PDA

View Full Version : Detecting glue before staining

1oldduck
5th December 2010, 06:48 AM
How can I detect glue on joinery before I stain? I have heard that wiping varsol on the project will show if there is aany glue remnants left that will show up when I stain, is this true. Please help me out, I don't want to destroy all the work that I have doone. Thanks.

munruben
5th December 2010, 07:09 AM
Will be interesting to hear the advice for this problem. I always try to keep glue squeeze out to a minimum and wipe the surface of the timber with whatever solvent works with the glue. I think maybe Varsol will work in a similar fashion being a paint thinner and will actually remove traces of glue from the timber if you apply it before the glue sets hard and becomes difficult to remove. If that is the case, of course, it wont work with a glue that is water solvent, you would need to use water.

I have found that applying a coat or two of shellac before glue up (allow to dry of course) prevents glue from absorbing into the timber and the surface glue is much easier to clean up after. The big problem allowing glue to absorb into the timber is trying to remove it after which can prove to be quite difficult. Coating the project with shellac prior to staining will effect the outcome of your stain which will tend to be a shade or two lighter than if you stain directly onto the timber. I always make allowance for this and usually choose a darker stain to combat that issue. Alternatively you can apply more coats of stain to darken it.

You will find that by applying Shellac to the timber prior to staining, the stain will not blotch as much as it usually does, particularly on Pine which soaks up stain and causes a blotchy finish.

I am sure others will offer better advice but that's my two bobs worth.

Claw Hama
5th December 2010, 07:54 AM
Hmm might run a few little test myself, this has been pis%$&g me off lately too. You think you have got rid of everything only to have it turn up again when and where you least expect it.

Oh and welcome to the forum 1od. Great first choice for a topic.

jmk89
5th December 2010, 08:09 AM
To see if you have any glue squeeze out to worry about, if you use hide glue, shining a UV light will show you (because there is protein in the glue). How's that for an intersect between traditional and modern technologies

Claw Hama
5th December 2010, 09:21 AM
CSI Linfield, I bet you're good looking to Jeremy:D

Lignum
5th December 2010, 10:48 AM
I give mine a quick wipe with metho. That does the trick.

Woodwould
5th December 2010, 11:08 AM
Water or meths works for me. Also, a sweaty palm wiped across the surface will 'grab' where there's animal glue.

Harry72
5th December 2010, 11:16 AM
Wet rag is all I've ever used.

Woodwould
5th December 2010, 11:21 AM
I should have said, I work only with animal glue and I religiously wipe all furniture down with very hot water before proceeding with any finishing. It removes any residual glue and finger prints etc.

Arron
8th December 2010, 03:40 PM
I have found white spirits the best for pva type glues. Any little patches of pva will be darkened and very obvious.
Meths and turps are of some use if no white spirits is handy.

cheers
Arron