PDA

View Full Version : New Festo 1400 Router

warmtone
9th November 2004, 04:00 PM
I'm in the Market for a high quality mid range router with good dust extraction and sound engineering.

Has anyone tried the new Router from Festool - looks very well designed ergonomically - but as usual the "little extra" like an 8mm collet cost a fortune(!

At $852 this should be a "world best" product - but is it??

PaulS
9th November 2004, 04:39 PM
Check out Dean's review...

http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/festoolOF1400EBQ.htm

Whinging Pom
9th November 2004, 08:16 PM
Iīve spent a little time using this machine and a lot of time playing around with it. There are several nice features on there. 1st the rachett for locking and unlocking the collet, simple idea that works and can save a lot of swearing when the spanner doesnīt quite fit where you want it. The pistol style grip is a really nice idea, came from their 1010 range and still in my opinion an easy way to use a router. It have very easy to use quick release circular fences, if you are using a Leigh Jig then at present you have to remove this system an replace with a new plate to allow you to use the guides, Mik International have now got this available Iīm still waiting to receive mine for a customer so I canīt tell you have good it is Iīll let you know if youīre interested though. Something that I never thought of until the 1400 is that on most routers when you lock the height you are only locking onto one post. Not so on the 1400 now it is geared across to fix on both postes.

Bottom line - Is it worth the money???

Humm.... I think so! Yes the collets are expensive but then look at ALL Festool accessories.

They just have it right, only thing to do is ask yourself it there is another router that does everything you want then make the decision.

Good Luck

Dean
10th November 2004, 11:45 PM
if you are happy to spend $852 on a router, go for it. See my review as well. It certainly is a very well-engineered and well thought out router.

warmtone
11th November 2004, 01:33 PM
The Review is certainly encouraging - no surprises here - but as usual I find myself arguing with myself about the whole Festool "value for money" proposition.

Don't get me wrong I own a few Festool products and I know they are well made - and great to use but the "consumables and extras" are overpriced and this factor alone is a turn off for a lot of potential customers.

Yes the 1400 is probably the best mid range router - but so it should be at $852. Trouble is this is just the "flagfall cost" - If you want to use the machine with your Festool guide rail system (I do) - the plastic attachment costs another sixty plus bucks - same for the 1/4" Collett you need for smaller router bits.......... eg for my GIFKIN dovetail jig.

And if you want to use a Festo Router bit add another 100 bucks ........my local supplier has never sold a Festool router bit because they are 3 times the price of top quality equivalents.

Over a "grand" to get going ........ is hard to justify. And as we all know there are "no deals on Festool"

This precision engineered Router is probably worth the money but the silly prices for low content commodity spares are not. My position is that at this price Festool should include at least a couple of collets and the mandatory plastic guide rail adaptor.

(Anyone reading this from Festool please take note!)

Summary: I would like to buy this machine - but will look more closely at the opposition. Is there a real competitor in say the Metabo or PorterCable range?

Ben from Vic.
11th November 2004, 03:53 PM
There may be other options, but you'll probably have to look further than Metabo and Portercable.

The last time I looked at Metabo routers, you couldn't lock the trigger on, meaning you can't use them under the table, and must hold the trigger at all times.

And the Portercable routers are a bit clumsy for my liking.

Ben

Dean
12th November 2004, 03:05 AM
You could always tape or strap the trigger in the on position if you have a dedicated switch on your router table as well.

warmtone
12th November 2004, 02:33 PM
Dean,
Is there anything special about the Festool 1/4' collet? - can I use the collet from my old Hitachi TR12?

After reading your review again it looks like the dust extraction on the 1400 is exceptionally good - and hard to find an equivalent on other Routers ......... Most manufacturers do not give sufficient priority to this important issue.

From what I have seen the Triton Router is excellent in the dust extraction department and seems to provide great value for money with some really good design features - like the micro height adjuster and one spanner bit change mechanism.

Unfortunately ergonomics is not a Triton strong point and the complete lack of compatibility with the Festool guide system pretty much eliminates it from my list....

OK the festo 1400 is still under consideration!!!

Whinging Pom
12th November 2004, 08:10 PM
Dean,
Is there anything special about the Festool 1/4' collet? - can I use the collet from my old Hitachi TR12?

Apart from the high quality of the collet thereīs not really anything special about it. Is your Hitachi collet one that bushes out the 1/2Ļ or completely replaces it?

If itīs the bush type then there is no reason you canīt use it. If itīs a complete replacement then the chance of it fitting is slim to nill.

I have to agree on the dust extraction side. How many routers can you demonstrate on the shop floor and not spend days clearing up the mess?

warmtone
15th November 2004, 09:48 AM
While I'm still sorting out the Festool Router decision I decided to re-visit my old but "as new" Hitachi TR12 and how I could better put it to use. I am in the process of making a garden gate and needed to recess some Tassie OAK boards into an Oregan frame. I wasn't looking forward to the dust and cleanup time (!)

I decided that the Triton Router Table RTA 300 was a good buy offering a massive upgrade to my old MK2 ('78) arrangement. I've got to say at $150.00 this table is a remarkable achievement in providing excellent dust extraction, a reasonably accurate fence set up and very high content.

By this I mean substantial material, excellent design and very high quality finish. Triton include everything you need to get going - and even better it is Australian made. In my opinion the value for money is outstanding.

At the other end of the scale Festool would provide just two OF 1400 colletts - for about the same price as Triton's RTA 300 Router table (!)

Doesn't make sense does it?

MikeK
15th November 2004, 10:44 AM
I will be spending a few days in the US soon and wondered if there was anything (apart from the voltage, which is easy to fix) that would make a US version of the OF1400 incompatible with Australia. I looked on the website and couldn't find the OF1400 in the US catalogue (it's coming sometime soon), but I noticed that the OF2000 has a 16.7 amperage! Is this to compensate for the 120V ? This got me wondering about US/Oz differences and hence the question about.

Regards,
Mike.

Ben from Vic.
15th November 2004, 11:12 AM
Triton include everything you need to get going - and even better it is Australian made.

The Triton router is well respected on this site, but it isn't made in Oz. :o

Not that there's anything wrong with that either. ;)

Ben.

nt900
18th November 2004, 07:22 AM
The collet comes with another clamping nut. Aperture also matching the size of the collet and router bit shaft diameter. Not sure why, but it does. From the perspective of quality, the two items come and operate locked together (although you can separate them if required) so they don't get separated during use and changeover, and weigh a surprising heavy weight, if weight is any indication that they don't scrimp on materials. Yet again, if this is an indication of quality, their service life could be longer and ultimately (through lack of ware and tear) provide more accuracy. Manage you own perception of price for Festool gear, but I believe they don't seem to compromise on primary and smaller components in order to keep the price down.

As for my Triton router, the soft metal of the shaft where it is locked by the locking pin, is elongating and I imagine will shortly fail. Therefore router out of action and out of warranty. The Festool probably would not fail prematurely, and (although they are not the only ones) would still be in its three year warranty period.

My 2c.

warmtone
18th November 2004, 12:49 PM
Given that a 1/4 inch collet is included with the Festool OF2000 why doesen't Festool apply the same rule to the new OF 1400??? After all it's the same part!!

The situation is exacerbated by the fact that Australians generally pay nearly double what Americans pay for the same Festool product. For example an OF 1400 collet is just US28.00 (AU$40) and in Australia $78.50 (!)

If we were paying US prices, this issue would not have been raised.

Whinging Pom
18th November 2004, 09:51 PM
If it makes you feel any better you do get the 12mm collet free with it. 12mm being the common size in Europe not 1/2Ļ.
<sigh>

nt900
19th November 2004, 01:06 PM
I assume 12mm and 1/2 inch are just the labels applied to the same sized collet that accepts our local 12.5mm / 1/2 inch bits.......

Whinging Pom
20th November 2004, 08:59 PM
I assume 12mm and 1/2 inch are just the labels applied to the same sized collet that accepts our local 12.5mm / 1/2 inch bits....... Unfortunately not. You cannot fit a 1/2Ļ bit into a 12mm collet same as a 1/4Ļ bit wonīt fit in a 6mm collet.

Peter T
25th November 2004, 03:16 PM
I bought myself the OF1400 when at the Melbourne Wood Show just gone and I am suitably impressed with it. I have spend considerable time searching around for a router that didn't suffer the same ills as all others, the fact that the plunge locking mechanism only clamps one post. If there is slop in the bearings then you can, when applying pressure to the handles alter the angle of the bit by the movement of the machine over the unlocked post.
The other common problem is the quality of the collet. The more segments the better.
I searched high and low (more fun searching when high) for fixed base routers but to no avail. Seems we in oz don't have them!
I was tossing up between the top of the range Dewalt and Makita until I saw and played with the Festool, not as powerful but the advantages just left the others for dead, even the festool OF2000 (I think that's the one at nearly $1K).
I didn't bat an eyelid at the $850 as in my opinion it is the best router on the oz market that I know of for what I WANT.
As to the cost for a 1/4" collet, I look at it this way, if you spend that much on a router you want to make it as useful as possible so the $70 something is a small price to pay, which I have done. Granted it is a bit stiff not supplying one with the router.
The handle and locking knob are very good and easy to use, I was sceptical at first until I had it in my hands.
Think long and hard at what it is you want to get from the tool and remember also to spread the cost over the expected life of it.
One thing I don't like about it is the special screws securing the phenolic base plate to the base. When I get around to making a tool to fit they shall find their way into the bin. Nothin like splitting hairs hey?
The dust extraction shroud works well but it does limit your view of the bit, the ratchet for bit installation and removal is great and the soft start a pleasure. The plunge action is smooth and controllable while the locking knob enables the task of locking without becoming contorted fumbling for a lever. The OF1400 is a 9.5 out of 10 for me.

warmtone
26th November 2004, 12:51 PM
I started this thread and after much thought have ultimately had to agree with Peter T and Whinging Pom that the OF 1400 does win hands down in all critical areas.

I bought mine earlier this week - but not yet had the chance to use it seriously. Initial impressions are favourable: Very smooth running and relatively quiet and that unmistakable Festool quality feel.

Someone correctly pointed out - at least with Festool you only cry once......

The collet is exceptionally well made and I must point out superior to what I am used to in the old Hitachi TR12 - where router bits have a habit of working loose. This will not happen with the Festool OF 1400!

It's slightly ironic that Festool supply 2 collets out of the box 1/2 inch and 12mm - with the latter being fairly useless for Australia. I have written to Festool to encourage them to include a 1/4 inch collet as standard......

I also bought the guide adaptor for the Festool rail - it provides a vernier adjustment for precision positioning and makes the router very versatile.
The usual guide rail is also impressive - provided as part of the standard kit.

Happy to provide some real feedback once I have had chance to put it through the hoops!

monoman
6th December 2004, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I've also taken the plunge (ha ha), and bought an OF1400. Wow. It's every bit as good as I hoped it would be. Better than my old 1/4" and 1/2" ELUs. I'm slowly coming to terms with the handle arrangement. Spent most of the day using it cutting some mortices and using it with the guide rails.

Only 2 gripes. The plunge is a bit sticky, which should improve with use and some lube. Second gripe. Where do all the bits go in the systainer? Some are obvious (rails, fence, router), other bits - farknose.

Just think. For the money I could owe every GMC product ever made.

Oh yeah, third gripe. What a crappy manual. I guess all the money goes into the flash cattledog they give you.

Whinging Pom
7th December 2004, 07:31 AM
Second gripe. Where do all the bits go in the systainer? Some are obvious (rails, fence, router), other bits - farknose.

I know what you mean, I think that the only way to get it right is to take a photo of the position of everything before you take it out of the box for the first time.:D

SkidMark
9th December 2004, 05:21 PM
Or simply buy a new one when it gets too messed up.

Ben from Vic.
9th December 2004, 09:00 PM
Or simply buy a new one when it gets too messed up.

http://www.ubeaut.biz/thumbupwink.gif :D :D :D

Now we're talking. ;)

Peter T
10th December 2004, 09:35 AM
Shame on you blokes!!!! You should know that you simply throw everything back in the box willy nilly, shut the lid and hope that it all fits!!!

For MONOMAN: I have found the plunge action to be very smooth and controllable. Could it be that you are applying pressure only on the long handle (the one with the power switch) rather than on both? Just a thought.
I would be reluctant to apply a lube as it MAY attract dust and grit that MAY prematurely wear the bearings. Just another thought.

monoman
10th December 2004, 09:50 AM
For MONOMAN: I have found the plunge action to be very smooth and controllable. Could it be that you are applying pressure only on the long handle (the one with the power switch) rather than on both? Just a thought.
I would be reluctant to apply a lube as it MAY attract dust and grit that MAY prematurely wear the bearings. Just another thought.

It's starting to get a bit better with use. I agree about not lubing with something that will attract dust. I'll pick up some teflon lube (it's antistatic) and try that. Or get a replacement router.

Cheers

Medal Collector
25th January 2005, 04:32 PM
Hi all, looking at the 1400 matched with the module 6a and system table etc to make myself the best router table I can. Any comments on using which router in a table? I am primarily making cabinet style mouldings or picture frame mouldings with proposed router and heard that the 2000 is not for detail work. Would people recommend the 1010 or the 1400 for table ops given a choice?