PDA

View Full Version : Flooring

jasonbrisbane
8th November 2004, 01:04 AM
Hi,i have just moved into a new house and have just joined this forum.The flooring i have is carpet over particleboard in the bedrooms/lounge dining and lino in the kitchen.I hate carpet and am looking for a hard wearing alternative.Im hoping someone here can give me some ideas.I have been reading some of the threads and it seems you cant tile directly onto particleboard?can you tile over lino that is covering particleboard?I would love tiles how could i do this?What about some kind of wood flooring that i can put over the top of the particleboard?Any ideas/help appreciated.

johnmc
8th November 2004, 10:06 AM
Rip up the lino and lay some fibre-cement tile underlay sheeting. These are simply nailed to the particleboard. I think they're about 6mm thick sheets. You can then tile directly over the sheeting.

As for laying wood flooring, probably the easiest solution is to use a floating floor product. These floors are layed on a rubber? underlay and the boards click lock together. They are often pre-finished so no sanding and varnishing.

johnmc
8th November 2004, 10:26 AM
Rip up the lino and lay some fibre-cement tile underlay sheeting. These are simply nailed to the particleboard. I think they're about 6mm thick sheets. You can then tile directly over the sheeting.

As for laying wood flooring, probably the easiest solution is to use a floating floor product. These floors are layed on a rubber? underlay and the boards click lock together. They are often pre-finished so no sanding and varnishing.

seriph1
8th November 2004, 10:40 PM
welcome to the forum! You will find folks here very knowledgeable and helpful!

Being in Brissy I would think tiles would be a good alternative and hard weraing - if you have some pics of the space you want to change that would help. You may be able to apply some form of tile adheasive directly to particleboard flooring but I am uncertain - grab your local paper and call some tilers and ask them....or a tile shop.

Just a hint - I used Cement Eaves Sheeting for the floor of a home I owned - it is the same formulation but thinner than usual .... it is all still well and truly intact after 15yrs - and was a lot cheaper and easier to cary, not being in 1200X2400 sheets.

most wood-look flooring is hard wearing and relatively easy to lay ...... the SECOND TIME! .... Like anything, there are tricks of the trade to doing it right. the underlay mentioned is a sheet polyethylene foam or similar - I find it makes me feel like my footing isnt too sure..... but I am sure it would be fine too ..... I just can't help thinking a gorgeous 60CM x 60CM tile would be brilliant, durable and cool underfoot

Cheers - and have fun!

namtrak
9th November 2004, 07:30 AM
I would probably run with the tiles, if you are going to lay them yourself - make sure you have ALL your preparation work done thoroughly, in particular the setting out.

If you run with a floating timber floor, which can look superb, just make sure there is no water going onto the boards (they can buckle quite horrendously).

I have seen a timber floor laid recently, which was a 10 inch wide (but less than half inch thick) boards of Box, which were glued onto the board, then sanded and finished. They looked pretty spectacular.

seriph1
9th November 2004, 07:34 AM
WOW - now I'd love to see a pic of that! I can't get enough of wide boards!

namtrak
9th November 2004, 09:42 AM
WOW - now I'd love to see a pic of that! I can't get enough of wide boards!

No can do. It was a client, where I was do some landscaping work - I think they'd be a bit worried if I rolled up with the digi in tow....

macca2
18th November 2004, 12:32 PM
I also am interestedin replacing a floor, but mine is a cracked tile floor in the kitchen which extends into the laundry in one direction and the family room and hall in the other.
My question is....is there a wood like floor that would be suitable in this situation given the traffic and the dampness from the kitchen and laundry.
When I asked the sales person I get the usual "not a problem sir" but I need to know from those of you who are in the trade or at least in the know from experience.

Thanks Macca

slats
20th November 2004, 12:44 PM
Hi,i have just moved into a new house and have just joined this forum.The flooring i have is carpet over particleboard in the bedrooms/lounge dining and lino in the kitchen.I hate carpet and am looking for a hard wearing alternative.Im hoping someone here can give me some ideas.I have been reading some of the threads and it seems you cant tile directly onto particleboard?can you tile over lino that is covering particleboard?I would love tiles how could i do this?What about some kind of wood flooring that i can put over the top of the particleboard?Any ideas/help appreciated.Hi try some bamboo flooring Ican supply you .The flooring i have is 40 percent harder than jarrah.this is direct stick 96 wide 15 thick 1830 long

nik
20th November 2004, 07:33 PM
oi macca, i just posted some info on moisture proof floating flooring just a few minutes ago in another thread, do a search for Parador to find the thread, and it's called Floating floors for basements. But as for you jason i'd have to agree with the tiles, even though floating floors look good, you can't beat a good tile.

conwood
16th December 2004, 11:18 AM
Hi Jason,
I have lots of work in Brisbane on Qld'rs. If you are going to use that fibro stuff to lay tiles on, 6mm as suggested may not be good enough. Homes on stumps really move around with weather conditions. Go for something thicker. Just a little flexing wil effect grout and may chip tiles.

Cheers,
Conwood

Marc
20th December 2004, 10:18 PM
Tiles on particleboard.
Hum.
Yes it can be done, but... that must be qualified, with a "depends on the condition of the existing floor".

Timber moves and tiles crack.

Somehow a floating timber floor may be the better alternative short of cutting the particleboard out and replacing it with floorboards.