PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Object

Metalman
7th December 2010, 10:04 PM
Mystery Object
I have recently acquired the pictured device and would like to know more about it, the name plate has the following text:

“ACE”
PNEUMATIC UNIT
FOR USE ON DRILLING & MILLING MACHINES, RIVETING, ETC.
Manufactured under licence by
EMMCO PTY. LTD.
A UNIT OF “EMAIL”
Patent No.162239, Application No. 34688/58

It appears to be some sort of device which fits into a drill or mill and uses a tool for making vertical slots. Does anyone have any experience with this type of unit?
All assistance appreciated, Mm.

(This is the first time I have tried to upload pictures so please understand if it goes pear shaped)

RayG
7th December 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi MetalMan,

Acccording to the patent, it's a "Fluid pressure feed system"

So I guess it's a pneumatic feed for a drill press or mill. I can't get the full patent for some reason, but it's pre 1970. Nowadays it would be a CNC Z axis quill feed

Email made Westinghouse and Kelvinator washing machines and domestic appliances as well as electricity meters, also petrol bowser control systems.

Does that shaft at the bottom have a morse taper?

Regards
Ray

Claw Hama
7th December 2010, 11:58 PM
Looks like an actuator or plunger that must have extended the drill, it also has a micro switch/valve on the side for depth adjustment. Its not dissimilar to some of the old ones used on air conditioning and ventilation dampers in the 50s.

calala
8th December 2010, 05:59 AM
Hi people, looks more like a hydraulic pump to me that is driven by a drill or mill, hence all the hydraulic hose fitting on its side.:doh:

Metalman
8th December 2010, 01:22 PM
Hello all,
a bit more information: the shaft is parallel and .718" dia. with a 1/2" unf female thread which goes in a fair way. There is therefore not a great deal of material to clamp anything to the outside with adequate strength. Whatever tooling etc. is operated it would appear to be mounted by the thread. There is a screw near the bottom of the body which fits into a key-way in the previously described shaft.
The body of the unit is a bronze casting so there might be value in the scrap if I cannot find out its use or if it is stuffed.

Ray, I did an apprenticeship with Email in the late 60's-early 70's. Retrenched in '74 and again in '99 after Email took over the company I was working for at the time. Not my favorite company.
Mm.