PDA

View Full Version : Schaublin lathe

Bryan
6th December 2010, 08:00 AM
Haha.... Don't worry, you definitely aren't alone on that one. I think this forum is full of people who have succumbed to machine lust... Personally, I'm most after a lathe at the moment, but plenty of other machines could tempt me at any given moment!

Here's one to get your juices going: SCHAUBLIN 120VM HIGH PRECISION TOOL ROOM LATHE (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170575419823&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT) :tongue5:

Where does he find this stuff? And how could you sell it? And what's up with the steering wheel? So many questions. Anyone want to take a stab at a closing price? I wouldn't have a clue but just for fun I'll say 7.

snowyskiesau
6th December 2010, 08:45 AM
Nice!
The same seller also has a Hercus CNC lathe for sale.
I wouldn't mind either - or both.

It will be interesting to check back in 6 days and see what the prices are.

Stustoys
6th December 2010, 09:44 AM
The steering wheel is a mechanical variable speed. Notice the way the carriage goes under the bed as well.(there is a better picture of it from his link). I'd say you will get heaps of change from your 7k. I'm going with $4.5k. I like the covers on the ways but its cack handed :wink:

Dave J
6th December 2010, 02:15 PM
I'm in and think it will go for around $6000 or more. It's not something that comes up every day.
Like you Bryan, I would like to know where he gets them from, he just seems to get one machine after the another, and their all the one's that are highly sought after.

Dave

Jekyll and Hyde
6th December 2010, 06:38 PM
Nice looking machine, but it has 2 things that put it off my shopping list :D

I'd prefer about 1000 centres, and it has a name which equates to a price tag well outside the current.... "budget". Lol.

I'd love to know where he finds this stuff too (actually there are a couple of sellers on Ebay I'd like to know where they get everything from!)

Metalman
6th December 2010, 08:07 PM
I think I can answer your Question as to where the lathes came from. On the 24th of Nov. there was an auction of a large amount of good gear, including a Schaublin VM120 and a Hercus, at Pickles Auctions in Chipping Norton, south west Sydney. Pickles sell off ex government dept stuff and these came from the Engineering workshops of the University of Western Sydney at Kingswood. All of the trades people went at the end of last year. I do not know what condition the machines are in or how much they sold for as I did not go to the auction, however if anyone here purchases one of these machines I may be able to help with further info.
Mm.

RayG
6th December 2010, 08:35 PM
Very nice looking machine, pity it's in Sydney... too far away for me.

In the pictures on the ebay listing, several things that don't make sense, for example what is this CNC attachment? I suspect it's the wrong picture for the machine..

http://www.backsaw.net/pics/whatisthis.jpg

Maybe it's off the CNC machine that he has for sale? Any ideas?

Regards
Ray

Bryan
6th December 2010, 09:15 PM
Tool changer?

pipeclay
6th December 2010, 09:23 PM
As Bryan has said and you have not noticed,it is the Indexable Carousel without the cover,if you still feel it is not part of the little machine send the seller a question and ask him to list the question on the add.
There maybe other people who think it shouldnt be there or is off another machine as well.

snowyskiesau
6th December 2010, 09:41 PM
The last 2 photos on the Schaublin listing appear to be from the Hercus CNC listing.

RayG
6th December 2010, 10:27 PM
As Bryan has said and you have not noticed,it is the Indexable Carousel without the cover,if you still feel it is not part of the little machine send the seller a question and ask him to list the question on the add.
There maybe other people who think it shouldnt be there or is off another machine as well.

Huh? Show me where Bryan said the Schaublin came with an indexable carousel?

If you look at the CNC Hercus PC200, listing it's obvious he has mixed the pictures up.

CNC LATHE HERCUS PC200 (eBay item 170575422485 end time 12-Dec-10 20:15:29 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CNC-LATHE-HERCUS-PC200-/170575422485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27b7166415)

Regards
Ray

Bryan
7th December 2010, 08:53 AM
Sorry I didn't read the question properly.

Greg Q
8th December 2010, 01:22 PM
For what it;'s worth that Schaublin sold at the Pickles auction for $3000 plus buyer's premium-say around $ 3500 all up plus moving costs. There was a ratty 102 VM on ebay last year that sold for under $3K

The University did itself no favours. They had no one with experience to put the missing bits with their matching machines and hence got lower prices that they should have.

Metalman
8th December 2010, 09:46 PM
Gregoryq, the University does not care, to them these things are liabilities to be got rid off. If they kept these machines they have to maintain and secure them and employ people to operate them. Getting experienced and qualified trades people with a PHD to work in far western Sydney for mediocre trades wages is difficult so they take the easy way out. I could say more but had better not.

Thanks for the info on the auction price, Anorak Bob and I considered the Schaublin lathe as we both have Schaublin mills, Bob is in W.A. so transport was his issue and I have a partially restored Chipmaster which is not as good as the Schaublin but is more versatile and more suited to the type of work I do. Mm.

Greg Q
8th December 2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I know. In many ways making a good return is probably more of a problem for them. A pittance can be seen as justification for closing the program. The Aciera F-1 supposedly was fully equipped, but no one could find (or could be bothered probably) to find those attachments. They'll probably end up in the tip.

The Schaublin 102 kind of interests me, but I already have a nifty European lathe of that size and quality. It also has a QC gearbox which the 102 never did.

The Pickles auction also had a Weiler LZ330 which I would have liked-it went for $4600 total, no tooling unless there was some behind the doors

Greg

eskimo
12th December 2010, 07:51 PM
approx 10 minutes to go ...at $3550.00

what is realistic price Versus AL960

Greg Q
12th December 2010, 08:08 PM
More then the $4160 it sold for. On the other hand, no accessories. Buying them on the used market will be a sobering experience for the new owner. By coincidence there was a posting on one of the forums directing people to the Schaublin Yahoo group. A member there is listing a bunch of 102 parts.

Greg

Stustoys
12th December 2010, 09:11 PM
$4161.. doesnt that mean I win?
Whats my prize? hehe

Stuart

Gavin Newman
12th December 2010, 09:18 PM
Whats my prize?A sheep dog. Do you want it wrapped or will you take it with you?

Anorak Bob
12th December 2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for that Gregory.

I better have a look. I need some W20 collets.

Bob.

Bryan
12th December 2010, 09:48 PM
$4161.. doesnt that mean I win?
Whats my prize? hehe

Stuart

Cred. :cool:

Stustoys
12th December 2010, 10:15 PM
:( don't have room for another dog.
I'll have to take the cred lol

Metalman
13th December 2010, 09:18 PM
For those who bought items from the Pickles auction or later on E-bay the University will be selling some of the remaining items on E-bay in the future. I do not as yet know the sellers name that they will using but it will probably be obvious from the vague item descriptions. Sorry I do not know what will be sold or even what is left over. Mm.

Greg Q
13th December 2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks Metalman.

Hunch
14th December 2010, 09:26 AM
Unusual way for a government entity to dispose of items - and going to be a sure fire exercise in frustration unless there's some technical nous in describing the goods, suppose I should bookmark thingamajigs on ebay now!