PDA

View Full Version : Hollow turning

Big Mac
25th November 2010, 09:30 PM
I have in the last two months been trying my hand at hollow forms.
I have some difficulty in getting an even thickness and also a smooth finish on the inside.

Are there any ways that i can overcome this?
I am using a pro-forme flexi hollowing tool.

These are some of the hollow forms that i have done .

Regards Neil

mkypenturner
25th November 2010, 10:03 PM
nice work:2tsup:

TTIT
25th November 2010, 11:14 PM
Nice work Neil :2tsup: When I've finished getting rid of the bulk with the Pro-forme, I switch to a tear drop scraper in shear mode to level out the ridges and refine the inner shape. In most cases that is the end of it - remember that if you can't reach it to judge how smooth it is, nor can anyone else :; . If I'm feeling really fussy, I attack it with my Foot-Long-Finger which can get you as good a finish inside as out if you have time :2tsup: Check it out on this thread ... http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/all-new-whizz-bang-flf-mkiii-113763/ or on my website here. (http://www.ttit.id.au/gadgets/FLF.htm)

Cliff Rogers
25th November 2010, 11:18 PM
Red Cedar is nice stuff for hollow turning, I have won a couple of prizes with hollowed Red Cedar, it comes out SOOOOO light it is unbelievable. :2tsup:

Nai84
26th November 2010, 01:22 AM
WOW well done mate nice pieces they are very well formed and the finish looks awsome well done :2tsup:

Alessandro Erpi
26th November 2010, 07:05 AM
Well done!!
A beautiful production!!!

rsser
26th November 2010, 12:06 PM
Another option is not to sand but to texture.

I did this with a toothpick scraper on a semi-enclosed vase form - scraping roughish but even rings down the depth; it was quick and worked a treat.

It made for visual interest and no fingers needed to be risked in the venture.

Sing out if you want more detail.

steck
26th November 2010, 02:56 PM
Vermec make a nifty sanding head for inside hollow forms. It's a bit like TTIT's foot long finger!!
Ultimate Sanding Head (http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/ultimatesandinghead.pdf)

steck
26th November 2010, 02:57 PM
Another option is not to sand but to texture.

I did this with a toothpick scraper on a semi-enclosed vase form - scraping roughish but even rings down the depth; it was quick and worked a treat.

It made for visual interest and no fingers needed to be risked in the venture.

Sing out if you want more detail.

Ern,
I would appreciate a bit more detail on this -IINTMT?

Big Mac
27th November 2010, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the nice comments,really appreciated

TTIT,checked it out very impressed,should save a lot o wear on fingers.

Ern would like more info please

Neil

rsser
27th November 2010, 01:32 PM
K, click this link (http://www.thewoodsmith.com.au/thewoodsmith/rsmoreinfo3.htm).

I used the small square ended scraper tip ('toothpick') just to go down and cut shallow grooves on the inside of the Mango form. Knock off any splinters with a bit of abrasive paper. It's a bit like making a rough finish a regular rough finish.

It would prob make a mess of soft timbers like Aus Cedar and work best with finer denser woods. This is the only piece I've done it with.

HTH

Nai84
27th November 2010, 05:57 PM
Hey rsser

WOW that is nice piece of mango I like that idea with the groves on the inside looks fantastic nice job :2tsup:

Ian

artme
27th November 2010, 08:18 PM
Nice work on those hollow forms Neil!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I like your work to Ern.:):)

There was an interesting discussion at our turners' club one time when we had a guest turner in to demonstrate. His preference was to leave the inside as well finished as possible without resorting to sanding. Of course this put him at odds withe other turners, especially judges.

Seems to me that judges draw up their own set of rules based on their personal preferences AND their pig headed prejudices. I have heard of a couple of judges who simply would not countenance a form that was not dead smooth inside. Stupid really.

orificiam
27th November 2010, 10:45 PM
Congratulations on a nice collection of Hollow turnings.:2tsup:
Cheers Tony.:)

Big Mac
27th November 2010, 10:47 PM
The mango looks great. like the way you have scraped the inside.

Regards Neil:

rsser
28th November 2010, 05:16 AM
Thanks.

Arthur a while ago there was a reaction against the perfect internal sanding job among some pro turners in the US; someone started texturing instead which is where I picked up the idea while others took a position that a reasonable finish off the tool was good enough.

Sawdust Maker
28th November 2010, 07:36 AM
Big Mac

Nice work:2tsup:
Was going to say I really liked the black wattle but the cedar looks superb as well
what finish did you use?

Photo hint: you might consider a longer focal length lens and getting back a bit from the subject, this would stop the forms looking like they are leaning together

Ern

Nice bit of mango
can't see anything wrong with texturing the inside of a form:2tsup:

Think I'll have to borrow someones proform or the like to try this caper out :wink: