PDA

View Full Version : screen door colour change

peter byrne
7th November 2004, 08:56 PM
I have some very good quality screen doors which are powder coated or anodised brown. The plan is to make them go white. I have the feeling this is going to be trickier or more expensive than I would like.

I would be interested in the experiences of others.

regards
from Perth
Peter B

journeyman Mick
7th November 2004, 09:14 PM
Peter,
I think (but I'm not positive) that etch primer should take care of the anodised finish. Powder coat is near impossible to paint succesfully.

Mick

bitingmidge
7th November 2004, 09:21 PM
Why not just take them down to a powder coater and have the deed done?

P

TSHSR
7th November 2004, 09:38 PM
Peter,

First determine if they are powder coated or anodised. PC can be chipped or scraped off. If it is anodised it will just scratch to bright aluminium.
If anodised best finish is to get them powder coated, generally about $60 - 70 per door. You can etch and them spray with an epoxy enamel, bugger of a job though.

Before you PC them pull one corner apart and check that the internal corner stakes are aluminium, if they are plastic you will have to replace them with aluminium.
If they are already powdercoated, they may require sandblasting before recoating depending on how bad the PC currently is. If this is the case it is often cheaper to get new doors.

ChrisH
7th November 2004, 11:38 PM
a few years ago I had a steel screen door sandblasted and re-powdercoated. It was black, made it white. I can't remember the cost but it was way less than the cost of a new door.

Chris

peter byrne
8th November 2004, 12:43 AM
Thank you all for your rapid responses. You have given me good starting points. I appreciate that

regards
Peter B

PaulT
8th November 2004, 10:16 PM
On the same (or similar) line, a steel pool fence that needs repainting. Currently PC, do the same comments apply in the case of steel?

PaulT

seriph1
8th November 2004, 10:46 PM
I believe powder coating will go over both powder coated and anodised surfaces - WOODS powder coating in Melbourne did numerous of my car parts which were anodised and chair componenets which were raw. They changed the colour of 4 chairs from black to red in a day, so it may be very easy

peter byrne
17th November 2004, 12:01 PM
Taking the advice I received I took the three doors and a box full of window hardware to a powder coating company. All done beautifully for a total of $90 incl GST with a one day turnaround. Such value for money!

regards
Peter B

seriph1
17th November 2004, 12:44 PM
aint life ..... and powder coating.....grand?

:D:D:D:D:D