PDA

View Full Version : Shelves and storage in the shed

michael_m
20th December 2010, 02:31 PM
Last week was the start of holidays for me, and I managed to grab some time in the shed. My main problem (apart from a lack of time and skill) is that I don't have anywhere for my tools to go, and my bench is so messy, I can't actually build anything.

So, I built a bench/shelf for my drill press, scrollsaw and engineering vice to go on. It looks a bit rough, but it's as solid as a rock and the best part of it is it was built out of odds-n-sods that were lying around the place and cost me nothing.

The tool cabinet is one I built a few weeks ago, one weekend out of some 12mm plywood. It's just a box, cut open on the tablesaw and joined with a piano hinge. I haven't finished filling it yet, because I'm not sure what Christmas will bring in the way of new tools. The original reason I built it was to house the 19 chisels I picked up on ebay for $50, but it has helped me make some order out of the mess that was my tools.

Sturdee
20th December 2010, 04:02 PM
It's a good start in getting organised, the bench looks quite solid.

What I would suggest is that you look at getting some drawer units (bedroom drawer units thrown out by others is ideal) or build shelves underneath to help store small items.

Peter.

michael_m
20th December 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Peter, many thanks for your comments.

The space underneath is actually for my table saw to go under when we need to put the cars in the garage. I do plan to build some shallow drawers on the underside of the bench though, to hold drill bits and other accessories.

The bedroom drawers are a good idea - I have a bedside drawer unit to the right under my main workbench where I keep my painting and sanding stuff, but I have the space and need for more. Unfortunately my local council doesn't do big kerbside hard rubbish collections, so it will be chance alone that supplies me with any more.

Cheers, Mike