine is correct. My name then was Glenlara. Now Pagie.

thumbsucker
24th April 2012, 09:27 PM
RayG has back to me with the counts of what turning tools we have. The water jet cutter seems to have given us a few to many of some and not enough of one item.

Here is a photo of the turning tools:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206240&stc=1&d=1335262817

Here is a list what we have, what is extra and what is short:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206242&stc=1&d=1335264352

This means we have the following extra & up for grabs:

2 EXTRA @ 12 wide x 6.5 mm thick Skew @ $30 each
7 EXTRA @ 6 wide x 4.5 mm thick Skew @ $30 each
1 EXTRA @ 10 wide x 4.5 mm thick Skew @ $30 each
4 EXTRA @ 4.5 mm thick Munro Scraper @ $20 each

We need to find homes for these tools, so if you want to pick them up they are finished and ready for you. Just send me a PM.

All we can do at this point is swap one of the missing items for something we have extra or I can refund your cash. I will send a PM to those who are affected.

Acco
24th April 2012, 09:36 PM
I'll take one of the 6 wide x 4.5 mm thick Skew @ $30 please.

Let me know bank details and postage cost and I'll do a direct deposit straight away

thumbsucker
24th April 2012, 09:51 PM
Acco PM sent.

RayG
24th April 2012, 10:08 PM
Hi Helmut,

The only item we are short is the 30x4.5 parting tool, I think it's probably the one added by John (Drillit) just a few weeks ago? In any case, no problem, you don't need to swap stuff around.. I can make another, but there will be a delay.

Regards
Ray

thumbsucker
24th April 2012, 10:18 PM
RayG - That would be much appreciated.

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2012, 10:44 PM
PM sent for a 12 x 6.5 & a 10 x 4.5.

thumbsucker
24th April 2012, 10:56 PM
Cliff Rogers picked up 12 x 6.5 & a 10 x 4.5.
Acco 6 wide x 4.5 mm thick

This is what we have

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206247&stc=1&d=1335268500

Cliff Rogers
24th April 2012, 11:00 PM
Paid. :2tsup:

NeilS
25th April 2012, 11:35 AM
Put me down for 2 EXTRA @ 6 wide x 4.5 mm thick Skew @ $30 each.

PM sent

RayG
26th April 2012, 08:24 AM
The first batch of scraper inserts are being posted today.

This includes, rsser, thumb trimmer, mkypenturner.

You should receive a PM from me asking for confirmation of address and what parts are to be sent.

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/DSCN1990.JPG

I'm still a bit uncertain of the correct grinding for scraper inserts, the way I ended up doing it is that I've ground and polished the edges first, then surface ground top and bottom to get a clean cutting edge all around, so hopefully, all that should be required to maintain the edge is to lap the top face to get a good sharp edge. I'd be keen to get some feedback.

Final thickness is 3.95 mm

Regards
Ray

NeilS
26th April 2012, 11:04 AM
Ray - Looking good!

In reply to your question, there is no correct way to maintain a woodturning scraper edge. Some turners lap the top while others touch up the edge. Your grinding finish will be good for either method.

Most of us that sharpen the edge will take the ground face up to a mirror finish before we start to use the tip.

Thanks for your engineering/craftsmanship efforts.

pommyphil
26th April 2012, 03:03 PM
Hi I'd be happy to add a Monro Scraper blade to my order if one is still spare,

Let me know the price and where to send Dollars. Thanks guys.

rsser
27th April 2012, 12:50 PM
Scraper bits arrived today. Many thanks Ray and Helmut.

They look great. (Clever packaging too!).

Will give them a run this arvo.

rsser
27th April 2012, 04:22 PM
First run ... very nice. Fine shavings coming off a bit of Rock Maple.

On a par with the existing Munro that's had the top honed to #3000 and the bevel done on a #120 diamond wheel.

:2tsup:

RayG
27th April 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi Ern,

Thanks for the report, (I can now breathe a little easier :) ) it will be interesting to see how the M2 holds up as far as wear goes.

Another question...

I''ll be doing the skews over the weekend, and I can't see anywhere what is specified as to what angle to grind the edge, ( not the skew angle, but the top and bottom cutting edge angle) I'd assume 25 degrees on either side, which would make the point 50 degrees? Is that correct?

Alternately, I could just grind the skew angle square and leave it to individual owners to grind the cutting edge.. ( Which I think is what Helmut originally suggested if I remember correctly).

Regards
Ray

Cliff Rogers
27th April 2012, 06:45 PM
Anything from 25° to 55° depending on the turner & the timber.

Mike Darlow recommends a 25° angle for the bevel of a skew chisel (12.5° on each side) but that is a very sharp tool with an edge that can be easily knocked about.

I'd be happy with something around 35° to 45° leaning towards the sharper angle on the smaller skews.

Cliff Rogers
27th April 2012, 07:39 PM
I just checked, my miniture skews are 30°, my bedans are 35° & my medium skews are 40°. I can't find my big skew but I think it will also be about 40°. (it might be stuck under a door somewhere. :D)

RayG
27th April 2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks for that Cliff, your advice is very timely and greatly appreciated, I'll do the grinding as follows...

6mm +-15 == 30
12mm +-17.5 == 35
20mm +-20 == 40
30mm +-20 == 40

Regards
Ray

rsser
27th April 2012, 10:18 PM
No need to 'phew' Ray. This is top gear. Thanks again.

Can I suggest that you wait for more feedback from others who've ordered the skews?

(IMO a 40-45º included angle is a good starting point. In any case folk will be able to roll their own as we turners are used to grinding metal so don't sweat on this one).

Cliff Rogers
28th April 2012, 12:15 AM
That should be fine Ray, the little ones need the shallow angle to get into the details.
It the angle is too steep, there is bugger all bevel to rub & the shoulders get in the way.

Sawdust Maker
28th April 2012, 03:03 PM
If that 12mm skew is still free I'll take it
let me know the all up cost and I'll transfer the monies

thumbsucker
28th April 2012, 03:05 PM
I will send you a PM.

If that 12mm skew is still free I'll take it
let me know the all up cost and I'll transfer the monies

thumbsucker
28th April 2012, 03:16 PM
Here is an updated list of what has been picked up and what is left over. At this point we have THREE 4.5 mm thick Munro Scraper and FOUR 6 wide x 4.5 mm thick Skews.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=206570&stc=1&d=1335586505

Sawdust Maker
30th April 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks Helmut

monies transferred today

PS I hope it is acid etched with 'made by thumbsucker" on it

crow400
23rd May 2012, 06:03 PM
Just wondering when the skew might arrive.
Bruce crow400

Geoff1153
24th May 2012, 10:13 PM
Yes, can you please tell us approximately when you plan to post the tools.
Thanks,
Geoff1153 :)

crow400
25th May 2012, 04:37 PM
Reply to Skew enquiry would be nice.
Regards,
Bruce crow400

RayG
27th May 2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Geoff, Bruce,

Apologies for the delay, I've just been swamped with work in the last couple of weeks...

I hope I can get back to finishing the skews soon...

Regards
Ray

crow400
20th June 2012, 06:14 PM
This really has become quite laughable. I do hope the errant skew beats the grim reaper.
Bruce

pommyphil
20th June 2012, 06:21 PM
I can grind my own if it helps, I'd just like to see them before I go. Phil

Geoff1153
20th June 2012, 10:31 PM
I would really like to know when I might receive my order too.

thumbsucker
20th June 2012, 10:37 PM
Please accept my apology on behalf of RayG. He has been busy with another major project that he has just wrapped up, yesterday. This other projects is gargantuan in comparison to the batch order, with as far as I can assertion it has a critical commercial time critical component. RayG has promised me that he "will be able to get the grinding back under control.". ASAP. He should be delivering on his promises shortly. So please hold for just a little longer.

pommyphil
9th July 2012, 09:17 AM
The plane blade section of this********* seems to be delayed by a further few months

Does this apply to our skews to ? Phil

thumbsucker
9th July 2012, 05:16 PM
Regrettable RayG is now in Austria and he will not be back until the 7th of September. Before he left RayG said that the turning chisels were done except for the bevels.

Their is nothing that I can do until Ray returns.

pommyphil
9th July 2012, 07:00 PM
I thought the only grinding on the skews was the bevel ?

phil

thumbsucker
9th July 2012, 07:08 PM
Originally the turning tools were supposed to have NO surface grinding. Just check the early pages of this thread. This is why the cost was so low. RayG however opted to surface grind all faces. He wants to give everyone the best tools they could ever get, regardless of the time it took. However other commercial commitments have taken him away from us for two months.

Those who got their turning scrapers can vouch the tools are finely finished.

Ray is extremely remorseful for taking so long.

Enfield Guy
9th July 2012, 09:28 PM
Stuff happens. I think I will just chill and wait. The cost verses the quality, based on others previous experience with other batch orders, will be worth the wait I feel.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2012, 04:44 PM
Any further word?

RayG
14th November 2012, 06:39 PM
Hi Nick,

Good timing.. :) There's a thread in the hand tool section with updates http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/plane-blades-chisels-progress-report-160896/

Josh has been picking up the slack while I've been crook, he's been finishing the plane blades, I've still got a few minor things to do before the turning chisels are ready to post out,

In the next few days you should get a PM requesting 1) postal address confirmation and 2) details of the order being posted,

Regards
Ray

Sawdust Maker
14th November 2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks

BTW No pressure, I was just enquiring as I know how these 'steel' buys go, having been in one or two in the past.

thanks for all your work :2tsup:

mkypenturner
14th November 2012, 10:24 PM
still waiting for 2 turning scraper tips were meant to have been ready about june ??:?

RayG
17th November 2012, 12:21 PM
still waiting for 2 turning scraper tips were meant to have been ready about june ??:?

Sorry, I missed this post, We were short on the Sorby scrapers from the start, and I have to make these extras by hand. Hacksaw and file :) Apologies again for the delay.

Regards
Ray

thumbsucker
6th December 2012, 07:21 PM
Drillit and Enfield Guy have sent me a PM asking for an update on the turning chisels. I sent RayG and Josh a few PM's & emails asking for an update. At this point I have not heard anything from them regarding the turning tools. As far as I can tell they are both busy with the firmer chisels. They have updated this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/plane-blades-chisels-progress-report-160896/) regularly. All I can say is that they are working on things as fast they can. Niggling them, will only draw their annoyance.

Note: in the above linked thread there is a reference by Josh to grinding bevels on the skews. Josh is not referring to skew chisels but skew plane blades.

Regrettable - Helmut