PDA

View Full Version : gavel

texx
3rd December 2010, 04:36 PM
i finished off a gavel today that i started a week or so back .
its cooktown ironwood . first time i have turned this stuff and i love it .
i was told it would inflict all kinds of evils on me when i turned it , go blind , sneeze for a week , break out in a rash ,and so on , but i had no side affects at all bar a little bit of sneezing .
i had a small fan blowing the dust away from me ( and over everything else )as i sanded .
this was fun to make , i am enjoying turning other things for a break from pens .
i gotta get onto the guy i got this bit of wood from and see if i can get a good size chunk from him .
oh yeah the head of the gavel is 115 long and 50 dia , the handle is 250 long and 25 at the widest point , the sounding block is 140 dia 30 thick .
i made the hand grip part of the handle a slight oval it is much nicer to hold than round and also when you pick it up you dont need to look to see which way the head is it automatically fits your hand correctly orientated ..
sanded it to 400 grit then 0000 steel wool and it came up like glass ,then i just gave it a good coat of my wax block ( wish i knew what it is exactly , i bought it from the gap wood turning supplies in the 70s , i think its canubra and bee's wax mixed , anyway its good stuff ).
might get started on another gavel maybe river red gum or ironbark .

Willy Nelson
4th December 2010, 10:11 AM
Hello Texx
I reckon you have done a great job on that. Nice touch making the handle oval shaped, I haven't thought of that before. I guess being ironwood, it is a tough timber
Cheers
Willy

Ironwood
4th December 2010, 11:17 AM
Nice work Tex :2tsup:

Gotta love that Cooktown Ironwood, it's nice stuff isn't it.
Comes up with a high gloss just from burnishing it.

artme
4th December 2010, 09:40 PM
Very nicely done there Tex!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

rsser
5th December 2010, 10:26 AM
Nice work.

TTIT
5th December 2010, 09:03 PM
Looks good Texx :2tsup: Going to an officiary or Texx's new nutcracker?????