PDA

View Full Version : ECLIPSE No55

burraboy
23rd November 2010, 07:22 AM
Here's another one from my grandfathers kit, an "Eclipse", "No 55 Made in Sheffield England". "Use Only Eclipse Hack Saw Blades".

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk103/synwhistles/oldsaw.jpg

I suppose it must have had a specific use apart from being a Hack Saw, but can't imagine what it was.

woodie one
23rd November 2010, 11:30 PM
The idea was that a hacksaw blade could be used as the toothy part of this general purpose handsaw (like a tenon saw - for deep cuts). The hacksaw blade was mounted between the two pins on the springy backing plate by bending the plate, putting the hacksaw blade over the projecting pins and then releasing the curved backing. With this arrangement it is crucial that the distance between the pins and between the holes in the blade is just right so that the backing plate returns to straight, and simultaneously puts enough tension on the hacksaw blade to keep it straight and aligned with the backing. Hence the instruction "use only Eclipse blades".

The handle is most probably die cast aluminium or some soft silvery metal alloy (probably not pure zinc), usually painted with a medium grey enamel (Eclipse grey).

In this way, the theory was that the user could have a variety of blade pitches in one handsaw, and when resharpening was necessary it was simply a matter of putting in a new hacksaw blade.

Where used? Wherever a small handsaw was required - for tenons, for cutting fibro panels (yes, nasty fibro asbestos stuff), handyman woodwork around the home, etc.

I seem to recall that these were available in the 1950's - when there was a general shortage of tools of most types across Australia, and this was imported from the mother country and sold as a way of providing a low cost and flexible little saw into a home construction / renovation market that was expanding rapidly as the privations of WW2 and immediate post-war rationing were eased.

All in all, quite an interesting part of our hand tool heritage but probably a bit difficult to use "as intended" now.

One to keep and enjoy!

Best wishes

burraboy
24th November 2010, 06:42 AM
Thanks woodie one for a most informative reply. :2tsup:

mick A S
26th November 2010, 09:12 PM
I remember using one as an appretice plumber we used it for cutting PVC pipe because a normal hacksaw was not deep enough for 100mm pipe wereas this would cut through no problem i think dad still has it