PDA

View Full Version : A collectors workbench!

bookend
24th November 2010, 01:58 AM
Have a look at this! I didn't even know people collected workbenches. :rolleyes:

I am not associated with this in any way.

Woodworkers/cabinetmakers bench | Tools | Gumtree Perth (http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tools-DIY-Woodworkers-cabinetmakers-bench-W0QQAdIdZ244086739)

groeneaj
24th November 2010, 09:30 AM
I'd love that workbench, but the cost :o

IanW
24th November 2010, 09:32 AM
BE - if there's more than one of it, someone collects it - have you never watched the ABC on Friday nights? :U

They look like quite nice benches, but six grand seems like a heck of a wad to drop on a bench when you should be able to make one at least as good for next to nothing, excluding vises, of course, which can blow the budget quick-smart, depending on your choices. I've always said, if you deserve a decent bench, you can make it, but I guess there are folk who are time-poor, who just want to get on with making stuff & skip the bench-building part. I can sort-of understand that, but the Scots blood in me would never let me do it!

Besides, building a decent bench to fill your own needs is one of the most satisfying projects for a weekend wood-warrior - though not quite sure I would ever go to the lengths our colleague Groggy is going to.....:o :U

Cheers,

Scribbly Gum
24th November 2010, 09:36 AM
A very nice workbench indeed.
Seems to be made for a left-hander.
Certainly is the opposite of my layout anyway.
I have my bench vice on the left front and the end vice on the right hand end.
Cheers
SG

Groggy
24th November 2010, 10:24 AM
...snip... I've always said, if you deserve a decent bench, you can make it, but I guess there are folk who are time-poor, who just want to get on with making stuff & skip the bench-building part. I can sort-of understand that, but the Scots blood in me would never let me do it!

Besides, building a decent bench to fill your own needs is one of the most satisfying projects for a weekend wood-warrior - though not quite sure I would ever go to the lengths our colleague Groggy is going to.....:o :U

Cheers,I agree with you Ian - very, very rewarding and also highly educational. Mind you, at $6000 for that bench it makes me wonder what mine might fetch :think:

kman-oz
24th November 2010, 10:26 AM
Perhaps this might suite the time-poor, but I can personally see several functional flaws which make the asking price even greater. I'm with Ian, building a bench to suite yourself would be far more satisfying.

IanW
24th November 2010, 10:26 AM
I agree with you Ian - very, very rewarding and also highly educational. Mind you, at $6000 for that bench it makes me wonder what mine might fetch :think:

Minus $6,000 Grog. - removal costs (crane hire, etc.)! :D:D

Avagoodone,

derekcohen
24th November 2010, 05:08 PM
I think I visited this bench maker several years ago, or one that strongly resembled him. The benches are solidly built and finished, and generally feature very good quality vices. However they are not a "traditional" cabinetmaker construction, that is, they do not use mortice and tenon joints with dovetailed cap ends, etc. The construction is butt jointed and bolted. The end vise is a bolt-on rather than a built-in. This is not what I would aspire to for my workshop, regardless of the price (which is rather high for the manner of construction).

Regards from Perth

Derek