PDA

View Full Version : Wooden planes

spencer411
27th November 2010, 02:10 AM
Hey just curious, would jarrah be ok to use for wooden hand planes? What about sheoak?

orraloon
27th November 2010, 03:58 PM
I am only having a stab here as I have not yet made a plane although I have refurbished a few woodies. The usual wood was beech so both jarrah and sheoak are harder than that so should do. The only other thing to take into account is how much movenent there will be with humidity changes so perhaps the jarrah as first pick.
Regards
John

ian
2nd December 2010, 12:02 AM
Hey just curious, would jarrah be ok to use for wooden hand planes? What about sheoak?wont comment re sheoak, but Derek C has build a jointer from jarrah Built a Jointer (http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/Built%20a%20Jointer.html)

IanW
2nd December 2010, 09:07 AM
Spencer - I haven't made an entire plane body with Sheoak, but use it a lot for replacement totes & knobs and handles of all sorts. It's a bit 'splitty', but stable & tough and should be ok in that role - I intend to try it out for a plane body one of these days. I've been making a smoother with Sheoak infill, but haven't got it working, yet, so can't comment on how successful that is yet, either.
Cheers,