PDA

View Full Version : Daylesford Men`s Shed

colin dunlop
29th November 2010, 10:51 AM
Hi guy`s, new boy here first post. I`m the manager of the Daylesford mens shed, we started about 2 yrs ago and have just got our approval for our new shed :2tsup: (councils don`t you just love em):~ We start pouring our slab I hope in Jan so I will try to start to get some pics when we get going. We have about 20 blokes on the books , still have to find my way around this here computer .

Cheers for now
Col

tea lady
29th November 2010, 05:10 PM
:2tsup:Fantastic! I have great fun at the Knox wood workers workshop! What sort of groups do you have there? Turning and everything? :U

colin dunlop
29th November 2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks Tea Lady.
We do all types of things,turning ,auto, welding,leadlighting,slab surfacing with a ubeaut Torque Work Centre we purchased from the wood show in Oct.:D We also have a womens group on fridays, basic woodwork but a few are into slab bush seats, good stuff!
Regards Col D

Avery
29th November 2010, 11:04 PM
Well done Col and all your mates at Daylesford.

Our shed, the Hills Mens Shed, has been going about the same time, a couple of years, and it just keeps getting better.

If any of your mates get up here to NW Sydney , make sure they drop in for a cuppa and a guided tour.

colin dunlop
30th November 2010, 04:31 PM
G`day Avery

There pretty good these mens sheds could be up in NSW next year would be good to catch up for a cuppa and yarn.
Col D

tea lady
30th November 2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks Tea Lady.
We do all types of things,turning ,auto, welding,leadlighting,slab surfacing with a ubeaut Torque Work Centre we purchased from the wood show in Oct.:D We also have a womens group on fridays, basic woodwork but a few are into slab bush seats, good stuff!
Regards Col DKnox doesn't have a separate day for women, but 2 or three are always there. And on Friday's for the traditional furniture making with hand tools we are out numbering the blokes.:cool:

colin dunlop
30th November 2010, 06:37 PM
We were supposed to have 14 women on the friday but so far only 5 have turned up, they don`t what they are missing, when the word get`s out we could be overun, this is our second term with this programme.

John T
30th November 2010, 08:16 PM
HI colin
welcome to the mens sheds i hope every thing goes well in the new year with the concrete pour.If you happen to be in tasmania at some stage call into the shed in Deloraine and have cuppa.
regards John T

jock2000
30th November 2010, 08:19 PM
Good to hear your shed is getting built, ours is at a similar stage to yours and we are still dealing with he local council:(( Might see if I can find some time to come down and visit if that is OK, have to wait till the water goes down

colin dunlop
30th November 2010, 10:52 PM
G`day John
Been to Deloraine many years great spot! would love to take you up on that offer, I nearly made it to Tas for the National Mens shed general meeting last year but SWMBO had something else on. Maybe I`ll get there soon

Regards Col D

colin dunlop
30th November 2010, 10:57 PM
Welcome any time ,when you can make it give me a yell, we meet on Thursdays
Cheers Col D

tea lady
1st December 2010, 09:16 AM
Hope we get an invite to the shed warming. :cool::D

:idea: Daylsford would be a great place for a turnfest! :D (Not that we're allowed to use the term "ternfest" Apparently someone else has patented it! :doh: )

Maddog
1st December 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Guys....and ladies. Well its been two years since we started with a steering committee for the Murwillumbah Men's Shed. (I'm Chairman) Its not too far away, possibly Jan-Feb we should take over a decommissioned pump shed sponsored by Tweed Shire Council. Great brick and tile building, many areas for computer/electronics, smoko, engine/lawnmowers, cooking, smoko, woodworking, welding, garden, smoko, did I say that again? guess the Men's Shed is all about sharing, stories and what better place to speak up....smoko!
Anyway, still looking at Inc., and constitution and many other things like trying to get started!! Sure the members will know what to do.
Look forward to hearing your stories. Cheers, Maddog

colin dunlop
1st December 2010, 01:14 PM
Sure will , we have about 4 lathes so we can make up our own name for a fest,lots of "fests" up here in Daylesford

colin dunlop
1st December 2010, 01:35 PM
Hi Maddog
That`s the only way to go with the Inc we are with the Daylesford Neighourhood centre and while it helped to get us started, we really have to go our own way now so we know where our money is etc and not to be told that we have to do a learning procces, we 64 (thats me ) and some 80yr olds really don`t like to be told how to use machines and tools by someone that knows nothing about it, and when it is all boiled down that is not what a mens shed is all about.

Like you said smoko ,talk, little bit of work on the important things, smoko etc, etc.

Will keep you updated Re- Inc as we have just given our 21 days notice of the meeting to start our Inc Cheers Col D

Maddog
1st December 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi Col, 21 days notice?, will check with Dept Fair Trading. We are under the auspice of Uniting Care Aging as they look after insurance costs, some admin and some else. The MOU will reveal more. Cheers

fishin27
1st December 2010, 02:13 PM
G'day Colin and Maddog,

I'm a newie to this forum as well Colin...(virgin)

Congrats on the council approval etc..

Anyway, I'm the Hunter Valley Men's shed Cluster coordinator. If you or Maddog want a copy of any documents. (memorandoms of understanding, constitutions etc) the 17 sheds I try and help are happy to shair what we have with other sheds. Just drop me a line and I'll do what I can to give you what you need or at the least I should be able to send you in the right direction.

We've just had the NSW Men's shed association gathering at Myuna Bay. What a great weekend. Love it when people are passionate about the movement.

I've been doing this a little over a year.....what an awsome job:U

Maddog
1st December 2010, 02:30 PM
Hi Fishin27, that would be great to get a copy of MOU, constitutions/rules?, Strategic plan, an idea of Budget and capital and running costs. Putting in a Community Builders grant at present....not the easiest thing to do with out some forth seen!! We are members of AMSA, thought they may be able to advise us more on constitutions etc, best to talk with other sheds. Think my email is with AMSA web site. Don't know if we can put our email address here.
Was hoping to get down to Myuna, but too busy here.
There has been a call for a cluster in the Tweed, try and get one shed up and running first. Thanks again, Maddog

crowie
1st December 2010, 03:14 PM
G'Day Colin and welcome.
I keep hearing about these mens shed everywhere and what an excellent role the play in community; there are so many blokes out there who have worked hard all there working life and then in retirement can give to there local community with the collective knowledge and ability.
A HUGE WELL DONE to you Colin and all the blokes in the mens sheds all over the place.
Cheers, Crowie

watson
1st December 2010, 03:18 PM
We would love you to put your email here.:2tsup:
That's one of the reasons the forum was started.

colin dunlop
2nd December 2010, 05:10 PM
Hi Maddog we had a prlim meeting today just to make sure that everyone was happy, which they were, we now have to apply for name registration ABN No and then we should be away and racing,(famous last words) keep you lnformed

Regards Col D

colin dunlop
2nd December 2010, 05:27 PM
G'day Colin and Maddog,

I'm a newie to this forum as well Colin...(virgin)

Congrats on the council approval etc..

Anyway, I'm the Hunter Valley Men's shed Cluster coordinator. If you or Maddog want a copy of any documents. (memorandoms of understanding, constitutions etc) the 17 sheds I try and help are happy to shair what we have with other sheds. Just drop me a line and I'll do what I can to give you what you need or at the least I should be able to send you in the right direction.

We've just had the NSW Men's shed association gathering at Myuna Bay. What a great weekend. Love it when people are passionate about the movement.

I've been doing this a little over a year.....what an awsome job:U

Hi fishin27 Welcome aboard I`ve never been to the Hunter Valley but I believe it is quite a nice area. One of our members is very up with all that guff (Re Inc) thank god and he is handeling that side of it but I will get in touch with you if we get into trouble, thanks for the offer.
Your dead right mate best thing I`ve been involved in for a long time:2tsup:

colin dunlop
2nd December 2010, 05:40 PM
G'Day Colin and welcome.
I keep hearing about these mens shed everywhere and what an excellent role the play in community; there are so many blokes out there who have worked hard all there working life and then in retirement can give to there local community with the collective knowledge and ability.
A HUGE WELL DONE to you Colin and all the blokes in the mens sheds all over the place.
Cheers, Crowie

Thanks Crowie
I think they get huge pleasure in coming to the shed and they even have a big smile on their face even when you tell them " no pay today guys" bet they would`nt have smiled in their working days , cuppa,good yak and a couple of braggs how good they are:D:rolleyes: and they are having a great day.
Regards Col D

colin dunlop
2nd December 2010, 05:42 PM
We would love you to put your email here.:2tsup:
That's one of the reasons the forum was started.

Hi Watson

My email is [email protected]

Cheers Col D

Avery
2nd December 2010, 09:19 PM
G'Day Colin and welcome.
Cheers, Crowie

You are dead right there Crowie.

In our little shed we have brickies, accountants, printers, boilermakers, barristers, fitters turners, coppers, toolmakers, electricians, clerks, salesmen , cabinet makers, business owners and just about anything else you can think of. We do need a plumber. Then there are all the skills that these blokes (and girls) have beyond their professions, like boat building, story telling, vintage car restoration, dancing, photography, beer drinking, bee keeping, graphic arts, lying (we have a couple of top liers) , music - it just goes on.

I would love to be able to harness all this talent to do some good stuff - well, actually we are doing that.

Why not get yourself along to a shed Crowie. There must be a few around Glenbrook/Springwood/Penrith. Join in, it really is A GOOD THING.

colin dunlop
2nd December 2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Maddog we had a prlim meeting today just to make sure that everyone was happy, which they were, we now have to apply for name registration ABN No and then we should be away and racing,(famous last words) keep you lnformed

Regards Col D

You are dead right there Crowie.

In our little shed we have brickies, accountants, printers, boilermakers, barristers, fitters turners, coppers, toolmakers, electricians, clerks, salesmen , cabinet makers, business owners and just about anything else you can think of. We do need a plumber. Then there are all the skills that these blokes (and girls) have beyond their professions, like boat building, story telling, vintage car restoration, dancing, photography, beer drinking, bee keeping, graphic arts, lying (we have a couple of top liers) , music - it just goes on.

I would love to be able to harness all this talent to do some good stuff - well, actually we are doing that.

Why not get yourself along to a shed Crowie. There must be a few around Glenbrook/Springwood/Penrith. Join in, it really is A GOOD THING.

Swap ya a plumber for the sparki and you can chuck in a couple of dancing girls, on second thoughts that would be no good we would never get the boys working :)

Regards Col D