PDA

View Full Version : APAC Trolley Jack

smokey2
2nd December 2010, 08:32 PM
I appear to be gaining a collection of these and require more info on when specific models were produced.

They are very much a display item. If you are looking to use then buy a compliant Chinese jack. However if it is the one dad bought when doing his apprenticeship then it is another matter. I have rebuilt a couple of them and can give advice to anyone considering doing a rebuild.

Greg Q
4th December 2010, 03:26 PM
Why would you say that? I bought an APAC, and a rebuild kit from a now defunct dealer. Best damned jack I've ever used. The auto store Chinese one is crap in comparison.

smokey2
4th December 2010, 06:28 PM
I agree with you Gregoryq however I am not qualified to give advice on what is required to bring a jack up to current OHS standards. APAC got done a couple of decades ago for using the wrong wording on their jacks by the ACCC or similar organisation and it cost them several tens of thousands of dollars. If someone wants some free advice as to how to pull apart and re-assemble for display purposes only .. well I am only to happy to oblige and may help rescue a faithful tool from the scrap box.

I will not put full details on this forum due to liability issues.

A new Chinese jack will cost less than a professional rebuild for an old APAC and will be AS compliant if sold in Australia.

I have recently acquired a very old trolley jack with an offset pump and APAC motifs on the side. Part of the control valve is missing and I need a photo of a complete one as well as well as what colours to paint it. The jack is probably from the early 1950's.