PDA

View Full Version : Model A Roadster

elderly
18th December 2010, 03:18 PM
I decided to make a Model A Roadster for my next major project. I will be making it primarily out of jarrah and tassie oak. It has six wheels (two spares) each wheel has sixteen spokes so they will keep me occupied for a while. I have posted a pic of the little I have done so far.
Cheers Elderly

crowie
18th December 2010, 07:10 PM
So that's the frame Elderly or should I say Chassis Rails.
Looking forward to following you progress & photos, thank you.
Cheers, crowie

artme
18th December 2010, 07:13 PM
This should be interesting!!:)

munruben
18th December 2010, 11:26 PM
Look forward to seeing the WIP on this.:2tsup:

groeneaj
19th December 2010, 09:18 AM
Should be very interesting! Keep the pics coming :2tsup:

AUSSIE
19th December 2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Elderly
Looking good.Is this the Gatto Model A?
It is a good looking model when finished.
Keep up the good work mate:2tsup:

elderly
19th December 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi Aussie,
Yes it is the Gatto Model A. The plans are pretty crappy though.Small hard to see and not to scale.

elderly
21st December 2010, 06:50 PM
This afternoon I started on the wheels. After marking out the tyres and rims I drilled 12mm holes through the centre of them and then rough cut them on the scroll saw. For the sake of accuracy I decided to turn then on my new, second hand mini metal lathe. After mounting on a half inch set screw I turned the outside of the tyres. Rather than needlessly get more dust on the metal lathe I moved across to my wood lathe, mounted them in the pin jaws in the scroll chuck and sanded the radius on the outside of the tyres. It was then back to the metal lathe where using a parting tool I cut the centre out of the tyres. I then cut the outside of the rims to fit into the tyres. The next job will be to drill the holes for the spokes. I will use the same method as I did for the stagecoach. The tyres are Queensland Mahogany and the spokes are Tassie Oak.
Cheers Elderly.

AUSSIE
22nd December 2010, 02:14 AM
Keep the WIP going Elderly.My eyes lit up when I spotted you wheel progress.For some reason I have trouble with them.You may solve that .Keep it up.:)
Great:2tsup:

munruben
22nd December 2010, 09:29 AM
Yes! keep the WIP coming Love to see the progress of your work. Spoke wheels have also always been a pet hate of mine but your method seems to be doable for me so I watch with interest. Nice work.:2tsup:

elderly
22nd December 2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your encouragement guys.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
22nd December 2010, 04:37 PM
Today I drilled the holes in the rims for the spokes using the same simple jig i used for the stagecoach wheels. As i said previously it is simply a 90degree block of wood with a 12mm hole drilled in it. I then cut out the inside of the rims and decided to call it a day. I was being eaten alive by mozzies. The Aeroguard was killing me but the mozzies seemed to be thriving on it. Walked out the shed door and almost got knocked over by a swarm of locust.
Cheers Elderly

artme
23rd December 2010, 08:16 AM
Good stuphph Elderly!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I plan on doing some toymaking next year and your wheel making set up has my interest!:)

munruben
23rd December 2010, 01:55 PM
What is the thickness of the timber you are using for the wheels and the diameter of the wheel please when completed with the tyre atttached.

I too am enjoying the WIP keep it coming. :2tsup:

elderly
23rd December 2010, 03:03 PM
Hi munruben,
The finished wheel will be 10mm thick and approx 60mm dia the plans i am working from are in imperial measurments.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
23rd December 2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks artme. I look forward to seeing your toys next year.
Cheers Elderly.

Yonnee
23rd December 2010, 11:07 PM
I have to post a reply just so I'm subscribed to this thread. I'll be watching with great interest for the progress on this. Keep up the great work Elderly.

And all the best for Christmas.

springwater
23rd December 2010, 11:23 PM
:cool: Wonderful to watch your work Elderly thanks for showing, great stuff :2tsup:

munruben
24th December 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi munruben,
The finished wheel will be 10mm thick and approx 60mm dia the plans i am working from are in imperial measurments.
Cheers ElderlyThanks for that elderly. Have a nice Christmas.:2tsup:

powderpost
26th December 2010, 10:22 PM
What a co-incidence, I am at present building a utility, or as the yanks say, a pick up version of the same vehicle.
Jim

elderly
27th December 2010, 09:54 AM
Hi Jim,
It is a coincidence. I look forward to seeing some pics.
Cheers Elderly.

AUSSIE
27th December 2010, 02:11 PM
What a co-incidence, I am at present building a utility, or as the yanks say, a pick up version of the same vehicle.
Jim
Hi Jim
You get the credit for getting me going on model cars (Wood) HERE (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f174/1930-model-ford-tourer-84800/) to see Jims Model
Jim built a Model A some years ago.,and very good it was.Cant wait to see.
Both models guys.Elderly you are progressing very well.
I best get my finger out and do something.I need to get my brain into gear first:B

powderpost
27th December 2010, 10:08 PM
Actually the truth of the matter is that I finished a car last week, the third model. The local Ford dealer annoyed the shyte out of me till I sold it to him. That was the second car. The first car went to a local panel beater. My wife has been on my case for at least 18 months over the sales. The recently completed car WILL stay in the family. I built the last one primarily for my private collection (and to pacify swmbo), and secondly to work out how to build the utility version. That one is about 30% done.
Elderly, I have no desire to interlope on you thread, I can post some photos here or would you prefer I start a new thread for the utility version? I am open to comment from everyone.
Jim

Yonnee
27th December 2010, 11:21 PM
New thread please Jim.

Looking forward to seeing it.

AUSSIE
28th December 2010, 06:37 AM
Yeh,Jim.New thread would be better.You are a star:2tsup:

Claw Hama
28th December 2010, 06:51 AM
Cool, now ther'll be two to watch, crank up the A models:U.

munruben
28th December 2010, 11:20 AM
would you prefer I start a new thread for the utility version? I am open to comment from everyone.
JimNew thread please, love to see your work.:2tsup:

elderly
28th December 2010, 04:21 PM
Yes Jim I would love to see your work. This is my first car so I should be able to learn a lot from you.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
28th December 2010, 04:38 PM
I got the wheels finished today. I made a simple jig out of mdf to locate the inner and outer rims while i fit the spokes. Once i was happy with the position of the spokes i placed a small amout of super glue with the tip of a toothpick in the grove of the inner rim to hold the spokes there and the same around the outside of the outer rim. Once they were dry i trimed off the outside of the toothpick sanded them smoothe and fit the tyres.
I decided to make the hubs and axles out of aluminium.
Cheers Elderly

crowie
28th December 2010, 04:57 PM
The wheels mounted to the chassis actually look the real deal,
as in full size restoration rolling chassis.
Thanks for the update "elderly".
cheers crowie

AUSSIE
28th December 2010, 07:24 PM
Great progress and top work Elderly.I will burn some midnight oil and try to catch up with this wheel making business.Very impressive.
Looks like the new year is going to bring out some top models.
Ir will make us all ramp up our skills a bit.A good thing I think.
Aussie:-

powderpost
28th December 2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks fellows, I feel better now. Will start a new thread in the new year, I really do not want to steal Elderly's thunder. Plus, we have to visit my mil for her 85th :oo: birthday on Thursday. Would MUCH rather spend the time in the shed.. :2tsup::2tsup:

Elderly, some modifications I made, suggest you change the angle for the steering column through the base plate to 30 degrees. 45 degrees does not work. I changed mine to a right hand drive and swapped the gear stick and brake around. I bored the holes for these at slight angle so the gear lever leans slightly back, looks better. Also cut 1/8" off the bottom of the rear mudguards, so the running board goes under the guard. Much easier to fit and looks much better.

Watching with interest.

Jim

munruben
29th December 2010, 11:27 AM
got the wheels finished today. I made a simple jig out of mdf to locate the inner and outer rims while i fit the spokes.Could you explain this in a little more detail for dummies like me, Sorry elderly, I am a bit thick.:)

munruben
29th December 2010, 11:31 AM
The Wheels look excellent attached to the chassis. I'm going to try and use the same method to make the wheels on one of my next projects. I have some great ideas from both your jig and a jig AUSSIE posted a while back and between the two I should be able to come up with something that looks like a decent wheel.:2tsup:

elderly
29th December 2010, 02:54 PM
Hi munreben,
As you can see from the pic I posted this jig is just a piece of MDF with a 6mm hole through the centre which is then counterbored to accommodate the centre rim. The outside of the disc is has a step in it to fit the inside of the outer rim. Both the centre counterbored hole and the outer step are the correct depth to ensure that the spokes run on the right plane. A 6mm bolt is place through the centre hole and the inner rim slipped on it, the outer rim sits around the outer lip of the MDF this keeps the inner rim central to the outer rim. I hope this makes sense to you.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
29th December 2010, 03:00 PM
Hi Jim,
You do not have to worry about stealing my thunder I don't see this forum being about one's thunder but as a place to share and learn from each others passion for what we do.
I appreciate your couple of tips and one came just in time. I would have drilled the hole at 45deg before reading your post had it not been so stinking hot in my shed; I was going to do it this afternoon. If the weather forecast is correct I won't be doing much for a while.
Cheers Elderly

munruben
30th December 2010, 08:54 AM
Hi munreben,
As you can see from the pic I posted this jig is just a piece of MDF with a 6mm hole through the centre which is then counterbored to accommodate the centre rim. The outside of the disc is has a step in it to fit the inside of the outer rim. Both the centre counterbored hole and the outer step are the correct depth to ensure that the spokes run on the right plane. A 6mm bolt is place through the centre hole and the inner rim slipped on it, the outer rim sits around the outer lip of the MDF this keeps the inner rim central to the outer rim. I hope this makes sense to you.
Cheers Elderly
Thanks elderly, appreciate the explanation :2tsup:

elderly
4th January 2011, 05:48 PM
The roadster is on the backburner for a while. The boss has given me permission to move out of my shed into the double garage. The shed is too hot to work in over the summer. At the moment I am organising for additional lighting and power points. I will also be painting the walls white; they are bare brick at present.
Cheers Elderly

AUSSIE
12th January 2011, 08:37 PM
The roadster is on the backburner for a while. The boss has given me permission to move out of my shed into the double garage. The shed is too hot to work in over the summer. At the moment I am organising for additional lighting and power points. I will also be painting the walls white; they are bare brick at present.
Cheers Elderly

Elderly,how is the shed going?
I was watching the news tonight,and it said that there was flooding in your area.
Hope all is well mate:oo:

Yonnee
13th January 2011, 09:10 AM
:whs:

While everyone's been focusing on Brisbane, we can't foget our Victorian brothers too.

Hope you're on high ground.

elderly
13th January 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi Aussie,
The new workshop is coming on well the electricians are here at the moment. I should be back in action next week.
It is pouring rain at the moment. We have not had much of a problem yet and hopefully we won't but streets just a few hundred metres away have had moderate flooding. We lost everything in the Black Saturday fires so we don't need it again.
Thanks for your concern.
Cheers Elderly

elderly
18th January 2011, 05:05 PM
I am now back in action and I have done a little on the roadster, I made and fitted the front mudguards and made the bonnet and firewall. They are not attached at the moment. They won't be until I make the grill and body and make sure everything fits. I hope to get a bit more done tomorrow.
Cheers Elderly.

munruben
18th January 2011, 10:41 PM
Looking sweet.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: hope you don't have any problems with the floods in your area.

AUSSIE
18th January 2011, 10:45 PM
Back in action is right.These things must have found a way to breed:D:-
Just kidding.
Your model will be finished shortly ,the way you going:2tsup:

elderly
19th January 2011, 03:53 PM
Hi munruben,
We have had flooding in our city as you have probably seen on TV. We live at the other side of the city and have not been affected. At the moment they are having big problems just down the river from us.
Cheers Elderly.

elderly
19th January 2011, 06:52 PM
Today I made the rear mudguards and bits for the steering.
Cheers Elderly.

powderpost
19th January 2011, 10:09 PM
Looking good Elderly. If it is not too late, I would suggest you cut 1/8" of the bottom front end of the rear mud guards, and allow the running board to go under the end of the mud guard. Much easier to fit the running board and looks a lot neater.
Coming along very nicely.
Jim

AUSSIE
19th January 2011, 10:23 PM
Coming along fine,Elderly.
Love your Work in Progress shots.They show how it is done very well.:2tsup:

elderly
20th January 2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks Jim. I remembered what you said about cutting the 1/8 off the rear guard, I will be doing that. I won't be doing much over the next few days, other things to do.
Cheers Elderly.

Yonnee
20th January 2011, 05:16 PM
Love it Elderly. :2tsup:

Watching with anticipation.

elderly
26th January 2011, 03:48 PM
A few more WIP pics on the roadster.
Rear seat assembly, sides fitted to rear seat assembly, dash fitted and a mock up of assy. Nothing has been glued to the base yet.
Cheers Elderly.

crowie
26th January 2011, 04:42 PM
Lookin Good Elderly.
Thanks Heaps for the WIP photos.
Cheers, Crowie

Scott
26th January 2011, 09:35 PM
Must subscribe, I love this sort of stuff. Keep up the good work!

munruben
28th January 2011, 07:51 AM
Excellent, good to see you back on the job. Pleased to hear you kept high and dry in the recent floods. This is a great WIP :2tsup:

Yonnee
28th January 2011, 09:28 AM
They say actions speak louder than words, so I've put this in the Best of the Best (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f64/best-woodwork-forums-16776/) section in the Library. :2tsup:

elderly
7th February 2011, 05:21 PM
Due to the hot weather and a few health problems I have not done anything on the roadster until yesterday. I managed to get a few things done over the last two days.
Made and fitted the front seats. Made the roof, made and fitted the grill. Unfortunately the photo of the grill is dark and does not show the detail I will get my wife to take a proper one at some stage. Also a couple of pics of the roof sitting on the body but not fitted yet.
Cheers Elderly.

crowie
7th February 2011, 05:32 PM
Just Great Elderly

munruben
7th February 2011, 07:15 PM
Terrific.:2tsup:

AUSSIE
7th February 2011, 09:32 PM
Going along great now Elderly.Nearly finished?
Well you have inspired me.I have made six wheels last week.So now I will have to make something to put them on.
Congratulations on getting this Model A in the Best of Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f64/best-woodwork-forums-16776/).In the toy section.
Not even finished and already in there :clap3::yippy:

Billy
9th February 2011, 08:29 PM
Top stuff Elderly,
will be watching this build with much interest
cheers
billy

AUSSIE
9th February 2011, 08:42 PM
Top stuff Elderly,
will be watching this build with much interest
cheers
billy
Yey Billy _Your Back at last.Yeh Elderly does a great job I cant wait to see the next lot of photos.:2tsup:

elderly
10th February 2011, 03:56 PM
Not a lot to show today. I spent time on the fiddly bits, handles and stuff and getting the taper correct at the back of the car for the rear fenders. I also glued the body to the car and cut the bits for the rear rack.
The first pic shows the taper at the back of the car and the other two show the rear fender in place ready for glueing. I should have the car finished over the next few days so the next pics will be of the finished roadster.
This morning I ordered a couple of display cases one for the roadster and one for the stagecoach. I could not be bothered making them. When they are ready I will make the bases for them out of Tassie Oak. I have got heaps of it because we are having a new kitchen fitted and I have got the old one to play with.
I have already ordered the plans for my next project but I will not be starting it for a month or so as we are going on holiday in a couple of weeks and I have things to do around the house and garden before we go.
Cheers Elderly

munruben
11th February 2011, 09:38 AM
It's looking absolutely fantastic, can't wait to see this one finished. :2tsup::2tsup:

AUSSIE
11th February 2011, 10:03 AM
It's looking absolutely fantastic, can't wait to see this one finished. :2tsup::2tsup:
You and a lot of thers are waiting
.One top model:2tsup:

elderly
13th February 2011, 05:11 PM
A few pic of the completed roadster. Thanks for your support whilst i was making it.
Cheers Elderly

crowie
13th February 2011, 05:19 PM
Just beautiful Elderly.
Thank you taking the time and effort to share your workmanship.
Cheers, Crowie

Ruddy
13th February 2011, 10:39 PM
What he said:aro-u:
super workmanship Elderly

nine fingers
14th February 2011, 10:08 AM
Beaut looking car:2tsup:, congratulations Eldery. cheers John.

munruben
14th February 2011, 01:49 PM
Now that is really something, Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. I love it. Well done and thanks for sharing this one with us Elderly, pleasure to watch it develop and compliments to the photographer too, very nicely photographed and presented. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
16th February 2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you for your kind posts. Munruben my wife thanks you for your kind remarks on her photos.
Are you back into toy making yet?
Cheers Elderly

munruben
16th February 2011, 07:02 PM
Thank you for your kind posts. Munruben my wife thanks you for your kind remarks on her photos.
Are you back into toy making yet?
Cheers ElderlyYes still making a few but working of some new ideas and hope to get stuck into those soon.

Billy
22nd February 2011, 10:42 PM
top stuff elderly,:2tsup:
youve got some competition now ay aussie?:U
cheers, billy:o

scotty60
24th February 2011, 08:44 PM
Bloody hell everyones been busy, so many models happening, great job elderly looks fantastic as always.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

elderly
25th February 2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks Scotty, good to see you back.
Cheers Elderly