PDA

View Full Version : Cataract Prescription

Glennet
26th November 2010, 04:11 PM
I need cataract surgery on my right eye, the left one is fine. I'm 65 and always been shortsighted.

There are two options. One is to match the prescription to the left eye, the other is to go for perfect distance vision in the right eye.

The second option sounds best, particularly as the left eye will need doing eventually and then I'll have two perfect eyes (but by then the rest of me will probably be stuffed).

However my close up vision is now perfect without glasses, when I'm trying to measure and mark something accurately I take my multifocals off or look over them, so I'd lose that I assume anyway, I didn't think to ask.

I wondered if you guys had any thoughts.

Foo
27th November 2010, 05:17 AM
If you have one growing on the other eye, it maybe best to go with your second option.

Have you spoken about corrective laser sight repair for your other eye? But having said both of these things Glennet, I would be talking to your Dr for the the correct answers.

Good luck with the operation, when you have it though!

graemet
27th January 2011, 04:16 PM
Glen,
it's probably too late now, but you will eventually be better off having good distance vision in both eyes. You will need readers or extended readers for close/workshop but you should already be using eye protection there anyway. Steer away from laser surgery, it's great for the first 5-10 years, then the cornea goes haywire in many cases and you need hard contact lenses to see anything. (Google: Bowmans Membrane)
This is at the front of the eye and is burnt away with laser, bad news as it is one half the support structure of the refractive cornea,

Glennet
28th January 2011, 09:23 PM
Glen,
it's probably too late now, but you will eventually be better off having good distance vision in both eyes. You will need readers or extended readers for close/workshop but you should already be using eye protection there anyway. Steer away from laser surgery, it's great for the first 5-10 years, then the cornea goes haywire in many cases and you need hard contact lenses to see anything. (Google: Bowmans Membrane)
This is at the front of the eye and is burnt away with laser, bad news as it is one half the support structure of the refractive cornea,

Thanks Graeme. It is only affecting one eye and isn't at all noticeable so I'm not hurrying with the operation. I saw two ophthalmologists, one recommended operating the other suggested I wait until it became a problem, and that sounded like better advice.