PDA

View Full Version : local trees

Nai84
10th December 2010, 06:06 PM
Hey everyone

I have a question dose anyone know what local trees of Rockingham/Baldivis are good for turning as they have just cut down a heap of trees to make way for a new road so I was wondering if any knows which ones a good or were I can go online to find out I have some pics of the one I took some from the other day :D

Ian
(pic will be loaded via moblie asap)

orraloon
10th December 2010, 10:34 PM
I cant help with local woods as I am on the other side of the country but free wood is free so have a try. Since I have been on this site I have seen almost every wood there is turned and some other things as well.
Regards
John

Nai84
10th December 2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks John I will give anything ago only if I had a chain saw to make things easy :2tsup:

Ian

BlackbuttWA
11th December 2010, 09:43 PM
Why don't you give yourself a treat & come spend an evening at the Mandurah Woodturners.
The guys there are very friendly & their knowledge of local timbers is extensive.
I would be surprised if one of them don't know what species they are.

Look forward to seeing you there. You never know you might bump into HazzaB :)

Cheers
Col

brendan stemp
12th December 2010, 09:35 AM
Suck and see! What can go wrong?

Ed Reiss
12th December 2010, 12:55 PM
It's all FOG wood Ian (Found On Ground) :q:D

Nai84
12th December 2010, 01:54 PM
Why don't you give yourself a treat & come spend an evening at the Mandurah Woodturners.
The guys there are very friendly & their knowledge of local timbers is extensive.
I would be surprised if one of them don't know what species they are.

Look forward to seeing you there. You never know you might bump into HazzaB :)

Cheers
Col

Suck and see! What can go wrong?

It's all FOG wood Ian (Found On Ground) :q:D

Hey Bb
Well I would but we only have one car so it make hard to go anywhere when have little ones to concider :2tsup:

Hey brendan
Ture ture I have done it plenty of times before :D

Hey Ed
LMAO thats a good one so when some ask what it is I say FOG :q

Ian

rsser
12th December 2010, 02:07 PM
Green branchwood can be made to work but needs a specific approach.

I've done little of it, but it seems you should turn thin as you can, even thickness walls and in one session.

Some folk have had good results from microwave drying; not tried it myself.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 02:36 PM
:wts:

All wood is good for turning. Especially when free.

Sure, the end result may not be a salable (sp?) item, but it's all fun and you will learn from it. :U

rsser
12th December 2010, 03:21 PM
My 2 bob's worth is that for a beginning turner unknown wood may be an unwanted complication.

It may cost you nothing in terms of $$ but may well cost you in terms of aggravation and disappointment.

To get preachy for a moment, a beginning turner has to address:

Tool choice and presentation
Tool sharpening
Sanding
Finishing

That's plenty to start with. If you want the best chance of producing a keeper after all that, then my advice is to source dry timber with known easy turning characteristics.

Nai84
12th December 2010, 04:32 PM
:wts:

All wood is good for turning. Especially when free.

Sure, the end result may not be a salable (sp?) item, but it's all fun and you will learn from it. :U

My 2 bob's worth is that for a beginning turner unknown wood may be an unwanted complication.

It may cost you nothing in terms of $$ but may well cost you in terms of aggravation and disappointment.

To get preachy for a moment, a beginning turner has to address:

Tool choice and presentation
Tool sharpening
Sanding
Finishing

That's plenty to start with. If you want the best chance of producing a keeper after all that, then my advice is to source dry timber with known easy turning characteristics.

Hey Skew ChiDAMN
I agree all wood that is free is good to turn

Hey rsser
Fair call on that 2 bobs worth but when I am aloud to go back to turning I will give it a crack and see how it goes :2tsup:

Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 05:28 PM

Mmmm.... yes and no.

If they're expecting to end up with a finished product, it can lead to disappointment. However, if they're just planning to bung a bit of wood on the lathe and turn it away to "get the feel" for a new (to them) chisel or just for the hell of making curlies, then it's a different story.

Even now I still enjoy just turning odd waste pieces of wood away to nothing.

Valuable lessons can be learned either way. Even if it is "Well, this wood sucks. I ain't turning that again!" :D (And who knows? The wood may turn out to work beautifully.)

artme
12th December 2010, 07:31 PM
Agree with the general sentiments expressed here.

Especially agree with Ern's remarks about grenn branchwood. It is woth trying the microwave. I have done a reasonable amount of this type of drying with pretty good success.

Nai84
12th December 2010, 08:37 PM
Hey artme I will try this and see how I go but it will have to wait until I am aloud to go back to the lathe :(

artme
13th December 2010, 07:20 AM
Hey artme I will try this and see how I go but it will have to wait until I am aloud to go back to the lathe :(

No - The idea is to get a stash of dry timber BEFORE you are allowed back on the lathe!!

So start now! :wink:

jimbur
13th December 2010, 07:53 AM
Agree with the general sentiments expressed here.

Especially agree with Ern's remarks about grenn branchwood. It is woth trying the microwave. I have done a reasonable amount of this type of drying with pretty good success.
I've used the microwave a few times with success. I wouldn't try it with species like oleander though. And make sure the wife is out.
Cheers,
Jim

Nai84
13th December 2010, 10:01 PM
No - The idea is to get a stash of dry timber BEFORE you are allowed back on the lathe!!

So start now! :wink:

I've used the microwave a few times with success. I wouldn't try it with species like oleander though. And make sure the wife is out.
Cheers,
Jim

Artme

I am slowly but surely building up a stash of blanks all shapes and sizes :q

jimbur

I wonder why you do it while the wife is out :q using the microwave that is:doh:

Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2010, 10:33 PM
I wonder why you do it while the wife is out :q using the microwave that is:doh:

If ya put the blank in a clear plastic bag before microwaving, not only does it make guesstimating the drying time easier (by watching how the bag expands with steam/moisture) it also helps conceal what you're nuking from her. :;

Nai84
13th December 2010, 10:54 PM
If ya put the blank in a clear plastic bag before microwaving, not only does it make guesstimating the drying time easier (by watching how the bag expands with steam/moisture) it also helps conceal what you're nuking from her. :;

I think I would have a hard time explaining it to my wife if I was caught :doh: in action:B

Ian

jimbur
14th December 2010, 07:59 AM
I use brown paper bags which soak up the moisture but don't hide the smell.
Cheers,
Jim

texx
14th December 2010, 01:51 PM
looks a lot like mulberry to me

Nai84
14th December 2010, 03:56 PM
mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhh mulberry

Picko
14th December 2010, 04:05 PM
looks a lot like mulberry to me

Exactly :whs: