PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Cutter 25 ft 'Stranger'

Hallam
7th December 2010, 03:22 PM
Here is a little ripper....bit of work I'd imagine and it would be wise to have her checked out if you where serious.

Wooden Cutter 25 ft (eBay item 250736809668 end time 13-Dec-10 22:09:55 AEDST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wooden-Cutter-25-ft-/250736809668?pt=AU_Boats&hash=item3a611416c4#ht_1176wt_1141)

HaroldS
7th December 2010, 09:56 PM
Don't you just love how they tell you that this is a "No Reserve" auction and then start the bidding at $4000 ..... to me that looks like a reserve.

Hallam
8th December 2010, 09:23 AM
Don't you just love how they tell you that this is a "No Reserve" auction and then start the bidding at $4000 ..... to me that looks like a reserve.

I bet it doesn't sell at that price as not many could arrange an inspection to see what you are really getting. The hull shape looks like she would sail pretty well. Someone should make a move after the auction.

Hallam
5th April 2011, 10:08 AM
Stranger is up on eBay again, this time with a price tag of $3200
By the way, i have no connection with the boat. It would be a great shame for this one to be allowed to deteriorate.

dopeydriver
5th April 2011, 08:05 PM
There is a lot to like about the old girl , if you were up to the rebuild , she could be a nice little fishing boat .
I'd have to get someone to do the work for me , and then it gets pricey .
Yes , I reckon she could sail a bit too.
Rob J.

dopeydriver
6th April 2011, 08:34 PM
Hallam , I've just been talking to Garry Stewart at Port Fairy.
He has a book which features this boat , on the slip at Port Lincoln in '36 .
He says she was a very smart looking boat , set up to sail , built for a Mr Fuss.
The Macfarlanes built a lot of this style of boat , and they were very good .
Regards Rob J.

dopeydriver
6th April 2011, 08:47 PM
Hallam , have you read Garry Kerr's " Craft and Craftsmen of Australian Fishing "?.
Lots on Stenross , and Macfarlanes.
Regards Rob J.

dopeydriver
10th April 2011, 08:31 PM
Wooden Fishing Boats by Gifford Chapman is Garry's reference , and here is "Stranger" on the slip.
Notice she had no engine , when launched.
Gee , that book was depressing after a while , just hundreds of boats , and fishermen lost in SA , over the years.
The book of course includes the Stenross boats too.
Rob J.

Hallam
10th May 2011, 12:59 PM
Hallam , have you read Garry Kerr's " Craft and Craftsmen of Australian Fishing "?.
Lots on Stenross , and Macfarlanes.
Regards Rob J.

Thanks Rob, I will have to get both Garry Kerr and the Chapman books. When doing research for Adria i was sent some great info and copies of photos from the Stenross museum.

dopeydriver
10th May 2011, 01:27 PM
Hallam , I was searching for something else a day or 2 ago , and saw that there was one of the Chapman books for sale.
Might be worth a search.
Regards Rob J.

Hallam
11th May 2011, 11:02 AM
Wooden Fishing Boats by Gifford Chapman is Garry's reference , and here is "Stranger" on the slip.
Notice she had no engine , when launched.
Gee , that book was depressing after a while , just hundreds of boats , and fishermen lost in SA , over the years.
The book of course includes the Stenross boats too.
Rob J.

Here is an interesting find re Stranger. There are some pics and details of stranger on this web page of a Uriversity Thesis student:

http://www.flinders.edu.au/ehl/fms/archaeology_files/dig_library/theses/DebSheffi2006.pdf

Of course there are probably a few boats built with the same name but the boat looks the same as in your pic, especialy if you look at how the name is written. However the builder
is stated as W.T. Habert in in 1884and the L 41.1'

dopeydriver
11th May 2011, 02:07 PM
Obviously a much earlier boat.
I see the Stranger for sale didn't draw a bid.
Regards Rob J.