PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Pics

echnidna
5th November 2004, 11:13 AM
Some pics of my workshop,

This set of pics shows the DC ducting.
Its set high so it doesnt reduce usable shop space.
And the external DC shed
with the collector drums and the high mounted pump

echnidna
5th November 2004, 11:17 AM
Inside to the left is a movable bench holding the thicknesser and dropsaw
In the centre is my sawbench setup with power feeder and a rear photo

echnidna
5th November 2004, 11:21 AM
My new outdoor timber rack reduced a large mess in my shed.
Maybe I'll finish putting the weaterboards on it one day and get aroiund to a paint job.
Pigs might fly too!!

Pat
5th November 2004, 12:15 PM
A real workshop, nothing like the neat sterile one from Derek. I am just jealous of you both. I just have the rear of the garage for a bench and various hand and hand power toys, but I have fun which is the raison d'etre

BobR
5th November 2004, 01:08 PM
Bob, good work. Just wish that I could have my DC set up as a permanent fixture. What size motor are you using.

Pat, now that I have seen your work bench mine looks sooooo drab. Just LOVE the colour :D .

Bob

Zed
5th November 2004, 01:25 PM
Pat,

I notice that your dog food box doesnt have a name, so does this mean you either dont like your dog or you go through dogs so fast that its not worth naming them.... ??? :D

echnidna
5th November 2004, 05:44 PM
Bob,
I am at the top limit of electricity usage. As my homemade sawbench has a 3HP Repulsion Induction motor it means there isn't much headroom left in my electric supply to run other tools simultaneously. Otherwise I would have gone for a 2HP DC. But considering my ducts are short the small unit stacked up in theory and works well in practice.

So I opted for a 1 HP under bench type DC. It removes the larger stuff (at about industrial standard).

On my soon to do gunna list I am going to install a couple of low set exhaust fans to control fines. Low set is the way to go as it pulls dusty air below the breathing level. Though to be honest I probably don't need them as the air seems clean.

The DC and the 1/4 Hp power feeder work ok with the saw.
The DC works very well with the wide drum sander, but I converted it to a 4" hose.

echnidna
5th November 2004, 05:47 PM
Pat you have a good workshop, you just haven't got the fancy machinery - but you have fun. THAT IS THE IMPORTANT PART !!!

chook
5th November 2004, 07:45 PM
Dear Mr Echidna,

If I understand your letter you are running all your dust collection from a single 1 HP dust collector and it all works. What is its flow rate? 600 cfm? What is the longest distance from collector to machine? it looks like you are using 4 inch PVC. Is that correct?

from a very curious Chook.

PS I have often suspected that I get a lot of satisfaction from the mere fact of having a work shop and working on improving it as well as the fun of actually using the tools. I have noticed that others also seem to take a lot of pride in their workshop as well as the beautiful items that come from it.

echnidna
5th November 2004, 08:00 PM
Chook
Yes its a 600 cfm pump with a small footprint.
About 3 metres to the sawbench. The sawbench hose is a pushon fit so it can hook up the thicknesser or drop saw very fast and easily.
Under 3 metres to the Wide Belt Sander - permanently connected.
The following tools are not hooked up yet though all the gates are in place.
About 4 metres to drill press\ scrollsaw\ belt sander.
About 5 metres to the wood lathe. This might be the only iffy one but I don't use the lathe very often and won't know how well it works until I try it.

BTW I used the air flow rates and info from the Jet site to work the system out. (sorry but I lost most my bookmarks so I don't jhave the actual URL ).

I setup the extraction point roughly halfway along the ducting so a small machine would do the job. It is quite adequate though not wonderful.

echnidna
5th November 2004, 08:02 PM
Sorry Chook, yes its 4" pvc ducting.

chook
6th November 2004, 01:24 AM
Sorry Chook, yes its 4" pvc ducting.
Thank you. I have a 1 HP 600 cfm extractor which is permanently hooked up to a jointer and a thicknesser. But based on your information I should be able to hook up a whole lot more to it if I am careful.

From a satisfied Chook.:D

RETIRED
6th November 2004, 07:24 AM
Pat,

I notice that your dog food box doesnt have a name, so does this mean you either dont like your dog or you go through dogs so fast that its not worth naming them.... ??? :D
I thought he kept the dog in there so he could find it. :D :D

Pat
7th November 2004, 07:05 AM
The drum actually says "Dog food" :) . The pup in the photo is Arnie, the Supervisor and absent is Tara, the site safety co-ordinator. Woof Woof :D