PDA

View Full Version : project for a shaper

welder
13th December 2010, 09:46 PM
hi guys i need a project for my new toy an atlas metal shaper i picked her up for $120. also i get a rough surface finish would this be caused by to fast a feed and to slow a ram.here is a pic

ps the drill press vise was only for testing i now have a milling vise on it.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RpfW1bzPcMM/S97Q1F6QytI/AAAAAAAAAIU/xe8boZSYL_M/Image0189.jpg

Bryan
13th December 2010, 09:52 PM
Nice score! Is it in good nick? Sorry, can't help with cutting advice.

Stustoys
13th December 2010, 09:55 PM
Nice score welder.
What sort of tool are you using? It could be the wrong shape.
Whats the swarf look like?

Stuart

welder
13th December 2010, 09:56 PM
well when i got it the cross feed didn't work took the ratchet off found it was missing it put one in fixed that up other tan the bar that drives the ratchet not being original and a much to short belt that wont come off it all seems in good nick. i hope to make a vise for it one of these days

Dave J
13th December 2010, 10:10 PM
We get around the same circles
I will just repeat what I wrote on the other forum
Your surface finish is caused buy the tool grinding, if you have a look around online you will find some good references to tool grinding.

Dave

pipeclay
14th December 2010, 06:05 AM
Make an angle plate,make some extra Tee nuts for your table,make some Vee blocks or Parallels.

welder
24th December 2010, 02:13 PM
hi thanks for all the suggestions and ideas but i think my first project will be learning how to sharpen tools for it, i can make a cut and the swarf rolls abit then break it doesn't come off in curls like when drilling.should i make all the angles of the tool exact because i am only guesstimating the angles now thanks Andre.

Stustoys
24th December 2010, 02:30 PM
Tool angels can normally be pretty rough. But it does depend on the tool. What sort of tip are you trying to use?

I've found in my practice that the (not even sure what its called) finishing tool I am using is very fussy on the angle it is mounted V the surface of the work. The depth of cut has to be very shallow or it pushes up metal in front of the cut(but then again it is a finishing tool after all lol).

(pictures?)

Stuart

Bryan
24th December 2010, 02:39 PM
Your tool angles will have to be within a certain range to get good results, like lathe tools. In fact, if you read up on lathe tools, the same principles apply.

There's lots of shaper info linked from here: Shaper Book Page (http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books/shaper_book_page.htm), including tool shapes.

You don't want long chips. They're a nuisance. None of the pics or vids you see of shapers working show long ribbons.

welder
24th December 2010, 06:48 PM
thanks guys i will get some pictures of the tools soon. i think i got the machine cutting well i had a play around and the finish is really smooth when i run a finishing cutter over it.