PDA

View Full Version : M2 HSS Turning Chisel Batch Order

Pages : [1] 2

DJ’s Timber
21st November 2010, 10:01 AM
As part of the Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes order organised by Thumbsucker and DJ's Tmber in the Handtools-Unpowered, we have surplus space on our 800 x 6.5 x 2660 mm and 800 x 4.5 x 2660 mm M2 HSS sheet. These batch orders are common undertakings in Handtools-Unpowered (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/). We have to date, manufactured for members at cost price, Replacement Stanley Plane Blades (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/second-stanley-plane-blade-order-104700/), Fine Paring Chisels (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/paring-chisel-batch-order-100029/), and Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/third-plane-blades-wooden-hand-planes-batch-order-100632/).

We are therefore offering an opportunity for turners to join part of our batch order.

The turning chisels will be ground flat and parallel top and bottom, and will have the cutting bevel ground at 30. The turning chisels will be made from 6.5 mm or 4.5 mm M2 HSS, heat treated to Rc 62 - 64.

To fill our 800 x 2660 mm sheets we are offering as range of skew, and parting tools based on dimensions provided by and DJ's Timber follows:

Skews

12 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS
20 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS
30 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 6.5 mm M2 HSS

6 mm wide, 150 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
10 mm wide 175 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 30° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS

Parting Tools

12 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
20 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS
30 mm wide 250 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang parting tool with a 45° tip (Two Sides at 22.5°) made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS

Other Options

If you have any other suggestions for types of turning chisels, we welcome other suggestions.

Manufacturing

The steel will be supplied by Bohler in Melbourne, The chisels will be waterjet cut, and then heat treated in a Salt bath furnace by Surface Technology a.k.a. Sutton Tools. Milling and grinding will be undertaken by Rippon.

Price Breakdown

$14 M2 HSS Steel
$6 Waterjet Cutting
$35 Surface Grinding

Price Total

$50 per chisel and $11 postage to anywhere in Australia.

Payment Options

The preferred method of payment is via direct bank deposit. A pm will be sent out to members who decide to join in the batch order.

thumbsucker
21st November 2010, 11:20 AM
Hello - I am not well known in the turning forums, so let me introduce myself. I have been on the forum for the last 4 years, and have been most active in Hand Tool Forum.

I am currently a student a the ANU Furniture / Wood Workshop for the last two years.

I have a strong interest in hand tools, in particularly hand planes. While I have been two turn feasts in Melbourne, I am not a turner. I know the basics, and enjoy the causal turn.

In my time I have organized batch orders for Plane Blades for Wooden Hand Planes, Replacement Plane Blades for Stanley Bench planes, Brass Batch order, Pairing Chisel Order.

If you want to join in the turning chisel batch orders PM me Thumbsucker and I can add you to the list. We have about half of both sheets left over. The sheets will be cutting divided between plane blades, turning chisels, and firmer chisels.

I look forward to bringing turners into the batch orders. If enough turners express enough interest in turning chisels to fill a whole sheet, it would be possible to purchase a higher grade of steel, like Powder Metallurgy High Speed Steel. We can also consider thicker turning chisels like 8 mm or 10 mm thick scrapers.

rsser
21st November 2010, 11:25 AM
Some folk may also be interested in scrapers Helmut, out of the 6.5mm thick stuff. Either square end, rounded end or a left curve - but they could grind these, or better cut them, themselves.

Just an idea.

thumbsucker
21st November 2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Ern - I was told that 6.5 mm is to thin for scrapers, to much vibration & chatter. However I am open to what people are willing to suggest. We can make square tipped blanks that people can grind however they want them.

We could get a thicker sheet if there is demand.

pommyphil
21st November 2010, 11:46 AM
Would the skew chisels need to be surface ground ?

With a bevel on each side the grinding is just cosmetic, and expensive ?

A 25mm or 30mm M2 skew for $25 would be great !

rsser
21st November 2010, 11:50 AM
IME when you buy a scraper it'll be 1/4" thick.

Certainly with long overhangs thicker is better and a HD scraper will be 3/8".

If you wanted to get entrepreneurial and capitalise on the current interest in 'Skewarts' (see current issue of Aus WWorker) then DJ could be occupied in his shed for some time :rolleyes:

thumbsucker
21st November 2010, 11:57 AM
If you think that would work, sure, the chisel would be covered with black scale from the heat treating. You could use a steel brush to scrub it clean.

My observation is that turning chisels are much coarser surface grinding in comparison to fine bench chisels or plane blades, which tends to have a mirror finish. We could get a coarser surface grind and possible save on cost's.

Would the skew chisels need to be surface ground ? With a bevel on each side the grinding is just cosmetic, and expensive ? A 25mm or 30mm M2 skew for $25 would be great !

Ern we could get a 10 mm sheet and make heavy duty scrapers.

pommyphil
21st November 2010, 03:54 PM
We might be onto somthing here !

Maybe if they're "black and scaly" we'd only buy what we really need.

That polished steel, gleaming brass and rich red rosewood gets me every time :rolleyes:

Ozkaban
21st November 2010, 04:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks for organising this. What ahuge amount of work you guys are going to! I'd love a 30mm skew in 6.5mm steel. I am happy to save costs on the surface grinding (ie, don't bother!) if that is an option. I am also happy to shape it myself if this is of any benefit to you - the square blank is fine.

Let me know when to pay.

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
21st November 2010, 04:59 PM
That polished steel, gleaming brass and rich red rosewood gets me every time :rolleyes:

I can visualise it - nice! Tool hooers rule :wink:

Helmut, kind of you to think about another venture. By all means test the water but my guess is that the demand for 10mm thick scrapers will be limited.

thumbsucker
21st November 2010, 07:35 PM
pommyphil making the surface grinding optional is no problem at all. So I have made a column in my spreadsheet for just this option.

It is important to be aware that the surface grinding not only makes the tool pretty, its man function is to remove the slight bend the steel will exhibit after heat treating. It will be a small amount between 0.1 mm to 0.3 mm. However such a bend is not a problem for turners I suspect.

IF you opt for no surface grinding the chisel price drops to $20 per chisel regardless of width. So that is a $30 saving.:2tsup:

Ozkaban I have out you down for a 30 mm skew @ 6.5 mm, with NO surface grinding.

Ern, if you think that 6.5 mm scrapers will work then I can make it an option.

Ern I am sure we could get 8.5 mm M2 sheet. The only problem would be that we would need to fill the whole sheet. So it all depends on what people want.

I have thought and have been asked about other "ventures", marking knives and chips knives is one from 2 mm steel.

pommyphil
22nd November 2010, 11:18 AM
Great stuff Helmut, put me down for a 20mm and a 30mm skew unground,

I can live with a point two mil curve :wink:

Let me know re dollars etc. Thanks again for doing this :2tsup:

Phil

thumbsucker
22nd November 2010, 01:57 PM
Phil I have added you to the order.

Pagie
22nd November 2010, 08:12 PM
I would like a 30mm x 6.5mm skew and a 30mm x 4.5mm parting chisel. no surface grind will be fine.

thumb trimmer
22nd November 2010, 08:24 PM
Just a question ... (and excuse my naivity)

Has there been thought made to getting some M2 scraper tips made?
eg. similar to the tear drop shaped tips from the multi-tip tool?

... and if not, would this be a feasible enterprise (approx 3 or 4mm thick) ???

???

TTIT
22nd November 2010, 11:00 PM
Just a question ... (and excuse my naivity)

Has there been thought made to getting some M2 scraper tips made?
eg. similar to the tear drop shaped tips from the multi-tip tool?

... and if not, would this be a feasible enterprise (approx 3 or 4mm thick) ???

???Now that got my attention! :oo: I'd be in for a couple of those if it happened - good way to use up the leftovers of the sheet :;

Sawdust Maker
23rd November 2010, 11:15 AM
Just for comparison sizes

Scraper sizes:
My Sorby scrapers are 5.95 mm and 6.29 mm thick
My P&N is 8mm
Northwood cheapies approx 6.5mm

For skews:
Thompson 1 1/4" is 8mm thick
P&N 24mm is 8mm thick
P&N 12mm is 6mm thick

thumbsucker
23rd November 2010, 11:27 AM
Regarding Scrapers - We could make chisel blanks with square ends, then people can grind what ever shape and purpsose they like. What do people think? Say 12, 20, and 30 mm wide out of the 6.5 mm sheet.

Regarding the scraper tips, it would not be a problem. If you could get me clear photo (top down plan view) of the exact shape / radius of the tear drop and any angles on them, and all dimensions of any other types of scrapers, they could be made from the 4.5 mm sheet.

The RUFF cost would about $10 +/- ($3 steel, $5 waterjet, $1.5 heat treat), NO grinding. Grinding would add another $25 to the cost.

rsser
23rd November 2010, 12:15 PM
I can give you a pic against graph paper of the Sorby tear-drop and the Munro version.

IIRC they both come with a square edge.

Grinding that leaves distinct scratches that need polishing out would not be an advantage in my view. But if the cut steel is not flat the scrapers are best lapped and polished anyway.

rsser
23rd November 2010, 01:08 PM
Here ya go; on 5mm grid.

Left one is the Sorby, 3mm thick. The right is the Munro, 2.7mm thick.

Haven't bothered to pic a Woodcut; not a fan.

This Sorby has a bevelled edge but I can't recall whether that was from the factory or I did it.

These are finishing tools in my book and benefit from a refined edge. Lapping the Munro took forever and as you can see I ran out of puff.

Sorby recommends sharpening by running a diamond lap over the top face. So you are not cutting with a burr.

I have a slight pref for the Sorby shape; a bit more versatile than the Munro.

HTH.

thumbsucker
23rd November 2010, 04:18 PM
Here is the draft drawings of the scrapers.

Ern can you confirm the dimensions.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153875&stc=1&d=1290489502

rsser
23rd November 2010, 05:11 PM
Nice CAD work Helmut.

Corrections added.

If you go down this route put me down for 2 of each, unground.

thumbsucker
23rd November 2010, 06:31 PM
I have updated the CAD

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153877&stc=1&d=1290497477

thumb trimmer
23rd November 2010, 09:29 PM
Further to my previous post regarding the scraper tips, I'm very interested ...
but ...

... ... ...

And is there a final price (per 'tip') yet?

Thanks in advance

thumbsucker
24th November 2010, 12:33 PM
thumb trimmer - The RUFF cost would about $10 +/- ($3.5 steel, $3.5 waterjet, $2 heat treat), NO grinding.

Grinding would add another $25 to the cost.

Once we have filled both sheets, a PM will be sent regarding payment option.

thumb trimmer
24th November 2010, 04:57 PM
thumbsucker,

Please put me down for two of each (of the scraper 'tips'), unground.

Thanks

thumbsucker
25th November 2010, 11:46 AM
thumb trimmer I have put you down for the scraper tips.

mkypenturner
25th November 2010, 10:13 PM
put me down for 2 each of the scraper tips unground as well please
:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
25th November 2010, 11:27 PM
Yup, I'll be in it for a couple of the scraper tips & I'll put my hand up for a couple of small skews as well.

A 12 x 6.5 & a 6 x 4.5 please.

NeilS
26th November 2010, 01:15 PM
TS, please put me down for four scraper tips, two of each profile.

Thanks

thumbsucker
26th November 2010, 01:56 PM
Cliff Rogers - NeilS - mkypenturner I have added you to the order.

Sturdee
26th November 2010, 03:46 PM
I'll have 3 of the Sorby style scraper tips - unground- please.

Peter.

stuffy
26th November 2010, 06:18 PM
Hi TS,

Can I please get 2 x Sorby shape tips and if possible 2 x 30mm skew shaped blanks with no bevels or surface grinding. I'd like to make left and right skewed scrapers.

Thanks

Steve.

NeilS
26th November 2010, 11:10 PM
I'm thinking of getting some dedicated dovetail scrapers made up for my different sized chuck jaws, for use on both expansion and contraction recesses.

Will probably add a double bevel and use as a negative rake scraper.

I'm currently using small skews for the job, but they are a bit wide for the smaller jaws.

May even add a side bevel to give a cleaner cut on the walls of the dovetail. This might also provide a depth gauge for the recess.

Will do some measuring up.

They wouldn't use up much of the metal sheet, but if enough others wanted something similar it might help a bit.

Geoff1153
27th November 2010, 12:14 AM
Can I please get one 20 mm skew, one 30 mm skew and one 30 mm parting tool. No surface grinding.
Thanks very much :U

thumbsucker
27th November 2010, 12:42 AM
Sturdee - stuffy - Geoff1153 I have added you to the list.

Give me some drawings and we will go from there.

Geoff1153
27th November 2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks Thumbsucker, I would be very happy if you could use the drawings from your Nov 21 post, Turning Chisels v3.pdf. I dont think I could draw better than those, they look ideal to me, but I'm no expert.

NeilS
28th November 2010, 04:32 PM
I'm thinking of getting some dedicated dovetail scrapers made up for my different sized chuck jaws, for use on both expansion and contraction recesses.

Will probably add a double bevel and use as a negative rake scraper.

Measured up my chick jaws, most have an included angle of 10°

My jaw widths are:

VM 210mm - 10mm
VM 150mm - 10mm
VM 120mm - 12mm
VM 72mm - 9mm
VM 50MM - 7mm
VM 36mm - 6mm

Nova 130mm - 10mm
Nova 100mm - 10mm
Nova 50mm - 6mm

I'm inclined to go with one 6mm and one 10mm skew edge to cover those jaw sizes.

With such a low angle on the jaw (10°) the skew edge lengths are going to be very similar to the width of the bar.

It seems ideal that 10mm and 6mm skews are on the list of options and already drawn up. With just a 10° instead of 30° skew, that would meet my need for some dedicated jaw dovetail scrapers.

So, could I please have:

1 x 6 mm wide, 150 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 10° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS, unground.
1 x 10 mm wide 150 mm long overall with a 50 mm tang Skew with a 10° skew made from 4.5 mm M2 HSS, unground.

Thanks

thumbsucker
28th November 2010, 11:59 PM
Hi Neil

Asking to make one offs is difficult and it complicates matters.

Could you not use the standard 4.5 mm thick skews at 6 and 10 mm wide, and when you grind the bevel adjust the angle to 10º?

I will consider such skews if other express interest in them.

NeilS
29th November 2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Neil

Asking to make one offs is difficult and it complicates matters.

Could you not use the standard 4.5 mm thick skews at 6 and 10 mm wide, and when you grind the bevel adjust the angle to 10º?

I will consider such skews if other express interest in them.

Fair enough, TS.

Grinding a 30º bevel back to 10º would be quick and easy on such small skews.

So make that 1x6mm and 1x10mm standard 30º skew for me, unless there is sufficient other interest in the 10º.

Thanks Helmut

rsser
29th November 2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Helmut,

Can I change my order to

1 off Sorby shape
2 off Munro shape

For the benefit of other orderers, a pic is attached of the orig mounts of these teardrop scrapers.

The Sorby is the RS200KT (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/robert-sorby-rs200kt-multi-tip-hollowing-tool-scraper). Also comes with two toothpick scrapers. As a half round rod it's a neat tool allowing shear scraping with the round down and toothpick work with the flat down.

The tear-drop steel in the OEM version is not that brilliant IME.

The Munro fits to an articulated head allowing a wide range of edge presentations. The head is triangular in X section, with the mounting faces at 90* to each other. Carrolls (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/rolly-munro-shear-scraper-kit) sell this head.

So before folk jump to get the kits alone, be aware that the scraper edges wear rapidly and you will still want several in your kit so you can finish the job without heading repeatedly to the grinder.

Elsewhere I've posted about a simple jig to mount the tips on a platform in front of a dry grinder. Let me know if you want the link.

Hope this helps.

NeilS
29th November 2010, 02:51 PM
The Munro fits to an articulated head allowing a wide range of edge presentations. The head is triangular in X section, with the mounting faces at 90* to each other. Carrolls (http://www.cws.au.com/shop/item/rolly-munro-shear-scraper-kit) sell this head.

And here is a promo image of it that gives another view with the the tip installed.

Its on my list to get at some stage.

thumbsucker
29th November 2010, 03:16 PM
NeilS and RSSER I have updated your orders.

Enfield Guy
29th November 2010, 03:29 PM
First of all, thanks for organising this.

Could you put me down for 1 x 6mm, 1 x 12mm, 1x 20mm, 1x 30mm. All unground thanks.

Cheers
Bevan

thumbsucker
29th November 2010, 03:45 PM
Enfield Guy is that skews or parting tools?

crow400
29th November 2010, 06:32 PM
Please puy me down for a 30mm skew unground. Thanks for your time and work in doing this.
Bruce

rsser
30th November 2010, 06:37 AM
Here's (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/sharpening-tips-1-small-tools-bits-83834/) the tips for grinding tear drop scrapers.

Enfield Guy
30th November 2010, 08:57 PM
Enfield Guy is that skews or parting tools?

That would be skews thanks.

Cheers

rsser
2nd December 2010, 04:31 PM
Can I make a suggestion?

Re the centre hole, maybe go 6mm for all.

This would simplify manufacture and suit anyone who had a late model Tormek gouge jig with the scraper tip shaft (which has a 4.8 mm OD screw).

I can't see that this would disadvantage the few of us with Munro scraper heads.

thumbsucker
3rd December 2010, 05:46 PM
Enfield Guy & crow400 I have added you to the order.

thumbsucker
10th December 2010, 01:39 PM
I am closing this batch order for the moment.

With the pairing chisel order taking up half a sheet, and the 4.5 mm thick plane blades and the turning scraper taking up the rest. The same is true for the 6.5 mm sheet which has now been filled by firmer chisels, the turning chisels and the plane blades we are pretty much full up.

We may have some spare at the time of cutting, but we will not know this exactly until I give our numbers to the waterjet cutter. You may at that point be able to pick up spares.

mkypenturner
4th January 2011, 09:06 PM
am just wondering how the how all the cutting and grinding going with the order ?????

DJ’s Timber
4th January 2011, 10:46 PM
am just wondering how the how all the cutting and grinding going with the order ?????

Helmut is away on holidays at the moment and with Xmas/New Year most companies close down for that period.

Wouldn't expect anything to start happening for at least a few more weeks.

mkypenturner
5th January 2011, 05:17 PM
understandable :2tsup: just that it had gone quiet before xmas

thumbsucker
8th January 2011, 10:28 AM
With University breaking until the 18th of February 2011, I went to visit my mother over xmas and now I am in Tasmania, working with three local decorative blacksmiths. I wanted to experience working metal in a traditional way. All the work is done by hand. They do however have a small gas forge, which is a blast furnace with open doors. Its no wonder that by the time 9 am rolls around you feel a a cold beer. It is dirty work, however I am learning allot about forging, drawing, and drifting steel. I am collecting photos and will post a huge thread once I get back.

The above combined with the fact that most companies shut between the 15th of December to the 15 January. Means nothing has been happening. As soon as the Stanley plane blade order is wrapped up around the end of February early March we will start the paring & firmer chisels, wooden plane blades & turning chisel order.

I hope everyone had a good xmas and lets all have a great 2011.

thumbsucker
29th January 2011, 09:25 PM
I am back in Canberra so I am getting the ball rolling.

I have sent you all a PM to confirm your order quantaties before I send the number to the waterjet cutter for nesting. Can you get back to me asap.

Once the waterjet cutter confirms the amount of space on the sheet, then I can calculate the cost.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f8/160015d1296296393-m2-hss-turning-chisel-batch-order-picture-1.jpg

thumb trimmer
29th January 2011, 10:30 PM
thumbsucker,

I didn't get the PM, but the spread sheet has the correct quantities and types for me.

Thanks

Cliff Rogers
29th January 2011, 11:37 PM

mkypenturner
29th January 2011, 11:48 PM
pm sent

crow400
30th January 2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you. My listing is correct.
Bruce

Ozkaban
31st January 2011, 07:53 AM
Hi,

I misread the chart (I'm "Wife Certified Blind"). Ignore my PM - my order is correct.

Thanks for the effort!

Cheers,
Dave

Pagie
31st January 2011, 10:07 AM
If there is any space or scraps I would like a draw knife of any thickness. I can bend the handles.
peter

thumbsucker
28th March 2011, 11:12 AM
I need those participating in this batch order to make a choice. Simple saying "What ever the group decides is not, helpful" and you could end up with something you are not happy with.

OK - I have been talking to Bohler our steel supplier for the last month trying to source M2. Bohler is unable to supply 6.x mm thick M2, as they do not have any in stock. The 4.x mm is not a problem.

Bohler in Austria refuses to sell single sheets to Bohler Australia, they want a minimum order of 10 tons per specific sheet size. Our options are:

OPTION 1

We buy a 7 mm sheet this means that some of the chisels will be 7 mm thick then 6.5 mm thick.

OPTION 2

We buy a 5.5 mm sheet and end up with 5.4 mm thick chisels.

I am aware that turners would prefer the thicker chisels to avoid chatter. However the turners need to be aware that the chisels is coming from the same sheet used for the plane blades and firmer chisels and those members may opt to use the 5.5 mm M2.

Ozkaban
28th March 2011, 11:36 AM
I am aware that turners would prefer the thicker chisels to avoid chatter. However the turners need to be aware that the chisels is coming from the same sheet used for the plane blades and firmer chisels and those members may opt to use the 5.5 mm M2.

Yup, as a turner I would choose option 1 if possible., but I will abide by the group decision.

Thanks for your efforts thumbsucker!

Cheers,
Dave

stuffy
28th March 2011, 11:58 AM
Yup, as a turner I would choose option 1 if possible., but I will abide by the group decision.

Thanks for your efforts thumbsucker!

Cheers,
Dave

:whs:

Thanks
Steve

pommyphil
28th March 2011, 01:51 PM
Me three, Thanks Phil

NeilS
28th March 2011, 01:57 PM
My only 6.5mm tool on the spreadsheet was 1 x 10mm skew. Option 2 will do for that one.

Drillit
28th March 2011, 02:46 PM
HI thumbsucker,
Put me down for (1) x 12 mm skew - thanks, Drillit.

Pagie
28th March 2011, 02:49 PM
option 1 thankyou.

crow400
28th March 2011, 03:31 PM
As my order is for a 30ml skew, I would prefer option 1.
Thank you
Bruce

letzzzgo
28th March 2011, 03:46 PM
I prefer option 2

Cheers, John

mkypenturner
28th March 2011, 05:47 PM
option 2 for me please as only needed scraper tips ( x 4 sorby type no munro )

if going option 1 that will be to thick for the tips so i will have to pull out :(

thumbsucker
28th March 2011, 06:02 PM
HI thumbsucker,
Put me down for (1) x 12 mm skew - thanks, Drillit.

I am no longer taking orders, but if we have space on the sheet I could add you in.

if going option 1 that will be to thick for the tips so i will have to pull out :(

The scraping tips are coming from the 4.5 mm sheet, so they are not affected by the choice in question.

The blokes in the hand tool forum are leaning toward the 5.5 mm sheet so if you want the 7 mm sheet put into your vote.

Cliff Rogers
28th March 2011, 06:36 PM
7mm for me but I won't be too cut up if it is 5.5mm.

Sturdee
28th March 2011, 08:08 PM
The scraping tips are coming from the 4.5 mm sheet, so they are not affected by the choice in question.

Mine is for scraper tips, so no problem.

Peter.

mkypenturner
28th March 2011, 08:28 PM

PM sent

Geoff1153
29th March 2011, 12:23 PM
Option 1 gets my vote.

Thanks,
Geoff1153

RETIRED
29th March 2011, 03:19 PM
Option 1 for me also.

Enfield Guy
29th March 2011, 09:05 PM
Option one thank you.

thumbsucker
8th April 2011, 01:43 AM
Regarding the 7 mm sheet versus the 6.5 mm sheet, the blokes interested in the firmer chisels, and turning chisels unanimously would prefer the 7 mm thick sheet. The blokes interested in the plane blades would be happy with 5.5 mm.

Therefore I think we will go for the 7 mm sheet and we will water grind down the 7 mm to 5.5 mm for blokes for the wanting plane blades. For everyone else we will make the applicable tools 7 mm thick.

I got a quote from Russell the waterjet cutter and I have a quote for the steel sheets.

I have therefore been able to work out the price for the turning chisels and scrapers the tentatively firm price at $30 per turning chisels and $20 per scraper.

Cliff Rogers
8th April 2011, 09:22 AM

thumbsucker
8th April 2011, 09:39 AM
We have only used 0.86 on the 7 mm sheet, so we have a spare left, for members. PM me if you want pick up more turning chisels.

We are however 0.3 sheets over in the 4.5 mm thick sheets, so we need to either drop some things. Or we need to fill 0.7 more of a sheet. It will be much simpler to trim back the order remembering that the batch orders were opened up to turners to fill the sheet.

Would people be willing to drop the scraper tips?

Cliff Rogers
8th April 2011, 10:00 AM
You can add a 20mm skew to the 7mm order for me.

PM sent

Pagie
8th April 2011, 10:18 AM
I would like a strip about 25mm x 250mm x 7mm to make a draw knife out of. If it can be fitted on the sheet.
Peter

Enfield Guy
8th April 2011, 02:57 PM
I would be happy to drop the 6mm skew if that helps.

letzzzgo
8th April 2011, 05:09 PM
We are however 0.3 sheets over in the 4.5 mm thick sheets, so we need to either drop some things. Or we need to fill 0.7 more of a sheet. It will be much simpler to trim back the order remembering that the batch orders were opened up to turners to fill the sheet.

Thumbsucker, I was probably the last to put my hand up for scrapers, so you can delete me from the list.
Thanks for your effort!

Cheers , John

stuffy
8th April 2011, 06:27 PM
I'm happy to drop the scraper tips if it helps.

Thanks,

Steve
:)

Sturdee
8th April 2011, 07:18 PM
. It will be much simpler to trim back the order remembering that the batch orders were opened up to turners to fill the sheet.

You can cancel my order for the scraper tips.

Peter.

NeilS
8th April 2011, 09:01 PM
I'm reluctant to let my scraper tips go. How about we move the scraper tips from the 4.5mm sheet to the the 7mm sheet? That would help solve two problems with one move.

Thicker would mean less vibration with the scraper tip and all we would need is a longer screw.

rsser
8th April 2011, 09:26 PM
+1 to Neil's suggestion.

thumbsucker
14th April 2011, 09:34 PM
Just a note to say that most blokes here wanted the 7 mm sheet so did the blokes who wanted the firmer chisels. The blokes who are after plane blades were split 50/50. So I have decided that we will go with the 7 mm thick sheet.

Also three blokes from the fine pairing chisel order have reduced their orders so we should now be able to fit unto the 4.5 mm sheet. So we will not have to cull any of the turning scrapers.

Expect movement on this order within two weeks. As I am finalizing the last details at the moment. I will send out a PM with bank details soon.

Sturdee
20th April 2011, 11:46 PM
You can cancel my order for the scraper tips.

Peter.

and

. So we will not have to cull any of the turning scrapers.

Please note that my withdrawal of this offer is definite as I've already obtained some since my cancellation.

Peter.

thumbsucker
21st April 2011, 07:40 PM
Sturdee - I have removed the scrapers from your order.

letzzzgo
21st April 2011, 11:18 PM
Thumbsucker, can you also confirm my scraper blades have also been deleted
from the order. (refer my post #86). I am in a similar position to Sturdy.

Cheers, John

thumbsucker
13th May 2011, 09:28 PM
letzzzgo just confirming that you have been removed.

Enfield Guy
9th June 2011, 11:37 PM
May I ask? Where are we up to with this?
Cheers

thumbsucker
10th June 2011, 10:35 AM
We are ready to go. I am however very busy with Uni. exams and do not have the time to make the last confirming calls and emails to everyone, and manufacturers. In two weeks I will have time.

Claw Hama
10th June 2011, 11:03 AM
Hi TS, not sure if you have any leftovers on your spread sheets but if a 30mm skew is in the mix I will take it off your hands. If not then next time round.

Enfield Guy
11th June 2011, 04:33 PM
All good. No pressure. Just curious.

Hope you do well with your exams.

Cheers

thumbsucker
27th June 2011, 06:46 PM
Its times to start collecting funds to get the ball rolling on the following orders:

Paring Chisels
Firmer Chisels
Turning Chisels & Scrapers
Plane Blades for Wooden Handplanes

Now their are 57 members participating across all five orders. Totaling over 406 items. To see a complete list of what you have ordered please see the attached spreadsheet in PDF format I will by the end of this day send out a PM, to everyone of the 57 participants informing them, of what they have ordered, and how much they owe. and into what account they need to transfer the funds into and by what date.

Here is the pdf.