PDA

View Full Version : I'm after my first lathe...

stumpjumper
12th December 2010, 01:49 AM
I just missed out on a basic home made lathe at the local Cash Converters - two speed 1/2 hp on a 4ft bed, tool rest and simple tail stock for $30. They don't hold and when I went back next day...

There's a 'Dynalink' with stand, all the bits, chisels and a copying attachment on Gumtree for $350 but there's a thread on here that seems to indicate a few problems with quality.

Any suggestions, or should I buy a scrap 1/2 hp motor and rig up my own (I'm an adequate welder etc)?

munruben
12th December 2010, 09:13 AM
Hi, I have a Dynalink which my daughter and hubby bought me a couple of years ago. This particular lathe was brand new but had been in storage for some time. The aluminium cast pulleys on the motor and spindle had perished and just fell to pieces when I tried to start the motor. I replaced the pulleys and had no problems since.
They are not the best lathe by any means but in the low price bracket I guess they hold their own. If I had a choice to buy a new, low priced lathe I would choose a JET. but in the event that you want to buy something around the figure you mentioned, maybe one of the Carba-tec or Hare and Forbes cheaper lathes may suit you, At least you have a back up service for warranty from those companies.
Depending on what accessories come with the lathe you saw advertised it is not a bad price as some of the "extras" are quite costly.
The Dynalink could be a good starting point for you but I guess its a decision you will have to make. If you decide to buy the Dynalink, see if you can check it out before you commit to it. Check the tailstock and headstock line up and I would checkk the pulleys just to be on the safe side. Just bear in mind, the Dynalink is a cheap lathe and as always you get what you pay for.

Good luck and welcome to a very addictive hobby. :2tsup:

stumpjumper
12th December 2010, 09:41 AM
Thanks munruben. It was your experience with Dynalink which made me think twice about the brand.

I'll certainly go and check it out carefully. Thanks for the tips. After missing out on the $30 cheapie, I'll sit back and take my time, and add to the kitty as well.

Here's the Dynalink (at 13/12/10 anyway):

http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tools-DIY-wood-lathe-and-copying-machine-W0QQAdIdZ242812608

It's had a lot of hits, but no sale yet, obviously.

Cliff Rogers
12th December 2010, 09:57 AM
How much do you want to spend?

What size stuff do you want to turn?

There is a Carba-Tec in Adelaide.

Carba-Tec have an Economy Mini Lathe (http://www.carbatec.com.au/carba-tec-economy-mini-lathe_c19865) with a 3 year warranty for $275

pommyphil
12th December 2010, 09:59 AM
Whatever you get should have a cast iron bed. Lots of us started out with a MC 900 or MC 1100 clones, you should be able to pick up a good 2nd hand one between $300 or $400 and with luck when you loose interest or upgrade you'll get your money back.

munruben
12th December 2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks munruben. It was your experience with Dynalink which made me think twice about the brand.

I'll certainly go and check it out carefully. Thanks for the tips. After missing out on the $30 cheapie, I'll sit back and take my time, and add to the kitty as well.

Here's the Dynalink (at 13/12/10 anyway):

wood lathe and copying machine | Tools | Gumtree Adelaide (http://adelaide.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tools-DIY-wood-lathe-and-copying-machine-W0QQAdIdZ242812608)

It's had a lot of hits, but no sale yet, obviously.Thanks for the link, It does have a few extras and the chuck is worth a few bob, probably cost around the $90 for a new one and the other attachment has to be worth a few bob. Looks like a cheap set of chisels but they are alright to start with. Probably still worth considering.

Big Shed
12th December 2010, 10:09 AM
I could be wrong (frequently am:doh:) but that chuck looks like a 4 jaw independent engineering chuck. If it is, then not very useful for woodturning.

artme
12th December 2010, 07:13 PM
G'day Stumpjumper.

You might well be pleased that you missed out on that machine at Cash Converters. Probably would have litt le in the way of accuracy to reccomend it and the motor, for a lathe of those dimensions, doesn't have enough grunt.

coffenup
12th December 2010, 11:03 PM
look around and you find a reasonable lathe for what you want to make
I had a cheapy lathe and now have a midi woodfast that does what I want 4 now. I will be Getting a bigger one later but I will keep my woodfast for my smaller turnings
Regards Michael
Northern Suburbs of Adelaide