PDA

View Full Version : optic corks and bottle stoppers

bowerbird
12th December 2010, 04:44 PM
Hi, a while ago I was given some bottle stopper blanks with dowel in them. More recently I bought some optic corks.

I am now turning my first bottlestopper. Can anyone please tell me if it is ok to use a PVC glue to stick the corks onto the dowel? I want to make a few of these bottle stoppers for Christmas gifts.

Thanks.

Regards,

BB

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 05:36 PM
I'd be inclined to use either a 2-part epoxy or, maybe, the expanding polyurethane type glue.

Either way, I'd use something waterproof.

Some PVA's (eg. Titebond III) are fairly water resistant but why tempt fate?

(And I'd also make sure that I finished the dowel in a water-proof finish, even if the visible part of the stopper is finished in something else.)

bowerbird
12th December 2010, 09:49 PM
Ok, thank you very much, Skew

I'd be inclined to use either a 2-part epoxy or, maybe, the expanding polyurethane type glue.

Either way, I'd use something waterproof.

Some PVA's (eg. Titebond III) are fairly water resistant but why tempt fate?

(And I'd also make sure that I finished the dowel in a water-proof finish, even if the visible part of the stopper is finished in something else.)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th December 2010, 11:35 PM
You're welcome. :)

And good luck with the project. Any chance of some pics when you've finished? We like pics. :;

Whaler1
13th December 2010, 03:19 AM
I use med CA to glue the dowels in and have never had one fail.

Ed Reiss
13th December 2010, 01:31 PM
I'm with Whaler1 on the use of ca...have done thousands in the past and never had a reported failure...including the one's we use at home.:cool:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2010, 09:53 PM
Medium grade CA?

You don't have problems with it wicking into the cork?

Ed Reiss
13th December 2010, 11:57 PM
yep...medium viscosity Zap. Never noticed any wicking problems.

Truth be told, if I was still doing production items, I would opt for the chrome stoppers over the wood stem and cork. Corks do wear out eventually especially if wine has saturated it then let to dry out.