PDA

View Full Version : I need a good Table Saw

Deconstruction
9th November 2004, 11:16 PM
I've got a little, cheap 10" Ryobi portable and I want something more substantial. Any recommendations?

I've been seriously thinking about this one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E3HNV/qid=1099998803/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/002-5666899-9854448?v=glance&s=hi

gatiep
9th November 2004, 11:48 PM
I have sent you a pm

reeves
10th November 2004, 12:38 PM
Mate, i got a Ryobi 10 inch table for 260 from Mitre 10 with a router and jigsaw attachment. IT's ok abut not as sturdy as i would ahve hoped. Thin cuts tend to get stuck in the blade cavity, meaning u gotta take the blad eoff and get em out and the lug than holds the strip plate next tot he blade broke the first time i tried to shove a decent sized log through it. Alos the safety guard is kind of tinted whihc make sit hard to actualyy SEE the blade thorugh it, i leave it off a sin the older style and just amke sure i am eyeballing the actuall blade when i cut.

ON the positive front the router table use is good so for a medium hobbeiest use its pretty good value.

Its probably worth the extra bucks to get a better quality one in the 300 400 range.

Tradetools direct or carbatec should have something good.

cheeeeeers

rhook
10th November 2004, 05:31 PM
Looks a lot like the Delta 10" contractors, which you can get from carbatec. similar price. I got the delta recently, and am very happy with it.

Rocker
10th November 2004, 06:33 PM
Rhook,
I don't think they have any branches of Carbatec in the mid-west of the US of A, so I recommend Deconstruction to buy a Jet Table saw, which is available over there.

Rocker

outback
10th November 2004, 06:41 PM
Rhook,
I don't think they have any branches of Carbatec in the mid-west of the US of A, so I recommend Deconstruction to buy a Jet Table saw, which is available over there.

Rocker
I'm sure they would post. :eek:

Toggy
10th November 2004, 10:48 PM
But just imagine how long it would take for delivery from the branch that a lot of people are complaining about.:D

Ken

rhook
11th November 2004, 10:14 AM

Ooops. Missed that one. On the other hand, they've got the Delta's over there as well :)

Stephen H
12th November 2004, 12:25 PM
I'd appreciate some help as well. I'm having problems making a decision because I have no direct experience with table saws and I will have to buy mail order (I'm in Hobart and I can't find much of a local range).

Its very tough to compare units as every supplier seems to have their own brand even though the photos and model numbers appear suspciously similar (ie the Ledacraft LE-2325 sold by Northwood Tools seems quite close to the Sherwood MJ-2325 sold by Timbecon).

I'd be very interested in what people think would be okay for home/hobby use - screen building etc, certainly in the < $800 (aus) range, preferably around $500. (I think that's about the max I can negotiate with SWMBO without incurring too much pain).

I've look at the major catalogues, but their brief descriptions don't really help me make an informed choice.

So, what's the forums' cumulative wisdom??

yankeebob
15th January 2005, 05:27 PM
Melbourne Ryobi Table Saw Owner. 1) Saw comes without a dust extraction option above the blade. Try to get this in any unit you buy as there is dust all over my garage. 2) The stand it comes on is does not lend itself to being placed on wheels. In the end I built a box on large castors, and placed the saw on this. Then had to build a second storage box on castors at same height to use as off and on table. 3) Jigsaw port requires an attachment accessory from Ryobi, as does the Router Port. I ordered mine and they arrived with no instructions. A pain to work out how to use them. Fence for both is needed. IN SHORT, Ryobi is the cheapest (GMC may be lower) but in life you get what you pay for. Try to see product in operation, speak to your local TAFE, or any hobbiest in Tasmania.

ryanarcher
16th January 2005, 08:10 AM
Deconstruction,
I live in bellingham wa, which is the headquarters of Grizzly. They are very inconsistant. You may get a jewel or you may get a lemon. and thier return/repair folks are worthless. I have two grizzly tools: a 19" bandsaw that is awesome, and a 8" bench grinder which I should have thrown away right out of the box. If you are looking to upgrade from your ryobi, DO NOT BUY A GRIZZLY! you get what you pay for. I have a Delta Unisaw with a Unifence and will never go back. I strongly recomend this saw 2nd only to a SawStop. have a good one!
-ryan

noodle_snacks
16th January 2005, 03:04 PM
Stephen H.

There is a machinery shop in dewent park road, quite close to bunnings and K&D with a decent range of table saws from about $500 up. I suggest you take a look. They are called "Moonah Machinery". I think the joinery supply place in north hobart has some machinery as well but i have not got around to going there yet.

If you already have a circular saw then a triton might be another option.

yankeebob
7th January 2006, 06:45 PM
A year ago I posted a reply about the features of the Ryobi Table Saw which someone was contemplating buying.

This Christmas, my wife and my mother in law were kind enough to give me a Triton table saw; I already have a 235 mm Triton saw. So I am extremely happy.

Comparing the two is like examining a mercedes benz vs a hyundai. The engineering, customer support, product features - you get what you pay for in this world.

Now I have a Ryobi table saw that is looking a home. Its free. You however have to come to Melbourne Australia to pick it up.

Happy New YEar.

jacko
7th January 2006, 10:00 PM
it may be that Ryan is correct, however I bought a grizzly 10" ts and have been very happy. I bought the sliding table which is a pig to align, but as is indistdinguishable from the Delta, it comes with the patch. I have had good service from Grizzly and all the parts are interchangable with Delta (strange that!)
I als had a Ryobi, so I know of what you speak! I wore out the brass slide bushings on the rise and fall inside of 15 montths of weekend warrior woodworking!
Jacko

Ashore
7th January 2006, 10:55 PM
A year ago I posted a reply about the features of the Ryobi Table Saw which someone was contemplating buying.
As you are on post No2 , both in this thread what name have yopu used for your previous posts:confused: :confused: