PDA

View Full Version : Lathe purchase

cookie48
4th December 2010, 08:48 PM
I am new to wood turning and currently have a Carbatec1000 lathe. It is now really not the lathe I need. As I will be turning long objects ( walking sticks) I really need a long bed lathe that can handle this type of turning. Thinking of either the new Vicmarc 200ecm or Woodfast C1000. Can anyone please assist in making up my mind for me.
Thanks

issatree
4th December 2010, 09:03 PM
Hi Cookie48,
It would be the Vicmarc for me. Have you got the ECM right. Do you mean the Variable or just the Belt Changing Type. The Variable would most certainly be the go for doing Walking Sticks. I'm not a lover of the Woodfast, but that's just me.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Big Shed
4th December 2010, 09:06 PM
You might want to consider adding the Hare & Forbes WL-46 to your shortlist.

Electronic variable speed in 2 ranges, 0-1200 and 0-3200 (realistically more like 100-1200 and 100-3200), 47" (1190mm) between centres, 18" (450mm) swing. A very solid and extremely smooth and quiet machine.

I upgraded to this machine from an MC900, have never regretted it.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/changing-guard-115302/

Several members here have one, as well as several members in the US/Canada.

At around $1600 it is good value.

Terry B
4th December 2010, 09:26 PM
Would this be long enough?:D:D:D
Wood Lathe Large custom built by engineer 240 volt (eBay item 140483656888 end time 08-Dec-10 15:02:24 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wood-Lathe-Large-custom-built-engineer-240-volt-/140483656888?pt=AU_Hardware&hash=item20b57a7cb8)

cookie48
4th December 2010, 10:04 PM
Terry B. It is big enough for sure. But I live in a country town outside Adelaide. Too far away sorry

cookie48
4th December 2010, 10:05 PM
issatree. Thanks for your input.

cookie48
4th December 2010, 10:07 PM
Big Shed. I have looked at your input and will certainly consider this lathe. Price might win out yet, and that will make my sechetary ( yep spelt right) very happy.

Ozkaban
5th December 2010, 01:52 PM
I have a ~20 yo Vicmarc VL200 belt change. Beautiful lathe - dead quiet and smooth running and bang on accuracy. Highly recommended. I'd love electronic variable speed, but budget didn't stretch that far. For walking sticks I'd say you'd be mostly turning the one speed so don't desperately need it, but will probably regret it if you don't :rolleyes:

Dunno about Woodfast. Have head good things, but I've never used one.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
5th December 2010, 01:54 PM
Forgot to add. The VL200 has 1m turning capcity. My old MC1100 had 1.1m capacity (apparently). The VL200 has a longer distance between centres though :rolleyes: Chinese centimetres must be from the same factory as chinese Horse Power :U

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
5th December 2010, 02:10 PM
Chinese HP = hampster power acc to Andy Mac :D

cookie48
5th December 2010, 02:24 PM
I have a ~20 yo Vicmarc VL200 belt change. Beautiful lathe - dead quiet and smooth running and bang on accuracy. Highly recommended. I'd love electronic variable speed, but budget didn't stretch that far. For walking sticks I'd say you'd be mostly turning the one speed so don't desperately need it, but will probably regret it if you don't :rolleyes:

Dunno about Woodfast. Have head good things, but I've never used one.

Cheers,
Dave
Ozkaban. Thanks for your input. Even though the price is high I am still considering the Vicmarc. If there is one thing I have learnt in a short time is the price counts. In other words you get what you pay for.

rsser
5th December 2010, 02:51 PM
+1 for Vicmarc.

I've gone back to the VL175; had one before. The new one is much improved and is a pleasure to use. Everything works as it should.

As a mostly faceplate turner I'd love to see another 2cm or so centre height but that's a quibble.

That said, Big Shed is happy with his H&F and other forum members are getting good mileage out of their Woodfasts.

wm460
5th December 2010, 06:17 PM
+2 for Vicmarc VL300 with 1000mm extension.
There is no comparison to my old Sherwood lathe my only regret I didn't get Vicky earlier.

bobsreturn2003
5th December 2010, 07:52 PM
Ihave a woodfast and have found it just as good as the vicmarc i have as well . Found the early vl175 lacked power so put 2hp on it [not easy ] transformed it . If you have a tame sparky its not that hard to convert to elv speed . walking sticks should be easily turned on any quality lathe . cheers Bob

NeilS
9th December 2010, 10:31 AM
I'm happy with my Woodfast CX1000, and living near Adelaide you could pick up the lathe yourself from Woodfast if you have a suitable trailer. The after sales service from the chaps at Woodfast is v. good, although I have had little need to call on them over the decades I've been using Woodfasts.

I haven't found any drop in quality myself since Woodfast started manufacturing in China, having owned both pre and post-China models.

Having said that, I'm sure I would be equally happy with Vicmarc.