PDA

View Full Version : A question for Gregory Q

Anorak Bob
22nd December 2010, 04:23 PM
Greg,

Back in a discussion we had in July, you mentioned that you had purchased a Walter rotary table. Any chance of a photo or two and a model number? And why the Walter rather than a Hauser, a Deckel or similar German table?

Bob T.

Greg Q
23rd December 2010, 05:04 PM
Greg,

Back in a discussion we had in July, you mentioned that you had purchased a Walter rotary table. Any chance of a photo or two and a model number? And why the Walter rather than a Hauser, a Deckel or similar German table?

Bob T.

Funny story about that table: The seller organised shipping to the west coast depot of USAtoAUS. They in turn have a fairly casual (ie, on request only) confirmation of receipt. After a lot of back and forth with the various parties the seller discovered the guy he entrusted with the shipping still had it (meth head). He got it back, apparently with a struggle, and is supposed to be shipping it now. So as it stands now it is either finally enroute to the ocean shipper, or it was all B.S. and it isn't.

There is a container leaving soon, so best case I'll have it late Feb. Worst case-well, there are lots of possibilities for me owning a nice shiny Vertex someday.

To answer your question about brands, I asked around on the Deckel forum and Walter always got a favourable mention. Deckel not so much. Walter were carried by Dapra in the states back in the day, and they sold a very nice line-up of tools. Also the Deckel is a 15" table which weighs 80kg...the Walter at least is theoretically possible to lift.

The Model is a RT 250, which is simply "rundtisch 250mm" dia.

When I was looking there were no Hausers or Sips around. I'd love a nice Swiss or German optical rotary-maybe next time.

Greg

On edit2: the tee-slots match the 12mm slots on the Deckel too which is important to me. I have a bunch of those helical clamps in 12mm and didn't want to tool up for a different tee slot dimension.

Greg Q
23rd December 2010, 06:24 PM
Here's a picture I finally dug out of an archived safari page:

turns out it's an RTL 250G

I think the "G" stands for a German word indicating graduated. The handle turns a 2 arc-second vernier scale instead of indexing plates. Not sure if plates can be fitted but that doesn't matter to me since the Deckel divider has the index plates and it can be used in any orientation. (It also sports a vernier scale too)

On edit: I remember now that I searched really hard to find a European table here with no luck. The good tables that you do see tend to be massive Nikkens or similar-too heavy for me. The brands I searched for were Hoffmann, Hauser, Walter and Moore. The prices seem to rocket once you get bigger than about 10"-12". There is a beautiful looking 12" Moore on ebay Canada right now for around $500 and a 10" Walter two-position for $300

The Americans HSM guys often mention Troyke, but they seem to prefer their home brands.

Anorak Bob
23rd December 2010, 11:09 PM
That's not fair Greg. Now I wish I didn't ask for a photo...

I've seen the Moore. It's been on offer for quite a while. I'll have a look at the Walter but I imagine for that price it's got more than tee slots in the table!

There was an appropriate 10" Schaublin table on Ebay a few months back. It sold for about $760 US. Then you've got the cost of shipping.

This ain't no budget hobby!

BT