PDA

View Full Version : Bargain Lathes

Roulston
25th November 2010, 03:13 PM
Until today I was going to buy one of the SM-0920V variable speed lathes on sale until Saturday at AssetPlant. $1204 GST-inc.:cool: Before they all go.

That is until I found a local add for a CQ6230A in the suburb next to mine. Bought two years ago, brand new, has NEVER cut metal. The seller got very sick after buying it and it sat unused in his garage. Together with an engine lifter (how else does one move it), all normal extras (chucks steadies etc) and a pile of carbide index tools (unused) for $2500.:2tsup:

This is much more lathe than I need, but the only down side is the space it takes up,:oo: the extra stretch on the budget and that I have been buying up tools for a 9x20. Well at least my headstock MT3s will now fit the tailstock.:doh:

Expect to see the AXA tool post on ebay soon.

But there is a question in here for you. Why is it that I can not find much in the way of MT5 chuck shanks etc?:?

Anyway, now I have to order a skip and start cleaning out the workshop.

Tony

Stustoys
25th November 2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Tony
Your lathe has a camlock spindle.

There should be a MT5 to MT3 adaptor.

Stuart

Dave J
25th November 2010, 03:21 PM
Great score you got their, it will be something that will last a life time and you wont grow out of. More of a bonus getting the crane to lift it.
With the MT5 you can get them, but it is easier and cheaper to use the MT5 to MT3 that comes with the lathe or can be bought cheap from almost anywhere.
CTC tools is a good place to shop for cheap tools as well as a few others in the US mentioned on here.
MORSE TAPER DRILL PRESS REDUCTION SLEEVE - 1PC #G10 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-357/DRILL-PRESS-REDUCTION-SLEEVE/Detail)

Dave

Roulston
25th November 2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Tony
Your lathe has a camlock spindle.

There should be a MT5 to MT3 adaptor.

Stuart

Yes of course. Another Doh! moment.

Thanks Stuart.