PDA

View Full Version : Splines on DM45 spindle

Big Shed
1st December 2010, 01:00 PM
My new DM45 mill has an R8 spindle and it has splines on the top part of the spindle.

What are these splines for? If the are to hold the spindle when tightening the drawbar, what tool is used. It didn't come with a tool for that.

It also came with an R8 arbor for a face mill, but no face mill. The end of the arbor is 1". What sort of face mill should I get? there appears to be quite a variety on the CDCO website.

Stustoys
1st December 2010, 01:08 PM
Picture?
You dont mean the spline that lets the spindle move up and down do you?
Stuart

Big Shed
1st December 2010, 01:34 PM
Picture?
You dont mean the spline that lets the spindle move up and down do you?
Stuart

Here you are.

Dave J
1st December 2010, 01:37 PM
Hi Fred,
As Stuart said they would be the splines to engage the power from the pulley to the spindle and allow the spindle to go up and down also.
Spanners are never supplied with these machines, but a lot of guys make them up to suit the spline and one guy in the US sells them. I will try to track down the pictures and pattern for you.
It should have come with a face mill standard (might be worth ringing them), the one I would recommend from CTC for your mill would be the 50mm one.
50 MM INDEXABLE FACE MILL, R8 ARBOR & 10 PCS MITSUBISHI CARBIDE INSERTS #D96 (http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-165/50-MM-INDEXABLE-FACE/Detail)

Dave

Big Shed
1st December 2010, 01:42 PM
Packing list clearly states R8 Arbor only, so they don't supply a face mill with it. They do supply a drill chuck and arbor as well.

CDCO has the face mills on their own but they have about 3 or 4 different types, is it the 90 deg I need? The 2" face mill is for the 1" arbor.

Dave J
1st December 2010, 01:51 PM
Found a couple of pictures for you
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154537&stc=1&d=1291171699

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154536&stc=1&d=1291171794

Dave

Dave J
1st December 2010, 02:01 PM
Packing list clearly states R8 Arbor only, so they don't supply a face mill with it. They do supply a drill chuck and arbor as well.

CDCO has the face mills on their own but they have about 3 or 4 different types, is it the 90 deg I need? The 2" face mill is for the 1" arbor.

They usually come with a face mill, they must have changed it. I have one here I picked up, they are not much good as they have individual cutter that have to be set right.
The one in the link in is a 90 deg 22mm bore face mill. I would just buy the arbour and the face mill together that way you know they will fit without any hassles.
The 90 deg one will probably be the most useful. If you are looking at removing a lot of metal I would go for a 45 deg one but it wont cut a shoulder.

Dave

Dave J
1st December 2010, 02:05 PM
I just realized we are on two different tracks with sellers,lol
I am on CTC and you are talking about CDCO.
It will be cheaper buying from CTC because you will get the arbour, face mill and 10 inserts for around $111 posted.

Dave

Big Shed
1st December 2010, 02:18 PM
They usually come with a face mill, they must have changed it. I have one here I picked up, they are not much good as they have individual cutter that have to be set right.
The one in the link in is a 90 deg 22mm bore face mill. I would just buy the arbour and the face mill together that way you know they will fit without any hassles.
The 90 deg one will probably be the most useful. If you are looking at removing a lot of metal I would go for a 45 deg one but it wont cut a shoulder.

Dave

The H&F HM-46 comes with a face mill supplied, but at $1200 more than mine, I'm not really complaining!

You're probably right about buying the complete unit, need a fair bit of stuff from CDCO so that's probably where I'll finish up getting it.

Thanks for the pics, my ER25 collet nut spanner fits on there as well so will probably use that if I need to hold the spindle. Being a geared head mill it may not be necessary.

Dave J
1st December 2010, 02:27 PM
I haven't bought much from CDCO so I can't say what the quality of their face mills are, but I have bought a bit from CTC and the quality of their end mills and face mills are good, and you get the added advantage of them being cheaper.

Dave

Big Shed
1st December 2010, 02:33 PM
I haven't bought much from CDCO so I can't say what the quality of their face mills are, but I have bought a bit from CTC and the quality of their end mills and face mills are good, and you get the added advantage of them being cheaper.

Dave

I have bought a fair bit of tooling from CDCO and it has been good quality, including the end mills I bought.

Their 2" R8 face mill is $US43, TPG-32 Carbide inserts are $US4 each, so the prices are about on a par.

Where CDCO wins out over CTC is that I am already buying stuff from them and it just goes in the Flat Rate box, so no extra postage cost.

pipeclay
1st December 2010, 02:58 PM
You wont be able to hold the Spline solid by only using the Gear Box.
If the ER collet spanner is a C type I dont think you will have to much success,it will more than likely slip,but it may work.
I use a piece of flatten rod inserted in the Spindle slot for removing M/T drills,I use this also for tightening the Draw Bars.