PDA

View Full Version : Logs N a Bowl

Little Festo
9th December 2010, 03:45 PM
A few images of my timber gathering/gifts the last few months.

1. A large Camphor laurel log. I thought that this yield boring light wood but it was a lovley honey gold with lots of figure.
2. Logs keep "turning" up at my gate. These are some big silky oaks.
3. Some of the silky oak sliced down the centre, also some black wattle and bloodwood that also spontainiously appeared. There Must be a friendly Leprechan lurking about somewhere. Actually it's my friend Cyrel, a local firewood merchant.
4. Some more Camphor Laurel - very different from the big log in the earlier photo.
5. A Camphor Laurel Natural Edge Bowl. Approx 305mm X 180mm. Wall thickness approx 5mm.
6. Norfolk Island Pine Translucent form. Approx 200mm X 200mm. Walls are approx 3mm. This translucent glows in normal room light.
7. Australian White Beech fluted bowl. Only one coat of oil but will get another 2-3. Size 290mm X 80mm.

I've been busy the last few weeks and have heaps to do.

Hope the woodturning gods look down on us all - happy turning.

Peter

wheelinround
9th December 2010, 06:27 PM
Peter good score on the wood :2tsup:

Love the Norfolk Pine its amazing how thin it will turn especially green the spalting makes it look like flames.

The fluted bowl I am really interested in your method of producing the flutes.:roll: I do like the shape and out come.:2tsup::2tsup:

Tony Morton
9th December 2010, 08:53 PM
Hi Peter
Nice haul of timber love the translucent bowls just looked at them on the WOW site. I've had a good timber haul but it cost Dollars Enough red cedar for six lazy sue-sans some with a very shimmering light in the grain and this morning I picked up from the transport co 3 eight foot slabs of black heart sassafras as a result of my recent trip to Tassie.

Cheers Tony

Nai84
9th December 2010, 09:48 PM
Wow that is fantastic work I also like that fluted bowl and the camphor how offten do you come arcoss that :2tsup:

Ian

TTIT
9th December 2010, 11:11 PM
Geeez lifes tough Pete! :; Love the carved bowl - reckon you've hit the right pattern on that one :2tsup:

munruben
10th December 2010, 07:15 AM
Great work, I like the Norfolk Pine, looks terrific.:2tsup:

rsser
10th December 2010, 08:16 AM
Great scores Peter.

Did you soak the NIP in oil?

Little Festo
10th December 2010, 09:54 AM
Great scores Peter.

Did you soak the NIP in oil?

Yes, Ern, several times and sanded back after each dunking.

We have some great camphor around this area and a fair bit of it too. It works really well. A fellow just met me at my gate this morning offering some mango, just large branches though.

The fluted bowls are a quite labor intensive, lots of hand sanding to get the flow of the flute. The flutes are marked out using indexing, then I draw them in by hand then carved out with a arbortech then sanded smooth with a drum sander - then the "much enjoyed" hand sanding, a time for contemplation. The pieces were oiled last night and were wet sanded as well. They are gallery bound and the guy that runs the gallery wants them well finished.

Any one here used swamp mahogany??? Just picked up a log of that the other day. Looks good. pinkish red with yellow sapwood. I have heard that the dust is a bit toxic.

Tony will be seeing you at turnfest next year???

Thanks for all of the comments. I don't get a lot of time to visit the forum regularly but it's nice to get some feedback from turners on how I'm going.

The offer is still there for forum members, if they say hell to me at the Satuarday Eumundi markets I'll shout them a coffee.

Peter

WOODbTURNER
10th December 2010, 10:56 AM
Peter,

How's my little brother going as the family up here have been asking about you. Your work looks great as usual. Peter are you taking a few of the logs to David's next year as I reckon the ones next to you will just fit in our bags.
Just letting you know that iMac has been evicted out of his shed and we are in the process of moving stuff to a new shed across the road.

Jeff

Alastair
10th December 2010, 12:07 PM
Yes, Ern, several times and sanded back after each dunking.

We have some great camphor around this area and a fair bit of it too. It works really well. A fellow just met me at my gate this morning offering some mango, just large branches though.

The fluted bowls are a quite labor intensive, lots of hand sanding to get the flow of the flute. The flutes are marked out using indexing, then I draw them in by hand then carved out with a arbortech then sanded smooth with a drum sander - then the "much enjoyed" hand sanding, a time for contemplation. The pieces were oiled last night and were wet sanded as well. They are gallery bound and the guy that runs the gallery wants them well finished.

Any one here used swamp mahogany??? Just picked up a log of that the other day. Looks good. pinkish red with yellow sapwood. I have heard that the dust is a bit toxic.

Tony will be seeing you at turnfest next year???

Thanks for all of the comments. I don't get a lot of time to visit the forum regularly but it's nice to get some feedback from turners on how I'm going.

The offer is still there for forum members, if they say hell to me at the Satuarday Eumundi markets I'll shout them a coffee.

Peter

Nice work Peter!

I have used SM a little, and did not find any particular problems. However I am not particularly susceptible to any of the "usual suspects". The only ony I am VERY careful with is Mackay Cedar. Headaches, sinus, shortness of breath, stomach ache, and a severe episode of nose-bleeds.

regards

Little Festo
10th December 2010, 01:16 PM
Peter,

How's my little brother going as the family up here have been asking about you. Your work looks great as usual. Peter are you taking a few of the logs to David's next year as I reckon the ones next to you will just fit in our bags.
Just letting you know that iMac has been evicted out of his shed and we are in the process of moving stuff to a new shed across the road.

Jeff

Yes would like to swop the log for a similar Gmelina one. Could you bring one down and Ian also :U:U:U:U.

Saw our foster dad Enzo the other week, He had an open day.

Sorry to hear that Ian has to move. I'll have to visit to see what the new shed/workshop looks like so I can visualise having one of his coffees and biccies. Hope he's fit and well.

Be seeing you, Trevor and Ian at Turnfest???

Peter

Little Festo
10th December 2010, 01:24 PM
Nice work Peter!

I have used SM a little, and did not find any particular problems. However I am not particularly susceptible to any of the "usual suspects". The only ony I am VERY careful with is Mackay Cedar. Headaches, sinus, shortness of breath, stomach ache, and a severe episode of nose-bleeds.

regards

Well that's no fun. I recently turned a very large Camphor Laurel natural edge bowl. The timber was a bit green and after the hollowing I definatly felt a little light headed, very "strong scent", also even though I was wearing glasses/eye protection I got some "Camphor Spray" in my eyes, stings a bit.

The swamp Mahog is very wet so I will rough it and maybe turn a few thin wet ones. I have a center saver so will definatly save a few centers, very pretty wood.

Just looked at the mango tree, huge. Looks like I won't get the trunk but the branches are quite big 300mm+ with a few crotches.

Off to the shed to do some roughing.

Peter

wheelinround
10th December 2010, 01:40 PM
Peter I do believe you have said about the flute making with Arbortec before :doh:

If I had the room and $$$$ I'd like one of these for production style turning. I guess as thats not going to happen I'll make my own set up one day.:roll:

dai sensei
10th December 2010, 10:21 PM
Great looking timber and work Peter :2tsup:

Any one here used swamp mahogany???

Not sure if it is the same Swamp Mahogany as we get down here (Eucalyptus robusta), but I have worked some really really old stuff and it was really good, a deep dark maroon (see a small bowl here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/1-out-2-ok-39044/)). Most of the younger trees are more a pink to red brown.

See you at Turnfest :wink: