PDA

View Full Version : Turning lessons or clubs in SA?

gcampbel
21st December 2010, 01:00 AM
Hi,
I'm a beginner who's just bought a lathe and I'm really keen to get a few lessons on basic turning techniques and sharpening before I get stuck in (just can't remember much from high school tech studies when I last touched a lathe!). Can anyone recommend a good teacher/school/club in Adelaide? From google it doesn't look like there's much out there!
Cheers,
George

RETIRED
21st December 2010, 07:20 AM
Woodgroup South Australia wood working clubs (http://www.woodgroupsa.org.au/wSA/clubs.html)

Jim Carroll
21st December 2010, 09:18 AM
Tim Skilton would also be one to approach, he does the have a go demos at the wood shows.

cookie48
21st December 2010, 02:14 PM
I agree with the Tim Skelton bit. Have had lessons from him. Good guy to boot.
Cookie.
P.S. He loves a red to.

RETIRED
21st December 2010, 02:27 PM
I agree with the Tim Skilton bit. Have had lessons from him. Good guy to boot.
Cookie.
P.S. He loves a red to.Cor, don't tell him that, his head is big enough. :whistling2:
:D

gcampbel
21st December 2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your tips. I reckon I'll get along to one of the clubs as a first step. Here I was thinking there weren't any out there and now I've got too many to choose from!

Sawdust Maker
21st December 2010, 08:26 PM
I agree with the Tim Skelton bit. Have had lessons from him. Good guy to boot.
Cookie.
P.S. He loves a red to.

That would be a bit of red gum, would it?

jefferson
21st December 2010, 08:30 PM
George, go get 'em. :2tsup::2tsup:

Can I suggest a few things?

Turn something, anything, as best you can TODAY. Before lessons, instruction etc. And put it aside for safekeeping.

Take your lessons then turn the same piece. Same process, put it aside.

Practice some more, read books, articles, watch DVDs and then again turn the same piece.

The timeline may vary but the outcome will not. And don't throw all those terrible turnings away. Gentle reminders they are about the past and your progress.

gcampbel
21st December 2010, 08:53 PM
George, go get 'em. :2tsup::2tsup:

Can I suggest a few things?

Turn something, anything, as best you can TODAY. Before lessons, instruction etc. And put it aside for safekeeping.

Take your lessons then turn the same piece. Same process, put it aside.

Practice some more, read books, articles, watch DVDs and then again turn the same piece.

The timeline may vary but the outcome will not. And don't throw all those terrible turnings away. Gentle reminders they are about the past and your progress.
Thanks for the good advice Jefferson. I'd love to be turning something right now but still need to buy chisels and grinder! After googling for hours on what gear to buy I thought I'd do better to hold off and get some lessons first. But not sure if my self control will last the Xmas holidays:)

Nai84
21st December 2010, 10:25 PM
Hey gcampbel

Well the best thing I ever did was join this forum as these guy are champions and will help you as best they can what ever the issue may be I also meet HazzaB and stuffy here on this forum and I have learnt alot from them I like catching up with them as I always learn something new when I am around them but the other thing that I love about wood turning is that I always have fun while I am doing it and I love nothing better then just making curlies so when you are ready to listen and learn, but also remember that what suits others may not suit your style of turning and you just have to adapt your own style so good luck and remember HAVE FUN :2tsup: coz I sssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooooooooooo cant wait to get back to my lathe :doh: god dam finger

GOOD LUCK

Ian

(also fairly new to wood turning)

cookie48
21st December 2010, 10:47 PM
That would be a bit of red gum, would it?
Yes about 26oz in size :D

gcampbel
22nd December 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the encouragement Ian, and I'm looking fwd to finding my own style!

Nai84
22nd December 2010, 02:56 PM
Hey gcampbel

Anytime mate good luck with your first piece when you turn it up and dont forget to share pics :D:2tsup:

Ian

NeilS
22nd December 2010, 03:54 PM
Woodgroup South Australia wood working clubs (http://www.woodgroupsa.org.au/wSA/clubs.html)

Tim Skilton would also be one to approach, he does the have a go demos at the wood shows.

I agree with the two suggestions from & Jim.

coffenup
22nd December 2010, 09:13 PM
Macwood also do turning lessons
welcome to another south oz learner turner
Regards Michael