PDA

View Full Version : Worm screw issues...

Imallchalkedup
19th December 2010, 02:31 PM
Ok, I'm sure this is come up before, but I just notice when I put my new 3" bowl jaws on my supernova 2 chuck that the worm screw is to short now to thread onto anything.:oo: Does teknatool make a longer worm screw for these jaws, what gives? :?I don't want to take off the jaws everytime I want to use the worm screw, any help appreciated, thanks.:)

RETIRED
19th December 2010, 02:38 PM
If it is this set, NOVA 75mm Long Nosed Jaw set (3") (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/75mm_longnosed.htm) I think the short answer is no.

RETIRED
19th December 2010, 02:42 PM
If it is this set NOVA 75mm (3") JAW SET (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/75mm.htm) I think you will still have trouble because they have thicker i.e. longer jaws with "shark" type gripping. I thought there should be about 1/2" still sticking out of the jaws.

rsser
19th December 2010, 03:54 PM
Yup.

The woodworm screw is intended for use with the jaws that come with the chuck. 50mm?

Even then, the setup doesn't make that sound a base so add a washer out of quality ply or thin plakky breadboard.

rsser
19th December 2010, 03:57 PM
And while I'm at it, alternatives are

1. A dedicated screw chuck, pref with a plate of around 10cm OD

2. Faceplate ring to use with your std jaws

ted hicks
19th December 2010, 04:05 PM
Wood Turning Accessories: Screw Chuck: Make your own (http://aroundthewoods.com/schuck.shtml)
I made about four of these yesterday. Two with screws and two with flat glue blocks. I have yet to use them, but am sure they will do fine.

NeilS
19th December 2010, 04:12 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but the screw that comes with the PowerGrip jaws may work with those jaws. May have to use some spacing disks. I have both and if helpful I could put together to see if it works.

hughie
19th December 2010, 04:21 PM
SN2 long jaws wont work with the screw as Ern has put it , 50mm or 100mm, 130mm and 25mm pin set,or basically any low set jaws should be ok.
But and its a big but make your self a backing plate to support the blank as its screwed onto the screw chuck. I have several differing diameters. Any left and right or up and down movement whilst turning and the screw is likely to pull out of the timber.

'Tis unpleasant when it occurs.......... :C :U I speak from experience .

Imallchalkedup
20th December 2010, 04:16 AM
If it is this set NOVA 75mm (3") JAW SET (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chuck_Accessories/75mm.htm) I think you will still have trouble because they have thicker i.e. longer jaws with "shark" type gripping. I thought there should be about 1/2" still sticking out of the jaws.

Thanks for all the replies guys and gals, it is the 75mm (3") but I believe nothing stick out at all, so I guess I will try making my own screw chuck like others have mentioned. Thanks again everyone.:U

Imallchalkedup
20th December 2010, 05:55 AM
Well, I went back to look at it after telling everyone it didn't stick out at all and I was wrong:-, it does actually stick out about 1/2 inch so I was able to finish what I was doing, sorry for the confusion though and I do still wish that teknatool would come up with a longer worm screw for these Jaws just for a little more reassurance.:wink: thanks again guys.

Grant Mack
20th December 2010, 09:46 PM
Hello All,
Teknatool actually does make a longer woodworm screw for use when the Cole Jaws & the standard jaws are used together.
I got one when I bought the Cole Jaws a few years ago.
They come in left and right hand threads.
A catalogue # WWCJ is what I found in my Accessory Jaw Manual.
Regards
Grant

Imallchalkedup
21st December 2010, 04:16 AM
Hello All,
Teknatool actually does make a longer woodworm screw for use when the Cole Jaws & the standard jaws are used together.
I got one when I bought the Cole Jaws a few years ago.
They come in left and right hand threads.
A catalogue # WWCJ is what I found in my Accessory Jaw Manual.
Regards
Grant
Thanks Grant, I will definitely look into that.:U

Drillit
21st December 2010, 08:55 AM
Hi Imallchalkedup,
Try a 75 mm coachscrew from bunnings - or longer if needs be. Think you find it works ok. Drillit.

Edwards
22nd December 2010, 02:34 PM
Ok, I'm sure this is come up before, but I just notice when I put my new 3" bowl jaws on my supernova 2 chuck that the worm screw is to short now to thread onto anything.:oo: Does teknatool make a longer worm screw for these jaws, what gives? :?I don't want to take off the jaws everytime I want to use the worm screw, any help appreciated, thanks.:)

I have used a Woodfast Screw Point Chuck for many years and its special threaded screw is a good length. I have not tried to use screw points that I have with other brand chucks I have as they don't appear as convenient.
Cheers
Edwards:B