PDA

View Full Version : A couple of old hamers

mick A S
28th November 2010, 08:55 AM
A couple of old hamers
one is a lead beating dolly dad said it was an old hammer when he was an apprentice he is now 79
the other was used for sheet metal work

burraboy
1st December 2010, 06:20 AM
I've got my great-grandad's axe. It's had three new handles and a new head over time, but your tools don't seem to have suffered those improvements!

ozhunter
1st December 2010, 09:06 AM
I've got my great-grandad's axe. It's had three new handles and a new head over time, but your tools don't seem to have suffered those improvements!

LOL my Dad used that on me when I was a kid, makes people stop and look when you say it.

Love old tools.

dakotax3
1st December 2010, 04:24 PM
Mick,

On just about all old military gear I have seen there is a stamped arrow like on the hammerhead in the third photo. I wonder if the old fella can shed some light.

ozhunter
1st December 2010, 04:38 PM
Hadn't noticed the Broadarrow. Would like to know what the tool was used for.

mick A S
1st December 2010, 07:23 PM
hi :2tsup:
Not sure about the arow i thought it was interesting & with the number as well
I had told dad i bought a straight pain hammer at the markets so he dragged that one out off the draw & said they used it on sheet metal doing wired edges on buckets & things they used to make
will ask were he got it
The old lead beatting hammer does not get a lot off use these days so I think i will leave the handle in it's original condition
Cheers

SHEETMETAL
14th December 2010, 09:58 PM
Hello all,
The steel hammer was as the gentleman said, used to set wired edges on containers, such as cups, buckets etc, probably made by BRADES.

the wooden mallet is a bossing mallet, used for beating concave hollow shapes in just about any sheetmetal.

The general rule for naming smiting tools is if it is made of steel it is a hammer, if made of wood it is a mallet

Regards Gerard

Joe Townsville
19th March 2011, 09:36 PM
The arrow mark was to show that it was government property. It was used on everything e.g. military equipment.

mick A S
20th March 2011, 09:32 AM
hope the government don't want it back because it's mine now