PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good tool shop

chris...
12th December 2010, 10:39 PM
I'm after some good quality tools for my bench mill and lathe, drills, reamer, slotdrills, turning bar etc I only cut aluminium
Does anyone know of a good online tool shop that sells a wide range to the public?

Also my lathe has the standard 4way tool post, does a MT2 holder exist for this type of tool holder. I've found the ones designed for QC but I dont have a QC tool post

Dave J
12th December 2010, 10:50 PM
First one that comes to mind is CTC as he is a good honest seller and also CDCO.
With the MT to go into your 4 way, just buy a MT sleeve and weld a flat bar to it.

Dave

neksmerj
12th December 2010, 11:34 PM
McJings online have reasonable tooling at appropriate prices.

You only get what you pay for.

For end mills, slot drills and drill bits, buy Suttons. Their quality is second to none, and priced accordingly.

Ken

chris...
13th December 2010, 05:06 AM
Sutton sells direct to the public?

Where can I get good reamers?

pipeclay
13th December 2010, 06:45 AM
Not to sure if I would Weld a Female M/T 2 socket,not a real lot of meat.

You would run the chance of distorting the taper with heat.

If you do decide to use a Socket you would have to make sure that what ever you weld to it is square to the centre line,in my opinion you would have to either machine a block with a M/T 2 bore,and then mill this block so it sits on the centre line of your lathe.

It would need to be dedicated to 1 of the tool post openings in your tool post as you may find that the base where your tools sit may not be all exactly the same height and you dont want to be using shims.

Allternatively if you weld to the Socket you would have to do a similar process to get everything square.

Even if you can purchase a dedicated holder you may still need to machine it to suit your toolpost opening.

In regards to your Tooling,are you looking to buy New or Used.

Are you looking for HSS or Carbide (cemented or indexable) Lathe Tooling.

Same as your Milling Tooling.

Are you looking for Machine, Hand or Chucking Reamers.

If you are in no great rush to get everything you would be advised to look on Ebay,the States and Europe have a lot of good tooling,either New or Resharpened.

Stustoys
13th December 2010, 11:09 AM
Currently I use Thomas Warburton(I'm pretty sure they can get you anything in the Sutton range although of course some would have to be ordered in).

Depends where is Melbourne you are. There is Waugh's industrial supplies in Bayswater(I've found them to cost a little more) or Blackwoods(I havent used them for years).
It seems that at most of these sort of stores the counter staff have the ability to set a discount, so what you pay depends a little on how much of a pita you are. Still you will pay. Sutton taps are around $12.5 each.

Stuart

Dave J
13th December 2010, 11:25 AM
Not to sure if I would Weld a Female M/T 2 socket,not a real lot of meat.

You would run the chance of distorting the taper with heat.

If you do decide to use a Socket you would have to make sure that what ever you weld to it is square to the centre line,in my opinion you would have to either machine a block with a M/T 2 bore,and then mill this block so it sits on the centre line of your lathe.

It would need to be dedicated to 1 of the tool post openings in your tool post as you may find that the base where your tools sit may not be all exactly the same height and you dont want to be using shims.

Allternatively if you weld to the Socket you would have to do a similar process to get everything square.

Even if you can purchase a dedicated holder you may still need to machine it to suit your toolpost opening.

I should have given more info above, as I was thinking more about a MT socket that comes on say a MT 2 to MT 3 adapter that has strait sides.
Here is one on ebay
Morse Taper Drill Extension Socket Sleeve- MT2 to MT3 (eBay item 350417358317 end time 27-Dec-10 17:32:45 AEDST) : Industrial (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Morse-Taper-Drill-Extension-Socket-Sleeve-MT2-MT3-/350417358317?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item5196808ded)

Dave

chris...
13th December 2010, 11:35 PM
I think I might just get a straight shank and make up some simple holders for my tool post

Luke Shield
15th December 2010, 02:54 PM
There are morse taper adaptors to suit quick change tool posts available, depending on what brand you have. I believe that Algra rapidue do some. You'd probably have to replace your tool post though unless you already have one, and Algra aren't cheap.

chris...
15th December 2010, 04:30 PM
Yep I've decided to replace my tool post with a QCTP set. I also bought more holders 3 MT and 2 standard holders for about $250 delivered

Dave J
15th December 2010, 04:43 PM
You wont regret buying it, they make a world of difference in setting up tool hight.

Dave

chris...
15th December 2010, 04:55 PM
I also bore holes 90mm deep and using the tail stock on holes that deep is getting annoying.

Dave J
15th December 2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Chris,
If your doing a lot it will save you a lot of hand cranking.

One thing to watch out for if your going to be using the power feed for drilling and if your lathe doesn't have a clutch on the feed rod, is to make sure your shear pin hasn't been replaced with something too hard. It is the only insurance for your gear box.
I have heard a few stories where guys have done damage to gears in a crash, then found the shear pin didn't let go because it had been replaced with steel or something else.

Dave

chris...
15th December 2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah I'll make sure of that

Any idea what RPM and feed I should be running for drilling a 20mm hole in aluminium?

Ropetangler
18th December 2010, 12:41 AM
Hi Chris,
I strongly recommend the "Engineers Black Book" By Pat Rapp,
ISBN 0-9580571-1-7, widely available in tool shops, engineering supplies etc. for around AU$50.00. It is distributed in Australia by Sutton Tools P/L, and the authors e-mail address is [email protected] if all else fails.
It is a compact 105 X 165 mm in size and around 160 pages, which are laminated to give oil resistance in a workshop situation, and it contains a wealth of info, and even a drill sharpening guide in a pocket on the inside back cover. There are other similar reference books, but this is the one I have and I think it's a ripper, and good value. If I can work the uploading of photos properly, there will be a sample page to give you an idea of its usefulness. Cheers and good luck,
Rob

Luke Shield
20th December 2010, 09:32 AM
Shameless plug No. 1:

https://www.bolt.com.au/engineers-black-book-p-101958.html

;)