PDA

View Full Version : Al-280p Mill Drill Lathe Combined - Drawbar question

Chela
28th November 2010, 08:05 PM
Hi all,

I recently purchased an AL-280P Mill Drill Lathe combined from Hare and Forbes, then purchased a Collet Chuck Set - 3MT x ER32 again from H&F upon their recommendation.

My problem is that the drawbar has a different thread so when I tried using the collet chuck without the drawbar it eventually loosened and slipped out.

My question is has anyone else got this machine and gone through this process and what options do i have ?

Thanks

Chela

Dave J
28th November 2010, 08:40 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum Chela .:2tsup:

First off don't use it without a draw bar unless your drilling.The side thrust of milling will push it out every time.

I am really surprised it didn't come with a metric draw bar.:?
You could just get by for now with a piece of thread rod to fit the chuck from the local hardware store with 2 nuts locked together at the top and a washer.

A better fix would be to thread the end of a rod to suit and weld a head on it at the top.

What thread is the chuck most MT3 are M12 maybe your machine came with a 1/2 inch imperial draw bar.

Dave

Chela
28th November 2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Dave,

I will ask H&F tomorrow what size the thread is - i lent my thread gauge and it hasn't been returned yet.

I appreciate the quick fix option - i didn't think of doing that :-)

Thanks for your help.

Chela

Dave J
28th November 2010, 09:11 PM
Just had a look at it on the H&F web site. Looks like a handy little machine and should give plenty of hours of enjoyment.

Do you have plans for making something?

Is the draw bar thread smaller larger or the same size as the collet chuck?
The bolts on these machines are usually metric could you take one out and try it in the chuck or do you have any other bolts laying around you could try?

Dave

Chela
28th November 2010, 11:34 PM
Hi Dave,

I'm hoping to make a screwless vice and a quick change tool post and tool holders.

The thread looks smaller it sort of starts to go in a bit then stops. the hole looks the same size just the thread is different.

Yes, I can take a bolt off and have a look.

Thanks

Chela

old_fella
29th November 2010, 12:05 AM
When you find what thread it is just get a piece of treaded rod, cut it to length and plug weld a nut on it or buy a bolt the right length and use it with a washer. You could just take it into a place near you that sells bolts and threaded rod and they could find a piece of rod or bolt to suit the thread

Dave J
29th November 2010, 12:09 AM
Hi Chela,
It sounds like an imperial collet chuck. If it's the $250 or $270 6 piece kit, to save you some money I would take it back and get a refund and buy a complete set of 19 collets from CTC tools. I nearly bought my set from them when I bought my mill as well, I am glad I didn't because I got my set for half the price off ebay the following week.

A full set of ER32 with a MT3 collet chuck from them is only be $128 posted to you, which is have the price and you will have a full set.
While your their I would buy a few extra collet chucks (their only $16 each) so you can have different size cutters in each, it will save time changing them over all the time.
His postage is quick at around 14 days or less, and he is a good honest bloke to deal with.
ER32 MT3 COLLET CHUCK #A75 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-38/ER32-MT3-MK3-COLLET/Detail)

ER32 COLLET SET (19 PCS) #A07 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-18/FULL-ER32-COLLET-SET/Detail)

With the scewless vice it's hard to go past this one on ebay for the price
63MM-2.5"QUICK ACTION PRECISION TOOLMAKERS' VISE (QKG) (eBay item 380293015085 end time 26-Dec-10 18:38:13 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380293015085)
It is nicely ground and hardened and comes in a timber box. A lot of forum members have been buying them.
Also at the price of the CDCO tool holders at $9, it would be hard to make them for that. A decent dovetail cutter will cost around $100 over here.

Dave

Edit
Forgot to add
I had a look at their site, and by the looks of it you have a 1/2 inch whitworth collet chuck, they sell both metric and this one.

jatt
30th November 2010, 06:16 AM
Yep had the same isssue myself. As already suggested all I use is some theadded rod and a nut welded on. Hardest bit was looking thru all of the rod in the shop for the straightest bit I could find.

franco
30th November 2010, 11:34 AM
Chela,

You will probably end up with a selection of differently threaded drawbars depending on what tooling you buy. There doesn't seem to be any standardisation of drawbar threads for 3MT. I have tooling requiring 1/2X12 Whitworth, 12X1.75 metric, 10X1.5 metric and 3/8 Whitworth drawbars, and I know some tooling also uses 1/2X13 UNC drawbars, though I do not have any thing with this thread myself. As mentioned above, the threaded rod drawbars are cheap and work well.

Frank.

Chela
30th November 2010, 09:50 PM
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice....looks like I'm doing some shopping for a bunch of threaded rod.

Dave, I appreciate the links - I must say I'm pleasantly surprised by the prices.

Did I mention I love this forum lol :U

Thanks again

Chela

Chela
9th December 2010, 09:50 PM
Guys, I got the threaded rod and welded a nut on the end - works a treat, thank you :U

Dave J, I bought the recommended screwless vice as well as an AXA 100 type QCTP set from CDCO.

Just wondering if anybody has bought this tool post and how fitted it to the AL-280P.

Thanks

Chela

neksmerj
9th December 2010, 10:50 PM
Chela,

Go back to this thread for threaded rod.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/urgent-attention-threaded-rod-factory-closing-very-soon-127049/

Ken

Dave J
9th December 2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Chela ,
No problems, glad I could help you out to get some gear cheaper.
I know a few guys have fitted those size tool posts, but not sure if it was to a lathe like yours, it might be worth a search of the forum.
Does yours have a T slot or a stud to bolt the standard one in place? Could you take a picture of it, as the website picture makes it hard to see the tool post mount.

Those vises are back up to $60 just like last time when I went to buy one.:doh: I know I will kick myself latter when they skyrocket in price if I don't get another one now.
What do you think of yours?

Not sure if you know, but CDCO will work with you to fill a flat rate box to get the best postage on your gear. They are the cheapest tool holders around anywhere.

Dave

Chela
9th December 2010, 11:41 PM
Thanks neksmerj, I did see the thread when it was first posted but as I'm in Sydney and they are in Victoria i didn't look further.

Dave J, I'm very happy with the vice it's professionally made and looks great.

re: "Does yours have a T slot or a stud to bolt the standard one in place?"

The toolpost has a bolt with a large square bar screwed on the bottom which i guess is to be machined down to fit the T slot that my milling bed has.

CDCO is great, yes they are extremely competitive and their products are solid and well constructed, what worried me were the comments that were posted here about delivery delays from the US but to my surprise my order came through quicker than I expected and yes Frank did advise on the most economical way of shipping the goods.

Thoroughly recommend CDCO - based on my experience.

Dave J
10th December 2010, 12:40 AM
If your lathe has a T slot just machine the block down to suit.
This thread might help you out, start at post #162
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?216408-my-new-lathe-...-Precision-Matthews-12x36-.../page6
If your after any end mills face mills or other tooling, CTC has a good range and is a nice bloke to deal with as well. He has a cheaper range of cutters for doing softer metals and aluminum, instead of having to pay the price for the premium ones where their not really needed.

Dave

Chela
10th December 2010, 06:13 PM
Dave j,

That's the logical thing to do however if i do that then the toolpost will be too low ie it can't reach the centre of whatever I want to turn.

I'm looking for how i can make a set up that raises the toolpost so the cutting tool can reach the centre of the job.

Chela

Dave J
10th December 2010, 06:59 PM
Dave j,

That's the logical thing to do however if i do that then the toolpost will be too low ie it can't reach the centre of whatever I want to turn.

I'm looking for how i can make a set up that raises the toolpost so the cutting tool can reach the centre of the job.

Chela

Sorry but I am only guessing what you need without any pictures or dimensions.

If you have to raise it up, buy some flat bar the right thickness (or machine it to size), to go between the tool post and the compound. To keep it in place and stop it turning, counter sink some socket head bolts through the flat bar into the tool post T nut.

Dave

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2010, 07:29 PM
If your lathe has a T slot just machine the block down to suit.
This thread might help you out, start at post #162

Which thread would that be Dave? No link posted

Dave J
10th December 2010, 08:36 PM
Which thread would that be Dave? No link posted

I fixed it up, this is the link
CandlePowerForums (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?216408-my-new-lathe-...-Precision-Matthews-12x36-.../page6)

Dave

DJ’s Timber
10th December 2010, 09:16 PM
Thanks Dave, looks like you have to register before you can see it though :doh:

Dave J
10th December 2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks Dave, looks like you have to register before you can see it though :doh:

Hi DJ,
They just had a site upgrade so I would say they have changed it as you could see pictures before without registering.
I could copy and post the pictures here for you and the other members if you want me to? I don't think they would mind as long as it is said where they come from.

Dave