PDA

View Full Version : Slow clock and date?

neksmerj
13th December 2010, 06:09 PM
More computer woes.

Some time ago, I noticed my computer clock and date, were running late.

This I figured was the computer battery going flat. Had that replaced, then the power supply, it was crook also.

All fixed, nup? The clock and date still run late, by hours and days.

What else could the problem be?

Ken

snowyskiesau
13th December 2010, 07:04 PM
Ken,

Based on your recent spate of computer problems, my best suggestion is to ask Santa for new computer. :)

How much time is it losing? is it a matter of not keeping the current time after powering off or is it running slow?

wheelinround
13th December 2010, 07:06 PM
Ken what version windows are you running and have you done all updates I recall a fix some time ago for clock settings. What setting have you got the clock working on?

Master Splinter
13th December 2010, 07:39 PM
You are rapidly getting to the 'throw it out' problem stage! Lets see - an i5 760 CPU ($212), a suitable motherboard ($90 for a Gigabyte H55M-SV2) and 4 gig of DDR3 RAM ($60) should solve a lot of your problems!!!

1) Check that it is querying the correct time server and not pulling down the correct time for Uzbekistan or somewhere.

2) Check that the CMOS battery actually is fresh and providing 1.5 volts.

3) Replace motherboard/CPU/RAM. (and possibly a new power supply, $45 for a 500 watt-er)

neksmerj
13th December 2010, 08:50 PM
Snowy, WR and MS.

My unit is 6 years old, maybe I should have a word with Santa. I use Windows XP home edition, with updates turned on. I'm in the Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney time zone, and have internet time sync turned on. I wouldn't know if the new battery is fresh, it was new in the packet when installed.

I think the time slows down when the PC is turned off at night. It's nothing to lose a week in several days. I read where the internet time sync won't work if the time is out by more than 15 hours.

Thanks for all your help.

Ken

munruben
14th December 2010, 09:43 AM
Seeing as you have replaced the battery, by every rule in the book, it should be okay but wouldn't be the first time a new batttery is low on power. To test if the battery is low, go to the DOS prompt and type "time" without the quotation marks of course,. If the time displayed is different to that of your taskbar clock then there is a chance the battery is a dud. The CMOS battery keeps the correct time and even if your computer loses time, it should be reset by the CMOS when you reboot.

If the time is the same as your taskbar clock, you could disable APM (advanced power manager) in the BIOS set up and control the APM through The Windows Power management in control panel.

Your computer checks the CMOS clock regularly to keep the correct time on your computer taskbar clock however, your anti virus software or some other software such as a screen saver or system utility may be preventing your computer from accessing the CMOS clock for correction so maybe worth looking at that.

Probably the best answer to your problem would be to install the Atomic Clock software and have your computer adjust its time from that periodically. Atomic Clock is a free download so maybe thats worth considering.

Failing that, yep, a new comp mate, Hey its Christmas just drop a few hints. :)

munruben
14th December 2010, 09:51 AM
Here is the link for the Atomic Clock (http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/) check it out

neksmerj
15th December 2010, 09:34 PM
Nah, installing Atomic Clock, didn't fix it, so it must be the battery.

Will get a new one fitted, and express my disaffection at getting a stale one fitted.

Ken

munruben
16th December 2010, 10:33 AM
Nah, installing Atomic Clock, didn't fix it, so it must be the battery.

Will get a new one fitted, and express my disaffection at getting a stale one fitted.

KenIf its the battery a dud, they should fit another one for nothing. Let us know how it goes. If it fixes the problem. I'm surprised the Atomic clock didn't help as the computer checks directly with the Atomic clock location and adjusts the clock accordingly. You do have to ping the Atomic clock to get results. Anyway I hope the battery fixes the problem.

neksmerj
21st January 2011, 03:48 PM
My computer woes continue.

As mentioned earlier, replacing the computer battery did not fix the problem of losing time.

Back to the computer shop......."Sorry, battery OK, will be mother board". As per the Chinese shop owner. "Can't put in new mother board, all different. Hard drive connections no good, all different". and so on, and so on. I could feel my heart dropping with every statement, and the dollar signs going up proportionately.

"No Windows sticker on computer, mmmm". I could tell this was going to cost even more money. Windows was already installed when I purchased this computer, about 6 years ago.

The bottom line is, chuck it and start again for around $500, box of goodies only. Just when I was saving up for a shed, don't you hate that?

Ken