PDA

View Full Version : Storage Bins

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 09:36 AM
This could go in a couple of places but I put it here 'cos it makes the shed easier to use.

I have (had) a number of places that I kept my power tools, some in a cupboard, some on the bench, some in tool boxes, some in their tied old busted asre original boxes.

I spotted these at Bunnies the other day.

The small ones are about $8, the bigger ones are about $9 & the tub without the lid is also less than $10.

The pictures tell the story.

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 09:45 AM
Here is another idea I got for storage.

I scored these for $1 each... apparently the branding is wrong now so where being disposed of.

There are good for holding turning blanks, off cuts, firewood, camping gear, etc.
I even have one with my Chain Saw gear in it, oil, fuel, tool kit, ear muffs, etc.

The chips can fall out the holes but so can small parts so the do require a bit of care as to what goes in them.

BobR
13th December 2010, 09:50 AM
Cliff, those "milk crates" for a $1 each were a good buy. Can never have too many of them.

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 09:51 AM
I got 20, I already had 4 or 5.

Bob38S
13th December 2010, 11:17 AM
Nice pickup on the bins and crates Cliff.

The lids are a great idea and should keep out dust and the mongrel mud wasps who seem to be able to "weld" a mud nest anywhere.

With regards your labels - could I suggest - get a pix from a brochure/website etc and contact a pix on the box as well - works easier for me.

Regards,
Bob

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 12:25 PM
The labels are done in 36point font, I can read that without glasses. :p

I thought about cutting the pics off some of the boxes before I threw them out but then I got over it. :rolleyes: :D

wheelinround
13th December 2010, 01:28 PM
Nice size Cliff looking at the A4 sheet not much longer how deep are they.

I have some old recycle containers the council never picked up when changing systems good for wood and tool storage larger type though. Also 2 deep recycle ones ideal for storing blanks or small logs.

Bob38S
13th December 2010, 03:15 PM
The labels are done in 36point font, I can read that without glasses. :p

I thought about cutting the pics off some of the boxes before I threw them out but then I got over it. :rolleyes: :D

:doh::doh: I was thinking "old school"

You've got a digital camera - fill the boxes with what you want - then photograph it - everything in its place and a place for everything. Even your "trades assistant" could repack the boxes. :D

snowyskiesau
13th December 2010, 03:31 PM
Might have wander down to Bunnies to check those lidded tubs out.

Could come in handy for the move.

tea lady
13th December 2010, 04:16 PM
:those milk crate type things could be good. Pondering how to move the woodstash AND make it easier to move next time. (in a rental house!) I've seen them around with one side out so that you can get to the stuff in the bottom one without unstacking the stack!:cool:

silentC
13th December 2010, 04:22 PM
The milk crate is a wonderful thing with so many uses. When I first arrived in Sydney in 1986 we had no furniture. I quickly discovered that with milk crates you could build a full bedroom suite, including a bed base and bed head (requires 20 crates), a wardrobe (with the addition of a broomstick) and a TV table. Then when you move house, all your clothes and stuff goes in the crates and you're ready to go.

There would not be a working guitarist in the land who does not have at least one. I had about 30 of them but over the years they have dwindled away and I've now got only about 10 or so.

acmegridley
13th December 2010, 05:56 PM
Korean plasterers use them as ladders!:oo:

NewLou
13th December 2010, 06:23 PM
Clifford

All these tools should be hanging on the shed wall in open display for all to see as they bound in ..........................

You know if you wack em in coffins they run outta air n die :oo:

Regards Lou :D

artme
13th December 2010, 06:59 PM
Milk crates ae a great item to have,

Only problem is they don't hold sawdust!:rolleyes:

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 10:57 PM
Nice size Cliff looking at the A4 sheet not much longer how deep are they.

I have some old recycle containers the council never picked up when changing systems good for wood and tool storage larger type though. Also 2 deep recycle ones ideal for storing blanks or small logs.
The shallow ones just fit a 5" grinder with the handle removed, a 4" grinder fits no worries, handle & all.

Clifford

All these tools should be hanging on the shed wall in open display for all to see as they bound in ..........................

You know if you wack em in coffins they run outta air n die :oo:

Regards Lou :D
It is Clifton, not Clifford. :puke:

Every tool has a collection of 'bits' that goes with it & there just isn't enough space to hang all my stuff on the wall.

I also need to take some of my tools with me (out of the shed) to do a job so if it & all the bits that go with it are in one box, I just grab that box & sling it in the car.

I had to go back to Bunnies today for glue & some pots for the garden, I found the 54L (next bigger size, a bit like the one that I put my 9" saw in) with lids for $15 so I grabbed a couple of them too. :2tsup:

I'll get the dimensions & some more photos over the next couple of days.

Cliff Rogers
13th December 2010, 10:59 PM
Milk crates ae a great item to have,

Only problem is they don't hold sawdust!:rolleyes:
That is the best thing about them.

If you want to hold saw dust in them, put a bag in them.
We have chooks & I recycle the chook food bags as 'bin liners' to hold sawdust & offcuts.
They are stronger than garbage bags.

Yonnee
15th December 2010, 04:14 PM
Great ideas Clifford. :tongue2:

My Dad made some lids for a couple of milk crates he has, a piece of ply cut to the size of the crate and four cleats screwed on the under side to stop the lid sliding around. But not only was it a lid, but doubled as a step or a seat without having to empty the crate and turn it up-side-down.

Cliff Rogers
15th December 2010, 04:19 PM
Not a bad idea.... I have several weird size offcuts of ply in my scrap heap. :2tsup:

Grumpy John
17th December 2010, 11:42 AM
The only problem with stacking 'em is that the tool you want is always in the bottom box :((.

Cliff Rogers
17th December 2010, 03:21 PM
Still better than being on the floor in the back corner behind a ton of other sheyet.

I will eventually have shelves that will only hold 2 of the smallest ones stacked so not too bad.