PDA

View Full Version : Sturdee's turning tools and jigs.

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 04:14 PM
Having been recently introduced to miniature turning I made or adapted a set of miniature turning tools which might interest some.

The set consists of gouges, skew, parting tools, bedan, scrapers, drill and even a captive ring hook tool.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 04:19 PM
Based on an idea gained at the last WWW show I made a set of sanding tools for use on inside hollowing using hook and loop sandpaper.

Photo 1 shows the collection, no 2 the details for rounded corners, no 3 for the bottoms, no 4 for sanding the sides and the last one for polishing.

Peter.

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 04:27 PM
A while ago I mentioned that I made an indexing jig for use with my lathe chucks as my lathe didn't have an indexing facility.

Used it a number of times and it works well so here are the details.

Photo 1 shows the complete jig in action.

Photo 2 shows the wooden base which is clamped to the lathe bed like the banjo.

Photo 3 shows the top which is a bit of aluminium rod with the clamp assembly.

Photo 4 shows the detail of the clamp assembly, which is a bolt with an handle at one side and a spring on the other side before being shaped into a point.

The bolt is engaged into the chuck indexing points on the chuck side, to move pull on the handle and then release.

Peter.

rsser
28th November 2010, 04:31 PM
Nice work Peter.

Could you give us a shot in plan of your mini tools.

PS Is there a Vermec ring-in in pic 2?

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 04:46 PM
Nice work Peter.

Could you give us a shot in plan of your mini tools.

PS Is there a Vermec ring-in in pic 2?

Ern,

I'll take some close ups of the details of the mini tools for you and post them.

Yes, there is a vermec ring in. It was that one that gave me the idea to make them.

Replaced their short shaft with a long handle and bar. The bottom ones are standard sanding pads that can be unscrewed and was put on the plastic covered threaded rods and the side ones were from an old drill press sanding set.

Very handy in use.

The only trouble with making these is that my daughter also wants them, so I have to make 2 sets of everything.:D

Peter.

wheelinround
28th November 2010, 04:50 PM
Ern beat me to it mini tools handles look smick show us the other end. :U

Peter thats a top Indexing jig for that style of chuck :2tsup:

Oh those sanding tools how i could use those right now except its raining and I don't have them here.:roll:

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 05:14 PM
Ern, here are the details of the mini tools.

Photo 1 are gouges - an old 1/2" roughing, 1/4 spindle from Woodcraft ( handle shortened) & 1/8 spindle from Sorby also shortened.

Photo 2 are 3 point detail, 1/4 skew, 3/16 bedan.

Photo 3 - 1/16 parting tools.

Photo 4 - 1/8 square, 1/4 square and 1.4 round scrapers.

Photo 5 - 1/8 hand drill, 1/4 cove cutter (used like a scraper) and the captive ring cutter.

Peter.

artme
28th November 2010, 05:52 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Nice work Sturdee!!

Did you make them all from scratch or did you shape larger tools to suit?

CClaude, La Truciolara, showed me some mini tools he had made from dentists picks.

Sturdee
28th November 2010, 06:20 PM
Did you make them all from scratch or did you shape larger tools to suit?

Only the Woodfast 1/4 gouge and the 1/8 Sorby gouge I made from larger tools. With the Woodfast I cut of about 1/3 of the wooden handle and with the Sorby I shortened the gouge which was too long.

The rest I made from scratch using mainly HSS blanks, some old tool steel and even a concrete nail.

If I knew where to get some dental picks I would make some more.:D

Peter.

greyhound
2nd December 2010, 11:13 AM
A while ago I mentioned that I made an indexing jig for use with my lathe chucks as my lathe didn't have an indexing facility.

Used it a number of times and it works well so here are the details.

Photo 1 shows the complete jig in action.

Photo 2 shows the wooden base which is clamped to the lathe bed like the banjo.

Photo 3 shows the top which is a bit of aluminium rod with the clamp assembly.

Photo 4 shows the detail of the clamp assembly, which is a bolt with an handle at one side and a spring on the other side before being shaped into a point.

The bolt is engaged into the chuck indexing points on the chuck side, to move pull on the handle and then release.

Peter.

:2tsup: I have been thinking of making up a jig this one of yours looks great gives me some ideas on how to go about it, good photos as well .
graham

Sturdee
12th December 2010, 05:35 PM
Recently my daughter and I purchased some of Hughies creations. Wonderful tools, but it's a bit difficult to share when the workshops are a few miles apart.

So to complete my set I made the following myself. I used gal waterpipe with a bar or threaded rod glued in and then glued into the handle. A 300mm rule is shown to give an idea of size.

Peter.

Sturdee
12th December 2010, 05:38 PM
I also made the larger types for my daughter to complete her set.

Peter.

Sturdee
12th December 2010, 05:42 PM
I also made my versions of the Sorby hollowmaster, both bent and straight, from some mild steel rods, tapped a 3/16 " hole for the Sorby style cutter blades. Also for Michelle.

Planning to make a few more types as time permits.

Peter.

artme
12th December 2010, 07:57 PM
Nicely done Peter!:):):)

You need to be careful advertising like yhis. You might get some orders!:wink:

Sturdee
29th December 2010, 11:56 AM
Having made my versions of the Hollowmaster, I now started to make my versions of the mini hollowing tools.

In another thread I was asked how I bent the goose necks into the steel rods. I use an old 4" engineering vice, some extra pipes for leverage and brute strengths.

As a picture says a thousand words I took some whilst bending this one. It's 12 mm steel rod. Now that the neck is done I can cut and tap one end and make the handle.

Photo 1 is the vice in the ww vice.
Photo 2 - steel rod clamped making sure the full 4" is in the vice.
Photo 3 - pipes on rod ready for bending.
Photo 4 - after 1st bend.
Photo 5 - ready for second bend.
Photo 6 - bending completed.
Photo 7 - Finished product.

Peter.

rsser
29th December 2010, 12:25 PM
But you cut the short end of the gooseneck off no? So that the tip lines up with the main shaft.

Sturdee
29th December 2010, 02:23 PM
But you cut the short end of the gooseneck off no? So that the tip lines up with the main shaft.

Yes, I've just bend it and still have to cut it. You leave the short end longer whilst in the vice, else it slips out. DAMHIK.:-

Peter.

munruben
29th December 2010, 02:31 PM
So when are we going to see some of your miniature turnings Peter? BTW Nice work on the tools :2tsup:

Sturdee
29th December 2010, 02:37 PM
So when are we going to see some of your miniature turnings Peter? BTW Nice work on the tools :2tsup:

Probably about February next year. Daughter's workshop first, finish of the tool collections and then finally back on the lathe practicing, practicing and even more practicing hollow turning.

Peter.

munruben
31st December 2010, 02:14 PM
Probably about February next year.

Peter.Look forward to that Peter.:2tsup: