PDA

View Full Version : Tiling

ernknot
5th November 2004, 07:22 PM
I need to lay about 50 sq. metres of ceramic tiles onto concrete. What is the adhesive you would use? Would it be a premix propriotry glue or could you mix your own , something like a mortar mix? Is there such a homemade mix available?

johnc
5th November 2004, 08:10 PM
Ern,

Generally your concrete base will move at a slightly different rate as the tiles, especially if direct sun or other heat is applied to the surface so you don't want an adhesive that can not move. My brother used neat cement looked fine for a short time but then fine cracks began appearing in the tiles then large areas began to run cracks in all sorts of amazing patterns. I'd use a propietory mix myself but you could use something similar to a brickies mix, this will allow some minimal movement usually enough for most surfaces and reasonable adhesion for the tiles, it does not hurt to wet the back of the tile to improve adhesion whilst laying either.

Regards, John

ernknot
6th November 2004, 07:55 PM
John,
Thanks for the advise, looks like I may have to go with a proprietory mix. certainly don't want the tiles to crack.

MarkV
7th November 2004, 01:52 AM
Kemgrip or a similar type flexible tile adhesive is the go for this type of caper. About $30 for a 10Kilo bag depending on where you buy it. You can add an additive in lieu of some water that will set you back about $5 a litre that should help with the movement as well. I've got a mate who does this for a quid and this is what he has recommended and done for 20 years and seems to work just fine.