PDA

View Full Version : Verandah posts?

gemi_babe
4th November 2004, 12:32 AM
to pick your brains again...

I have an old verandah that is missing the deck! It's not there. its gone!

but the verandah posts that are holding up the verandah roof are still there.
They go straight down into the ground.
I have been told two different things to do with them.

first one: Cut off and stirrup them and set in concrete.

Second: make the posts sit on top of the deck when that goes on.

ARRRGH! Both sound logical to do, but which one is correct or are both correct and which is the better way to go?

journeyman Mick
4th November 2004, 12:49 AM
Gemi,
the first option sounds better to me as you can use the posts to support the bearers for your deck as well. Otherwise you'll have to prop the roof, cut your posts, set new posts in, bolt on bearers, fit joists, fit decking, refit posts. Are the posts decaying at ground level? Depending on the durability grade of the timber used, soil type, rainfall and termite incidence they may be good for 20 years+ in the ground. It generally isn't considered best practice nowadays but if they're in good nick and are likely to last for quite some time you could leave them as is and replace them when neccesary, hopefully 10+ years later.

Mick

jaws
4th November 2004, 07:34 AM
Both ideas are fine, but it all depends on the post condition, if they are in very good nick, Micks comments are the way to go. If they are a bit suss they have to go on top of the deck for later replacement, its an easy choice really.:)
Good luck
John

IanA
4th November 2004, 09:18 PM
Gemi,

I'm with Mick on this one.

To support the posts on top of the deck you will first need to set up a stump and bearer subframe then fix the decking in place. This will need to include a termite barrier. Setting the existing posts on stirrups will automatically achieve a termite barrier.

If the posts are set on top of the deck you will create a potential rot problem at the bottom of the posts. Any water will be held in the joint between deck and post, and drying out will be slow. Cutting out such rot later on is not easy, and the result can look pretty poxy.

If the posts are set on stirrups it is still possible to do a total replacement of the posts at some later date, even though the bearers may be bolted to the posts.

IanA
4th November 2004, 09:29 PM
Gemi,

Have a look at the site for the Timber Promotion Council. They have a publication covering timber decks. Good value at $15.

www.tpcvic.org.au

gemi_babe
9th November 2004, 12:21 AM
Ok I sat down with the chippy and he drew pic's of the building process and also showed me the twists and shrinkage in the old post.

The old posts are going to be the new stumps for the deck, and I'm buying new dried and machined posts so they will be straight.

i have expressed to him my interest in doing this myself and he will help me do it. So I'm pretty pleased at that. This guy loves old houses and was taught the old school way. (even spoke briefly about how he was taught about sharpening a chisel on the skin of your hand?)

Anyway I feel I can trust him.

I'm now working further south so the deck is going to have to wait, but I can't wait to get started.

Thanks for the advice Mick and others. I have checked out decks in my area and the ones that look the best are the ones with the posts sitting ontop of the deck. Alot more work involved but since we have to remove the old posts, I want it done the right way, the first time :)

Thanks again,
Kylie