PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box in jacaranda

Avery
3rd December 2010, 04:28 PM
unfortunately a couple of cracks have marred what I think is a pretty good piece.

wheelinround
3rd December 2010, 06:10 PM
Avery a nice shaped box, I agree with you about the cracks but the line they are in adds to the swirl of the grain effect.

How did you go turning into that end grain the one I did a while back :~ was APIA.

Ray

Nai84
3rd December 2010, 06:20 PM
Hey Avery

Very nice piece and well shaped I agree with Ray love the swirl well done mate :2tsup:

Ian

Avery
3rd December 2010, 09:01 PM
Avery a nice shaped box, I agree with you about the cracks but the line they are in adds to the swirl of the grain effect.

How did you go turning into that end grain the one I did a while back :~ was APIA.

Ray

I had no problems at all Ray.

The timber was pretty old - I believe it has been stored for at least 20 years, possibly 40. There were no cracks apparent when I started.
I used a cheap 10mm bowl gouge for most of it and cleaned up and did the internal corners with a small 3/4 round scraper that I made from a spade bit bought at the local 2$ store.

The only problem, that I have just discovered (how do you pronounce fwit), is that I did not finish the inside of the lid. Now I have to find a way to remount it. BUGGER!

Avery
3rd December 2010, 09:02 PM
Hey Avery

Very nice piece and well shaped I agree with Ray love the swirl well done mate :2tsup:

Ian

Thanks Ian. I really do like turning jacaranda.

wheelinround
3rd December 2010, 09:16 PM
Avery find a piece of cardboard tube the size of the lid knob put in a piece of non slip stuff and mount one end inside the jaws of the chuck. Just nip tighten you could even put in a turned bit to tighten down on. This become like a jam chuck. Make a long wood piece and mount between tail stock and centre of the lid underside this will leave you with just a small amount to finish. Hope it works. I have done similar.:doh:

Avery
3rd December 2010, 10:04 PM
Avery find a piece of cardboard tube the size of the lid knob put in a piece of non slip stuff and mount one end inside the jaws of the chuck. Just nip tighten you could even put in a turned bit to tighten down on. This become like a jam chuck. Make a long wood piece and mount between tail stock and centre of the lid underside this will leave you with just a small amount to finish. Hope it works. I have done similar.:doh:

Thank you for that great advice Ray.

I was going to redo the end of the knob anyway - the little pimple in the middle looks crappy - I can mount that in my Cole jaws, but when I reverse it the knob makes the thing too long to get a grip.

I think that finding ways to safely mount things is a huge part of the fun of wood turning.

Thanks again.

artme
4th December 2010, 07:11 AM
Nice little box Avery!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Some nice grain in the timber>

orificiam
4th December 2010, 07:18 AM
Beautiful Box Avery.congratulations.
Cheers Tony.:)

oldiephred
4th December 2010, 10:10 AM
I like the way you fitted the cover-- shows some good skills:2tsup:

Wizened of Oz
4th December 2010, 11:04 AM
Lovely bit of work, Avery.
The continuity of the grain between base and lid without the obvious piece missing due to parting is impressive. How was that achieved?

Big Mac
4th December 2010, 12:59 PM
great work nice shaped box :2tsup:
Jacaranda is nice to work with.

Avery
4th December 2010, 01:35 PM
Lovely bit of work, Avery.
The continuity of the grain between base and lid without the obvious piece missing due to parting is impressive. How was that achieved?

I mount the blank between centres and turn a tenon for the chuck on each end. I then use the thinnest parting tool I have and part the blank at about 1/3 for the lid 2/3 for the bowl. I finish most of the parting with a saw because the parting tool generates a lot of heat.

I then mount the bowl in the chuck and rough out the shape and hollow the inside. Then cut the seat for the lid. The inside is sanded and finished. I then mount the lid in the chuck and turn what will be the inside of the lid, sand and finish. Using a parting tool I turn down the diameter until it just fits the bowl. This is just trial and error. Turn a bit, test the fit etc.

I then remount the bowl in the chuck , fit the lid and bring up the tailstock to jam the lid against the bowl. The bowl and lid are then shaped together, then sanded and finished. I mount the lid and the bowl in Cole jaws to remove the tenons and finish the top of the lid and the bottom of the bowl.

It is the thin parting tool and saw and shaping the two pieces together that allows the close match of the grain