PDA

View Full Version : Repainting garage door?

blt
9th November 2004, 12:15 PM
Hi All, we have an old tri-steel garage that's seen better days. The main walls of the garage aren't too bad, but the tilt-door face looks very shabby/faded. We were thinking about painting it, but aren't sure how to start, hence the questions!

Should we sand it first, and what with?
Is there a particular paint most suited for metal - a glossy look would be nice?
When you paint metal, should you just use a brush, or would a roller/air gun be better? (the door has a grecan type profile, it isn't flat).

Thanks for any tips/advice!

journeyman Mick
9th November 2004, 03:18 PM
Just got the house painted last week (yeah! one more thing off the "gunnadoo" list :cool: ). Washed the whole house down with bleach and a 13HP pressure washer. They painted the garage roller door with the same paint as the walls: gloss duraguard. Any of the non-prime exterior acrylics will work well on colorbond, especially if it's weathered. The painters gave the roller door and gutters a light sand to provide key and just brushed it on.

Mick

sandant
9th November 2004, 05:56 PM
there is paint designed to do metal in a variety of brands if im painting metal i would use a metal primer or undercoat then whatever you wanted on top probably a waterbased as its nicer to work with. (the metal paint is very sticky and requires turps clean up)

as for sanding the thing you can buy steel brushes that attach to your grinder that do a really really good job one i use is (going to the shed to find it)
ok back it hasnt got a name but its made by brumby and the packet says brumby brushware you can get them from bunnings about 15$ not exatly sure what you mean by tri steel (coragated iron?). anyway the brush is exellent it may be a little to good and scratch the door. test it first if you decide to go that way. you will find plenty of uses for the brush if its to hard.

hope this helps

brad

soundman
15th November 2004, 10:58 PM
I can highly recomend wattyl super etch metal primer.
on a tilta door a good scraper my be faster than anything else.
that kiwi crowd who make saw blades & router bits make a killer scraper with a replacable carbide blade, available in most pro paint shops.