PDA

View Full Version : Hare and Forbes SB-375 sand blaster

Sterob
30th November 2010, 08:07 PM
The cabinet I picked up recently,has the dust sucked through a 'filter box'(500 x 500 x 300 that sits on the floor) before going to a vacuum cleaner unit, similar to a Vax.
It seems too complicated, messy, bulky and have too many places for leaks to reduce the suction, so I am thinking of an alternative system.
I saw the unit mounted on the rear of the SB-375 and thought I might be able to retrofit one of those to my cabinet. It would be compact and simple. My question is, does it work very well? Anyone here own one of these? The unit is $400 to buy from H&F.
A second solution is to buy a unit from Burwell used on one of their blasting cabinets. That consists of a vac motor mounted on top of a 60L drum. I costs $1300!! but I suggest it would work very well.( I don't have any CFM figures for either unit ) but I did ask.......
I don't want to buy the H&F unit, retro fit it to my cabinet to find it dos not work very well......It looks a bit 'fragile'in the few pics I can find.
The Perth store ( 200km away ) doesn't have a SB-375 on display.

method m
1st December 2010, 09:28 PM
I have the sbc420 model and that looks identical to the one you pictured.

The dust extractor actually works very well. Just got to remember to keep emptying the hopper every few hours of use.

Sterob
1st December 2010, 10:42 PM
I have the sbc420 model and that looks identical to the one you pictured.

The dust extractor actually works very well. Just got to remember to keep emptying the hopper every few hours of use.

OK, that's good to know. I'd much rather spend $400 than $1300 if I can help it....lol
I couldn't find your model on their web site. Do they still sell it?

Sterob

Dave J
3rd December 2010, 12:41 AM
Do those extraction units come with the motor or are they just the cyclone canister?

Dave

Sterob
3rd December 2010, 10:41 AM
Do those extraction units come with the motor or are they just the cyclone canister?

Dave

Hi Dave,
The units come complete with motor and cannister type filter. They are not 'cyclone' type filters. I thought they might be too.
Nobody seems to own one, a bit of a bugger.

Sterob

method m
4th December 2010, 08:28 AM
I got mine from radum link here.
Radum Pty Ltd (http://www.radum.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=17_299&products_id=8457)

The extractor does have its own motor and cannister filter that you take out and clean every few hours.

Sterob
4th December 2010, 12:57 PM
I got mine from radum link here.
Radum Pty Ltd (http://www.radum.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=17_299&products_id=8457)

The extractor does have its own motor and cannister filter that you take out and clean every few hours.

......and your happy with the way it works? You don't wish it was more effective?

method m
4th December 2010, 01:54 PM
I think the main link in the chain is the effectivness of the compressor running it.

I have a reasonably large compressor but I still get a bit of a lull in pressure just before the compressor kicks in, so you are left waiting for a few seconds for more abrasive to start flowing from the gun.

Overall, the unit works well. The gun is O.K. You do go through a few ceramic nozzles but if you have access to a lathe, or even a drill press, you can make your own nozzles out of steel which is what I do.

They will last longer and are cheaper than replacing with the ceramic ones all the time.