PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dogs

Roulston
2nd December 2010, 10:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a supplier of some lathe dogs.

I spent the afternoon running from engineering supplier to supplier and most did not even know what they were, one of the better suppliers had none, and couldn't source them.

I remember back in high school, yes the 70's, that dogs were the first thing we made in metal shop. They were a dime a dozen, now I can't find one, other than a set of ebay for $120!

Tony

Gavin Newman
2nd December 2010, 11:43 PM
Tony

I don't know about Canberra, here in Adelaide I picked up a few from the local machinery disposals joint and made a couple of others.

I have been dealing with this guy for some parts and noticed that he has dogs for sale on his website 22mm lathe dog (http://www.australianmetalworkinghobbyist.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=107)

It'd be worth following up with him, he's a nice guy to deal with.

Rgds - Gavin

Dave J
2nd December 2010, 11:45 PM
Hi Tony,
I know what you mean, I just use a piece of flat bar with a hole drilled to suit and a bolt in it.
I did see a couple of sets on ebay from Len. One was a strait set and the other was a bent leg set for $88.

This seller I have dealt with and is good. They do postage in a flat rate box for around $50 so it might end up cheaper for a bigger range and may still have room for other gear. If only we could get prices like theirs over here.
eBay Australia Store: Search results for EZ Accessory. (http://stores.ebay.com.au/EZ-Accessory/_i.html?_nkw=lathe+dog&submit=Search&_sid=37568458)

These are only small but are priced right with postage.
Set of 3 LATHE DOGS - For a myford or similar lathe (eBay item 190474092107 end time 29-Dec-10 21:16:19 AEDST) : Business, Office Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190474092107)

Dave

Roulston
3rd December 2010, 06:49 AM
Thanks all, I went to buy that one from metalworking hobbyist, but by the time I registered it was sold or out of stock.

The EZ accessories were real well priced, by shipping was stupid.

I think I will make some on the forge using some rod, hammering a split in it and forging it open. A simple tapping and setscrew should do it. But damn, when they sell for $5 on EX, I can see a sore arm in future.

Cheers, Tony

Bryan
3rd December 2010, 09:32 PM
Here you go:
TOOL HOLDERS HOLDER METAL LATHE MILLING (eBay item 260698196199 end time 06-Dec-10 19:36:11 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOOL-HOLDERS-HOLDER-METAL-LATHE-MILLING-/260698196199?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cb2d2c8e7)

Doesn't help you find stuff when the seller doesn't know what it's called. :(

Dave J
3rd December 2010, 09:43 PM
Thar seller has been selling stuff for weeks, expect the price to go up as people bid silly on these.
It's a sad to see all that gear the old bloke collected over the years get sold with no family member to use it. The son inlaw is the one selling it all, what a shame.

Dave

YarrD
13th December 2010, 05:36 PM
Tony

I have a shoebox full of lathe dogs that are too big for my Hercus - you are welcome to them - I work in Cbr Monday to Wednesday - live in Captains Flat

Roulston
13th December 2010, 07:12 PM
Tony

I have a shoebox full of lathe dogs that are too big for my Hercus - you are welcome to them - I work in Cbr Monday to Wednesday - live in Captains Flat

YarrD, that is very generous of you and I great appreciate the offer, but I found a set, and while there is no such thing as too many tools, I might be that someone else in dire straits is in grater need.

If not I would be very pleased to take them off your hands.

Regards, Tony

Dave J
13th December 2010, 07:42 PM
I will put my hand up for a couple or more if they are available as I only have home made ones.
I will buy them off you and pay postage if you could post them, no time limit at all just when you have the time.

Dave

Stustoys
13th December 2010, 10:24 PM
I'll put my hand up if you are interested in selling a couple. I dont have any. who knows, maybe one day I will need one lol

Stuart