PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new 9x20 lathe

chris...
1st December 2010, 06:17 PM
Finally
Upgraded for the tiny taig lathe to a decent sized 9x20 lathe
I should first clean it with kerosene
Then lubricate with oil, the book says acid free oil, (actually it says caid free oil) will something like chain bar oil be reasonable?
I should make a new cross slid mount
Anything else I should do with it?

Dave J
1st December 2010, 06:26 PM
Chris,
It's always good getting new tools and machines,:D the bar oil will do fine for oiling bare metal surfaces.
There is another guy posting on here that is wanting a small lathe if you haven't already got rid of it.

Dave

chris...
1st December 2010, 06:46 PM
I still have it but I also have a Taig lather
I'm using the chucks for my on 4th axis mill and I can use the spindle on the mill
The tool post is also shot

It will need a new head chuck and tool post to be usable again

snowyskiesau
1st December 2010, 06:49 PM
Which lathe did you get? Pictures?

We thrive on tool :)

chris...
1st December 2010, 06:55 PM
Here (http://twitpic.com/3bsbzl)

Yes that 100kg lathe is on a plank of wood on a wood box :) which covers a generator
You should see the mill, its on wood blocks, a few incehs deep in swarf, soaked in coolant in a giant plastic tub
But I always wear safety gear, blurry vision beats no vision

Bryan
1st December 2010, 07:23 PM
I think the first thing you should do is build a stand!

And then start a levelling thread. :)

chris...
1st December 2010, 07:44 PM
Definitely needs a stand I just pulled it out of the box and put it on the closest stand like thing
Anything sturdy will do? For what I make, aluminium and plastic :), it just needs to work ok
Any cheap alternatives? could I bash one together out of pine or hardwood?

Terry B
2nd December 2010, 12:54 PM
I bought a metal stand with my similar lathe but have found it to be less than satisfactory. It seemed fine but it had too much lateral flex if you leaned against it. The lathe isn't heavy enough to stop it flexing. I have abandoned it and now have the lathe on an old wooden chest of drawers that is much heavier and sturdy. It also has drawers to put stuff in.:D

chris...
2nd December 2010, 03:37 PM
Wood it shall be
I can make up a another work bench

Big Shed
2nd December 2010, 04:09 PM
Wood it shall be
I can make up a another work bench

I made a very sturdy bench out of MDF, basically 3 carcasses joined together , all drawers, been very happy with it.

Made the same setup for my X2 mill, still ruminating whether I will do the same for my new DM45 mill.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/13444-big-shed/albums/metal-work/

chris...
2nd December 2010, 05:10 PM
Can you make me one?
Do you use your lathe? it looks exceptionally clean
One other question, more so for my mill, how should i be lubricating the screw and nut under the table?
Is this crap OK
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=O040

eskimo
2nd December 2010, 05:29 PM
just get some CrC Long life or lanox

jatt
2nd December 2010, 05:36 PM
Reading the H&F writeup, it appears to have a Lanolin base. I use similar stuff on raw metal surfaces like the column, but not on the dovetail ways or table top, as I hear it can build up with several applications. So far, at least, it seems to be doing a good job at keeping the rust at bay.Cant vouch for using it down on the screws. I just used plain old axle grease on those parts.

chris...
2nd December 2010, 06:54 PM
just get some CrC Long life or lanox
Bought from where

Reading the H&F writeup, it appears to have a Lanolin base. I use similar stuff on raw metal surfaces like the column, but not on the dovetail ways or table top, as I hear it can build up with several applications. So far, at least, it seems to be doing a good job at keeping the rust at bay.Cant vouch for using it down on the screws. I just used plain old axle grease on those parts.
ok, may just do the same

Does it matter that I use flood collant on my lathe?

Dave J
3rd December 2010, 12:33 AM
Hi Chris,
Just something to think about with a timber stand is it will slightly grow, warp and twist with weather change.This may not matter if your working right at the chuck or the longer jobs don't need to be dead accurate.

If you want precision I would recommend a steel bench so that you can level the lathe and it will stay that way. You could add timber cabinets underneath inside the steel frame.
As for keeping the rust off I use a 20/80% motor oil/kero mix in a cheap spray bottle and it works great. The kero thins the oil so it can be sprayed and then evaporates leaving a thin film of oil, it also works for screws and tooling and is cheap.

Dave